Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glasgow Warriors vs Munster, Fri 7 Sep 19:35, Eir Sport

• 06-09-2018 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Glasgow Warriors team to play Munster in the Guinness PRO14 at Scotstoun Stadium, Friday 7 September, kick off 7.35pm - live on Premier Sports 2.

1. Oli Kebble (10)
    2. Fraser Brown (76)
    3. Zander Fagerson (70)
    4. Rob Harley (185)
    5. Jonny Gray (87)
    6. Ryan Wilson (CC) (141)
    7. Callum Gibbins (CC) (16)
    8. Adam Ashe (53)

9. George Horne (21)
    10. Adam Hastings (10)
    11. DTH van der Merwe (102)
    12. Peter Horne (139)
    13. Nick Grigg (43)
    14. Tommy Seymour (116)
    15. Stuart Hogg (108)

Replacements

16. George Turner (20)
    17. Jamie Bhatti (27)
    18. D'Arcy Rae (40)
    19. Scott Cummings (39)
    20. Matt Fagerson (26)
    21. Ali Price (57)
    22. Alex Dunbar (112)
    23. Niko Matawalu (93)

Players unavailable due to injury: Brian Alainu'uese (back), Bruce Flockhart (shoulder), Chris Fusaro (head), Siua Halanukanuka (foot), Sam Johnson (head / knee), Huw Jones (wrist), Lee Jones (achilles), Lelia Masaga (shoulder), Kiran McDonald (hand) and Tim Swinson (lower limb).

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Sammy Arnold, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Neil Cronin;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Mike Sherry, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Dave O’Callaghan, Tommy O’Donnell, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Fineen Wycherley, Tadhg Beirne, Duncan Williams, Joey Carbery, Jaco Taute.

Sammy Arnold in for Dan Goggin is the only change to the Munster starting team that dispatched the Cheetahs. It is all change on the bench as Wycherley, Beirne, Williams and Taute are in the line for their first appearance of the season. Beirne acts as backrow cover due to the absence of internationals and a number of injuries.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Meanwhile, this is the Celtic Cup team named for tomorrow's game vs Connacht.

Munster A:
    Stephen Fitzgerald; Calvin Nash, Matt More, Alex McHenry, Alex Wootton; Bill Johnston, James Hart;
    Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Ciaran Parker; Darren O’Shea (C), Sean O’Connor; Jack Daly, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Billy Scannell, Cronan Gleeson, Keynan Knox, Evan Mintern, Dan Walsh, Jack Stafford, Ben Healy, Liam Coombes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Good to see Taute lining out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's odd to see Carbery on the bench again. JJH must be going very well in training. Some impact off the bench available for Munster overall!

Interesting that Beirne appears to be covering the back row.

Buer wrote: »
    It's odd to see Carbery on the bench again. JJH must be going very well in training. Some impact off the bench available for Munster overall!

We are down to academy players in the backrow. Coombes was the replacement last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Is it really? give him a bit of time to gel in, he only landed to training when the internationals came back, I imagine he'll start against Ulster before the trip to the Aviva

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

Is Billy scannell of the Rory/Niall clan?

budhabob wrote: »
    Is Billy scannell of the Rory/Niall clan?

He is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A very tough fixture this early in the season. Glasgow away is always a difficult gig.

They have many internationals back already, and we don't.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Is it really? give him a bit of time to gel in, he only landed to training when the internationals came back, I imagine he'll start against Ulster before the trip to the Aviva

I'd have thought so, yes. Fair enough for last week but back to back bench appearances is surprising enough for a guy who is badly in need of games at 10 and is being seen by most as the starting outhalf. John Ryan is back in the team despite playing the same amount of rugby over the summer.

I think that JJH is going to make much more of a fight for this 10 jersey than many anticipated. I'd be shocked if we had to wait until the Ulster game for a start for him. There are two more games between tomorrow and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I think that JJH is going to make much more of a fight for this 10 jersey than many anticipated. I'd be shocked if we had to wait until the Ulster game for a start for him. There are two more games between tomorrow and then.

He's had plenty of time for fight for the jersey, he was wooden in Leinster last season. He kicking out of hand was average at best against Cheetas and missed what? 2 conversions.

I'm sorry but that's a little too rough around the edges for a ten.

• Advertisement

He's had plenty of time for fight for the jersey, he was wooden in Leinster last season. He kicking out of hand was average at best against Cheetas and missed what? 2 conversions.

I'm sorry but that's a little too rough around the edges for a ten.

I only saw about 10 minutes of his appearance. I thought it was ok. Kept things simple, made a mess of one opportunity on the 5m line but assisted for a try (made really by Sweetnam, I thought). The general opinion was that he looked really promising though so it's interesting to see your take on it which is probably closer to the impression I had from the brief spell I saw. I thought he was fine but will need to take the game by the scruff more.

As I said on another thread, JJH was given the nod towards the end of last season in the knock out games so clearly has the backing of JVG to some extent. It's up to Carbery to take the jersey but I see JJH getting the nod again as a sign that they're quite happy to stick with JJH if needs be; the coaches don't appear too worried about getting Carbery into the 10 jersey in a hurry.

EDIT: Actually not sure if you're talking about JJH or Carbery?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Meanwhile, this is the Celtic Cup team named for tomorrow's game vs Connacht.

Munster A:
    Stephen Fitzgerald; Calvin Nash, Matt More, Alex McHenry, Alex Wootton; Bill Johnston, James Hart;
    Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Ciaran Parker; Darren O’Shea (C), Sean O’Connor; Jack Daly, John Hodnett, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Billy Scannell, Cronan Gleeson, Keynan Knox, Evan Mintern, Dan Walsh, Jack Stafford, Ben Healy, Liam Coombes.

Ehh... Keatley's not injured right?

• Buer wrote: »
    I'd have thought so, yes. Fair enough for last week but back to back bench appearances is surprising enough for a guy who is badly in need of games at 10 and is being seen by most as the starting outhalf. John Ryan is back in the team despite playing the same amount of rugby over the summer.

Yeah I was excited to see who would start and whilst there is only so much you can read into the selection I think on the balance of probabilities it's most likely that JJ is currently first choice.

It's true that they might be drip feeding Carbery game time to get him upto speed or perhaps they are managing his minutes at the request of the IRFU but Munster are likely to be up against it this weekend against a conference rival and I think they'd have their strongest starting 15 on the pitch from the outside.

Back three cover isn't an excuse either as JJ went to fullback last week.

It's not a bad thing that they are backing the incumbent and giving him a chance, but it creates an interesting scenario. JJ had a free ride against the Cheetahs so this weekend will put him to the test. If it goes well it could be a fascinating season between the two 10's.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Ehh... Keatley's not injured right?

I don't think so, though as previously discussed Munster's squad updates have become threadbare on injury updates.

Regardless, playing Keatley in a game like this seems a waste of a position. Bill Johnston needs the games more. Bar match fitness, Keatley gains nothing from an A team appearance.

Perhaps he's the 24th man for Glasgow?

I only saw about 10 minutes of his appearance. I thought it was ok. Kept things simple, made a mess of one opportunity on the 5m line but assisted for a try (made really by Sweetnam, I thought). The general opinion was that he looked really promising though so it's interesting to see your take on it which is probably closer to the impression I had from the brief spell I saw. I thought he was fine but will need to take the game by the scruff more.

As I said on another thread, JJH was given the nod towards the end of last season in the knock out games so clearly has the backing of JVG to some extent. It's up to Carbery to take the jersey but I see JJH getting the nod again as a sign that they're quite happy to stick with JJH if needs be; the coaches don't appear too worried about getting Carbery into the 10 jersey in a hurry.

EDIT: Actually not sure if you're talking about JJH or Carbery?!

First guess is right, I was talking about JJ. I think JJ got in off the back of the Racing game, where Keats was shocking (as were most of the team), so he didn't win the shirt, Keats handed to him on a platter.

I can honestly say I've seen nothing beyond average from JJ, so I'd be 99% positive that they are just easing Joey in slowly to allow him to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

First guess is right, I was talking about JJ. I think JJ got in off the back of the Racing game, where Keats was shocking (as were most of the team), so he didn't win the shirt, Keats handed to him on a platter.

I can honestly say I've seen nothing beyond average from JJ, so I'd be 99% positive that they are just easing Joey in slowly to allow him to settle.

Did JJ go to FB when Carbery came on last week?

• Did JJ go to FB when Carbery came on last week?

Yes but they interchanged once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yes but they interchanged once or twice.

Could work out very nicely for both.
    & give Munster a bit more variety in attack.

If anyone could point me towards a link to watch this on I'd be very grateful for a pm!

• Advertisement

This isn't going well.

Too soon to take jj off?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,130 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Defence was excellent up to that part where they scored a try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Shambles from the TMO/ broadcaster not to be able find the footage of the clear out when the ref marked it at the time. Regardless of whether it was legal or not

TMO incident aside, you can't argue against the scoreline. Munster are getting bate out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Munster are just a shambles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Glasgow mauling Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 22,130 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That was a lovely little kick for that try.

Munster need to get out of our own half and put some pressure on glasgow

Double vodka please.

• Advertisement

• I'm not 100% certain if Sweetnam wasn't trying to showboat there a little bit.

Advertisement