Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Wood Stove to ASHP CH system?

• 28-08-2018 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I'm planning to get a heat pump heating system, will probably need to install UFH with it. There is an open fireplace in the house which I will convert to a stove.

I like the idea of using the wood stove as a back up in case of a very cold snap etc where ASHP are less effective. I realize the back boiler sucks heat from the stove though perhaps it's no bad thing in a well insulated house it might throw off too much heat in the living room.

What are people's thoughts/experience?

How much extra for the back boiler and to tie it into the accumulator?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Latro

Heat pump, UFH, back boiler stove, buffer, 2-3 pumps etc. How much are you planning to spend on all that?
    Burning sticks is very expensive form of heating imo, unless you get them for free.
    What do you have right now and how much it costs you to heat the house with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

It'll be a refurb. The ASHP will be primary source, and the stove is mainly to block up the existing open fireplace.

It won't be cheap all in, I'm simply wondering if for a smallish cost in the overall scheme of things its worth connecting to the accumulator which is going in anyway.

I was speaking to the agent for a Danish heat pump manufacturer and he didn't encourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can do it. It needs to be designed and then quoted.

Your architect or engineer might be able to do this. They may well charge you for this.

No one is going to price this up on spec because it is a good bit of work and it is so unlikely that you will go ahead with it. It will be expensive and give very little benefit.

Your architect or engineer might be able to suggest a way to get the best use out of the warmth of the stove on a cold day.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

Yes I think there's no need. If there's another beast from the east I can crank up the stove and open the internal doors!

Advertisement