Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster v Edinburgh match thread

• 07-09-2018 7:36pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordi looks great in white, really accentuates the tan.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Who is this ref ffs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

awec wrote: »
    Who is this ref ffs?

The new ref you love to hate?

Edinburgh try.

About to be 0-13

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

The breakdown penalties have been a mystery to me so far but Edinburgh seem more composed

Ulster need to tighten up here, Edinburgh don't quite deserve this lead.

• Advertisement

Venjur wrote: »
    Ulster need to tighten up here, Edinburgh don't quite deserve this lead.

We haven’t been bad. Some bizarre penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Was it McCloskey who made the terrible read in defence leading to the line being blown apart ahead of the try?

Gilroy left with no chance. Great pass out to the wing though, inch perfect. It's a long way back for Ulster but very doable. They need to cut out their errors and work on retaining possession for a few minutes. Too many simple errors and their kicking from hand and exits from Cooney have been poor.

Buer wrote: »
    Was it McCloskey who made the terrible read in defence leading to the line being blown apart ahead of the try?

Gilroy left with no chance. Great pass out to the wing though, inch perfect. It's a long way back for Ulster but very doable. They need to cut out their errors and work on retaining possession for a few minutes. Far too many errors and their kicking from hand and exits from Cooney have been poor.

Yea it was McCloskey, went for the Hollywood tackle.

Well no 13 has managed a full match against Ulster so that's... something

This commentary is seriously inane.

• Advertisement

This commentary is seriously inane.

Bit like BT when it first started with the forced 'bantz'. As people get more familiar with another I'd hope it improves

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Same old Ulster. Need a boot up the hole.

Take the bloody points.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

I can't even hear this match on bbc radio Ulster...what are my options for following?

Addison is an incredibly composed and tidy player. I think he's gonna be capped in the autumn.

Wake up Ulster

I would love to see Addison and Ludik playing together. Just feel like they'd gel immensely

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Here or twitter?

Brilliant turnover from McCloskey but that ball had to go wide. Why did Cooney take it into contact rather than trying to move it? Got lucky with a penalty a couple of phases later!

If I wanted to be finicky, Billy Burns completely sealed that ball off when Gilroy didn't make the line.

Jordi Murphy with the try. Good for him, has been quiet enough in attack.

EDIT: That's a try on the first angle. It's under his arm. Very harsh decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jordi's foot was in touch though.

Buer wrote: »
    If I wanted to be finicky, Billy Burns completely sealed that ball off when Gilroy didn't make the line.

Jordi Murphy with the try. Good for him, has been quiet enough in attack.

EDIT: That's a try on the first angle. It's under his arm. Very harsh decision.

I think his foot went into touch, right call by ref.

Jeez I'd have given that. I thought it was clear on the initial angle that he'd had the ball under his arm but the bottom of the ball was lower than his forearm?

I think his foot went into touch, right call by ref.

Will have to watch again, I thought he was still in. The TMO declined to give it on the basis of no clear grounding though which I think is extremely harsh.

Ulster have grown into it but Edinburgh are playing more smartly; they're a well coached side. Ulster need their halfbacks to start getting them down the field and playing for a little territory. The opportunities will come but they're playing far too much in their own half and coming under a lot of pressure.

Burns is distributing well but needs to take a bit more control. Cooney is having a poor game. Twice in the last 5 minutes he decided to pick and go when he had plenty of options including once on turnover ball with multiple players outside which was criminal. His kicking has been patchy too when you need a good foothold in the game.

The Ulster back row is second best across the board too. You'd expect a unit containing Coetzee and Murphy to be far more influential. Herring, Henderson and Kane are really taking it to Edinburgh up front though.

McCloskey, horrible error aside, is having a very good game. Some great defensive work and counter rucking as well as bashing over the gain line as usual. Cave looks like a guy who hasn't played that much in the past couple of years. Not nearly the error free guy he once was. Flashes of the old Cave mixed with some sloppy play.

Ulster are passing it about without taking it to the gain line. We need to be a bit more direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Can this match even be listened to anywhere?

THAT WAS A KNOCK ON REF FOR FCUK SAKE!!!!!!

Addison has really impressed me so far. Not flashy but very reliable.

• Advertisement

Cooney is an idiot. Picks and goes yet again after a half break. Lucky not to concede the penalty. I'd be losing the plot if I was the Ulster midfield.

Advertisement