Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5 week to half-marathon

• 07-09-2018 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

I have a half marathon in 5 week's time. I would like to know the type of training I should do for the best time. I hope to finish <120mins. I'd love to do 90 but I think that's unrealistic given the limited time.

I've run a couple of sub-2 hour marathons a few years back. My current fitness is pretty good but I only do weight-lifting and the occasional cardio. 10k is not a daunting run for me though - not sure about 21.

With such limited time, should I be concentrating on getting mileage in, or should I concentrate on shorter but faster? Both I guess.

Are there any tried-and-tested training schedules out there I could follow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Unfortunately five weeks is far too short a lead in to attempt a 'time' in a half with no base.

If you've ran sub 2 hour halfs before (obv that's what you meant), with a decent base and a good 12 week plan you should be able to comfortably do that again.

Run slow and easy as often as you can between now and then and just run/walk it for fun. Pick an early spring one and target that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I have a half marathon in 5 week's time. I would like to know the type of training I should do for the best time. I hope to finish <120mins. I'd love to do 90 but I think that's unrealistic given the limited time.

I've run a couple of sub-2 hour marathons a few years back. My current fitness is pretty good but I only do weight-lifting and the occasional cardio. 10k is not a daunting run for me though - not sure about 21.

With such limited time, should I be concentrating on getting mileage in, or should I concentrate on shorter but faster? Both I guess.

Are there any tried-and-tested training schedules out there I could follow?

weeks 1 and 2
    3 x 15km followed by 2 x 18km

Week 3 and 4
    3 x 16km followed by 3 x 12km

Week 5
    10km, 8km, 5km

If you manage your pace to around the 5.15-5.30/km you should be capable of a sub 2 hour without overly stressing yourself

I did rock n roll 4 weeks ago. My first half. Now I do run regular (parkrun plus 2 x 10/12km) but in the 6 weeks i kept doing parkrun but also was building distance and was doing the following on Sunday Tuesday thursday

12 13 14

14 15 16

16 17 18

14 15 14

14 14 14

10 08 05

Average pace was around 5.15/km. I did the half at 5.19/km but knockmaroon twice is why it was slightly behind that training pace. My parkrun average is 22.15 or so but I couldn't hold that tempo over anything longer then 10km so I didn't try. (I have done 6 sub 45min 10km) I ran at a slower comfortable pace to be able to build the distances

If you have garmin where you can go for a 12-14k run and try and keep your pace comfortable you will very quickly build that bit of endurance needed. And if the half course is flat you should be capable of sub 2 hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Thanks. Isn't 2 long runs per week excessive? Considering recovery time etc? 18 is only 3 short of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I've run a couple of sub-2 hour marathons a few years back.

Impressive. :pac:

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Impressive. :pac:

What I meant to say is I've run a couple of sub-2 hour baths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

What I meant to say is I've run a couple of sub-2 hour baths.

Even more impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    weeks 1 and 2
    3 x 15km followed by 2 x 18km

Week 3 and 4
    3 x 16km followed by 3 x 12km

Week 5
    10km, 8km, 5km

If you manage your pace to around the 5.15-5.30/km you should be capable of a sub 2 hour without overly stressing yourself

I did rock n roll 4 weeks ago. My first half. Now I do run regular (parkrun plus 2 x 10/12km) but in the 6 weeks i kept doing parkrun but also was building distance and was doing the following on Sunday Tuesday thursday

12 13 14

14 15 16

16 17 18

14 15 14

14 14 14

10 08 05

Average pace was around 5.15/km. I did the half at 5.19/km but knockmaroon twice is why it was slightly behind that training pace. My parkrun average is 22.15 or so but I couldn't hold that tempo over anything longer then 10km so I didn't try. (I have done 6 sub 45min 10km) I ran at a slower comfortable pace to be able to build the distances

If you have garmin where you can go for a 12-14k run and try and keep your pace comfortable you will very quickly build that bit of endurance needed. And if the half course is flat you should be capable of sub 2 hour.

That sort of training is beyond bonkers and shouldn't be recommended to anyone. Three runs a week in or around HM pace? Telling someone hoping for a 2hr half to train at 5:15/5:30 is verging on irresponsible.

I ran 17km in 1.40, average 05:46 min/km. It's slow but I just wanted an injury-free mileage run.

Any tips on how I'd build up speed? I have 4 weeks remaining.

Advertisement