Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blue Wave - Dublin GAA sought provincial status in 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Knew author before clicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Patww79 wrote: »
    Knew author before clicking.

It backs up the theory that the GAA should fund the Railway Cup, with Dublin competing against the other 4 provinces.

Dublin then can enter 4 district county teams into the inter county championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭dunnerc

It backs up the theory that the GAA should fund the Railway Cup, with Dublin competing against the other 4 provinces.

Dublin then can enter 4 district county teams into the inter county championship.

Not this rubbish again !!:rolleyes: haunting hoganstand with this as well.:rolleyes:

dunnerc wrote: »
    Not this rubbish again !!:rolleyes: haunting hoganstand with this as well.:rolleyes:

A journalist is asking these questions. It's a fair discussion. Politely contribute to the discussion or move onto the next thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭dunnerc

A journalist is asking these questions. It's a fair discussion. Politely contribute to the discussion or move onto the next thread.

Its a nonsense discussion , from a bitter poster , kindly move back to hoganstand with this rubbish.

• Advertisement

dunnerc wrote: »
    Its a nonsense discussion , from a bitter poster , kindly move back to hoganstand with this rubbish.

A number of respectable journalists are asking questions about the provincial funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A number of respectable journalists are asking questions about the provincial funding.

Ewan McKenna is not a respected journalist.

Neither is Colm Parkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ewan McKenna is not a respected journalist.

Why is he not a respected journalist?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

How long is a piece of string?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Split or join counties and you can keep the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Split or join counties and you can keep the whole thing.

Dublin GAA will be box office in the Railway Cup. The GAA will put all their support behind it. Incentives can be offered to ensure the best players are competing for all 5 provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Dublin GAA will be box office in the Railway Cup. The GAA will put all their support behind it. Incentives can be offered to ensure the best players are competing for all 5 provinces.

Mod Warning

legendary.xix please desist from posting in multiple threads re your opinion on whither Dublin should be considered a province.

Such discussion is best suited to the Changes in the GAA - super thread.

In addition please desist from the trolling or cards will be issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

This is getting really, really old.......
    Ballymun Kickhams provided six players to the Dublin panel this year……Let me tell you a little story about Kickhams. In the early 1990’s the club was in a terrible state, an aging senior team, huge gaps at underage, struggling to raise money for our own pitch and club house. Although I live 3000 miles away I was losing sleep worrying over the state of the club. At rock bottom, green chutes began to appear. A team of younger lads took an interest in underage and put a huge amount of work reviving juvenile football in the area. A year later Patty Christie got involved and things took off from there. Ballymun Kickhams are not a big or rich club. They have no club bar to fund the club activities, they rely on your usual fund raising events, raffles, golf outings etc. etc. The club created a bit of a stir a few years ago when the Feile team that year went out and washed cars, packed shopping bags and collected outside the church to raise funds for a team trip to Portugal. It has happened every year since…..This was not government or GAA money, all self funded. But the hard work, focus on team and skill building helped our club provide 6 players to a team that just it’s 4th All Ireland in a row.

Some will say (me included) that our success has led to some failure at club level, county champions in 2011 and losing All Ireland finalists in Croker in March 2012 we have failed to land a county championship since.

With a clear conscience I can say money played very little part in our success, I will actually go a step further and say that sometimes money gets in the way of such success. If Kickhams can do that why can’t Cork, Kildare and Meath do it……………or is the money getting in the way!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Can’t believe this crap is being spouted in three separate threads. I’ve not seen one single other person agreeing with the OP on this.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Can’t believe this crap is being spouted in three separate threads. I’ve not seen one single other person agreeing with the OP on this.

The discussion is now in this thread only as advised by a moderator. It's a reasonable and fair discussion. Funding was sought on provincial status grounds. This brings a level of responsibility with it.

The discussion is now in this thread only as advised by a moderator. It's a reasonable and fair discussion. Funding was sought on provincial status grounds. This brings a level of responsibility with it.

Ok but it’s only a discussion if someone engages with the idea - which I’ve yet to see anyone do. Didn’t realise it was started as a new thread on mods advice, apologies. Just thought you were getting carried away with the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

The Dubs on here put their fingers in their ears and cry "na,na,na,na" when you mention any of the unfair advantages they have or suggest changes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Dubs on here put their fingers in their ears and cry "na,na,na,na" when you mention any of the unfair advantages they have or suggest changes

What unfair advantages, pray tell.

No, everyone’s for change as long as it means improving the other counties, just not interested in dissolving or disimproving our county. None of us want to see North Dublin playing South Dublin in the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oh sweet Jesus this is ridiculous, why would anyone want to see this? Unless they wanted to start a discussion again on their current favorite topic of turning Dublin into a province.

• Advertisement

Because people don’t respect his journalism

What Dublin have achieved is fantastic and should be embraced. The Railway Cup seems to be the only competition that can provide Dublin a proper platform for the level they are at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What unfair advantages, pray tell.

Dublin have the funding of a province, sponsorship greater than any province, with government investment greater than any province, with the numbers of a province, playing most of their games in the national stadium. So stacked is it in their favour that the only thing that would be unbelievable was if they weren’t winning.
    What Dublin have achieved is fantastic and should be embraced. The Railway Cup seems to be the only competition that can provide Dublin a proper platform for the level they are at.

No I don't agree the Railway cup os the answer, but we do need to discuss changes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dublin have the funding of a province, sponsorship greater than any province, with government investment greater than any province, with the numbers of a province, playing most of their games in the national stadium. So stacked is it in their favour that the only thing that would be unbelievable was if they weren’t winning.]

Right so, lets combine Sligo/ Leitrim, Longford/Westmeath, Carlow/ Kilkenny, etc etc,, if population is a problem and dish out the finances accordingly.

Oh, and bye the way, the Leinster Council, which have 13 votes more than Dublin could mandate that Dublin play their qualifiers at either Parnell Park or at whatever other venue comes out first but for some reason they don't!

And furthermore, Dublin have no problem playing away,Tyrone twice last year, Mayo, Galway, Roscommon in Carrick the year before, Cavan, Monaghan, Kerry next year.
    What more do ye want? Dublin to play with 10 men.

I look forward to Kerry and Kilkenny being split in two also.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Way too many keyboard warriors looking for excuses instead of getting off their backsides and finding solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Squareball wrote: »
    This is getting really, really old.......
    Ballymun Kickhams provided six players to the Dublin panel this year……Let me tell you a little story about Kickhams. In the early 1990’s the club was in a terrible state, an aging senior team, huge gaps at underage, struggling to raise money for our own pitch and club house. Although I live 3000 miles away I was losing sleep worrying over the state of the club.

Don't remind me :( ... You went 3000 miles and I went to Isles ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭rpurfield

The downside to the earlier All Ireland is we now have three weeks extra of this rubbish between the final and the pre season competitions kicking off.

Squareball wrote: »
    Way too many keyboard warriors looking for excuses instead of getting off their backsides and finding solutions.

I've offered the Railway Cup as the solution. Providing a level of competition to embrace the standard being set by Dublin and matching the provincial status being sought.

Provincial status is not being sought that’s an old out of date plan that was put forward. When would this extra competition be run? Clubs would be delighted with less access to players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I've offered the Railway Cup as the solution. Providing a level of competition to embrace the standard being set by Dublin and matching the provincial status being sought.

How will Dublin playing and winning another competition solve any issue?

/me gets popcorn.

Advertisement