Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford to Cork Commute (daily)

• 07-09-2018 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, just wondering is there any one around Waterford City / East Waterford that commutes daily to Cork for work? If so what location & to and from?

Is it do-able?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

Hi Folks, just wondering is there any one around Waterford City / East Waterford that commutes daily to Cork for work? If so what location & to and from?

Is it do-able?

Years ago I used to cummute to carrigtoohill from Waterford. Definitely do-able but you'll be worn out after a few weeks. On a good day its 90 mins to the Dunkettle/Tunnel. Castlemartyr can get very busy heading back towards Youghal direction during peak hours. The dunkettle is being altered(not sure when) so be prepared for extra delays there when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

I have done for a time but it took too much out of me and I ended up sleeping for most of the weekend after it. anything east of the tunnell is very doable, i was always out killarney road side however.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I know someone who did it for 5 years, he swore that it wasn't as bad as everyone said. I don't think I'd be able for it. I did an hour commute each direction for a few years and found that tough enough

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Probably doable but you may not be physically or mentally well after some time of it

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

I did it for a while. It wears. All about the location in Cork and times you hit the traffic- you are looking at 1.5hr each way, that is 3 hours in the car per day, 15 hours overtime. Four things to think about?

Is your employer flexible? See if the employer is interested in you working a day a week from home. Think about doing a long day with an overnight stay in a B+B so that takes out some car time. It is not a reliable journey, so if you have a hard arrival time you will need a big buffer.

You need a decent car that is cheap to run this distance over. Do this up front if you can.

You will have an amazing relationship with radio presenters after a few weeks. Watch your weight, you have to be super disciplined not to start treating yourself and skimping on exercise. Get a yoga class, sitting is the new smoking.

Check out car sharing. Try the university and IoT as they have a large volume of daily commuters, but lining this up to work seamlessly is not easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Is it do-able?

Would be very wearing commuting 5 days a week. A relation of mine travels it twice a week and stays in a b and b the other nights. He works just the other side of the tunnel.

As others have said Castlemartyr backs up bigly and the Dunkettle can be ugly.

Any flexibility on times or location? That might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

Is it do-able?

I used to do it from waterford city to cork city, it's tough. ended up changing hours to 6.50am - 3.50 pm.. get to cork in the morning in about 80 minutes which was a breeze.

if you don't get out before the traffic in the evenings then you could be 2 n a half/ 3 hours getting home so if you have to work normal hours until 5pm your head will be fried. I ended up moving to Cork in the end, which i never wanted to do, but really enjoyed it up here, assume you want to avoid moving to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Is it do-able?

My husband did just outside Waterford City to Ringaskiddy for a year, 4-5 hours in the car every day and it was awful. He did 4 long days and finished at lunchtime on a Friday so he used to get home around 3:30 and go home to bed until around 6. He was very tired all the time and his diet was terrible.

The worst is all the roadworks, they finished digging up Killeagh only to start on Castlemartyr. There was also roadworks just starting on the way into Ringaskiddy before he finished up in his job, which we've heard on the radio are quite problematic.

It blows my mind that one of the busiest routes in Ireland goes through 2 small villages (Killeagh and Castlemartyr). It's such a pity they could never get agreement on a motorway or some sort of bypass route.

My husband did what he had to do to pay the bills and continue getting experience on his cv but it was tough going. I think your age, your family circumstances and your health are factors that would have a big influence on whether you can handle it. For example, if you have children, you'll be able to pay the bills and make sure they have food in their bellies but you basically won't see them Monday to Friday and will potentially miss important occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

I used to do it from waterford city to cork city, it's tough. ended up changing hours to 6.50am - 3.50 pm.. get to cork in the morning in about 80 minutes which was a breeze.

if you don't get out before the traffic in the evenings then you could be 2 n a half/ 3 hours getting home so if you have to work normal hours until 5pm your head will be fried. I ended up moving to Cork in the end, which i never wanted to do, but really enjoyed it up here, assume you want to avoid moving to Cork.

I am living in Cork 4 years!

Advertisement