Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Easiest way to sell shares Kerry group

• 19-01-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi all
    Firstly not experienced in any way so welcome advice on this.
    Elderly relative inherited some shares in Kerry coop (not a lot i might add) last October or so some of them got converted into Kerry Group shares so they now have circa 120 Kerry plc shares which are worth circa €28 each.
    They want to sell them to do some home improvements, I want to help them as much as I can by pointing them in the right direction. It's not easy for them to get around but they can get to their local bank (small town)
    What's the easiest way for them to go about it, they are banking with BoI can they do it through them I can't seem to find anything online though in relation to that.
    AIB can sell the shares but somebody said to me that they were expensive also when I rang them up they said the person would have to have a bank account with them.

Is there an easy way for them to do It or is AIB the only easy option and take he hit on the higher commission.
    I'm also aware that capital gains may be an issue for them and have explained that but considering the sum is smallish I'm presuming it will be a small amount payable after you take the first €1200 or so out of it.

They just want to sell all shares quick as possible with the least fuss.

Any ideas
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Gun Shy wrote: »
    Hi all
    Elderly relative inherited some shares in Kerry coop (not a lot i might add) last October or so some of them got converted into Kerry Group shares so they now have circa 120 Kerry plc shares which are worth circa €28 each.
    They want to sell them to do some home improvements, I want to help them as much as I can by pointing them in the right direction. It's not easy for them to get around but they can get to their local bank (small town)
    What's the easiest way for them to go about it, they are banking with BoI can they do it through them I can't seem to find anything online though in relation to that.
    AIB can sell the shares but somebody said to me that they were expensive also when I rang them up they said the person would have to have a bank account with them.

Is there an easy way for them to do It or is AIB the only easy option and take he hit on the higher commission.
    I'm also aware that capital gains may be an issue for them and have explained that but considering the sum is smallish I'm presuming it will be a small amount payable after you take the first €1200 or so out of it.

Any ideas
    Thanks

if it was me , id hold on to them , kerry is a great company with a bright future in a very healthy sector of the economy , if however your relative just wants to be rid of them , sign up with a stockbroker

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brucewedders

irishh_bob wrote: »
    Gun Shy wrote: »
    Hi all

Any ideas
    Thanks

Hi, I'm just wondering if you managed to sell the shares and how did you go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Hopefully they didn't...

Why do you say that? I'm in a similar situation. Been left old Kerry co-op shares and would like to sell them just don't have a clue how to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

When you say you were 'left' these shares.....

do you have share certificates?

are they being held in an account on your behalf?

who has custody of the shares?

If they are being held in an account, for example a stockbroker account, on your behalf, then ask the broker to sell them.....(bearing in mind they will charge you a lot).

A port of call for any Kerry folk might be Fexco. The company owns Goodbody Stockbrokers in Dublin.....Fexco might be able to put you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

irishh_bob wrote: »
    if it was me , id hold on to them , kerry is a great company with a bright future in a very healthy sector of the economy , if however your relative just wants to be rid of them , sign up with a stockbroker

exactly the reason to sell them.....

(I'm being facetious here, but my point is that these things come and go in cycles......at the height of the technology boom, no one was interested in boring old food stocks and boring old Kerry Group.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Why do you say that? I'm in a similar situation. Been left old Kerry co-op shares and would like to sell them just don't have a clue how to go about it.

Because they are worth €38 a share now as opposed to €28 when they were thinking of selling! :)

Cheers for that. Ya I inherited them and have the share certs for both old and new since they were transferred. Looking to cash them both in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jacob1234

Kerry group shares are now €51, who would have predicte d this when this was originally posted. supposedly the bank is the easiest place to sell shares and you can sell approx €2000 worth exempt from Cgt each year

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

what do ye think about kerry plc shares now that their nearly a 100 euro..............sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

I see they are falling at the moment again...€93 as of today...Anyone know is this usual trend coming up to the dividend payout? Or does anyone know for a reason for recent drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jhncrwly

Rojomur wrote: »
    I see they are falling at the moment again...€93 as of today...Anyone know is this usual trend coming up to the dividend payout? Or does anyone know for a reason for recent drop?

There is usually a bit of a drop off prior to the ex dividend date for sure as some investors fear poorer than expected results, also the uncertainty around Brexit is a factor in the relative volatility of Kerry's price. I expect this to continue for the year ahead at least. They are a very strong company in a growing sector, they've put a lot of emphasis on growth through acquisition as opposed to generous divided payments. I have a few of these and would not like to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I sold some Kerry Co-Op shares recently.

For anyone looking to buy or sell Kerry Co-Op shares, CQ Investments have some sort of agreement with Kerry to do so:

https://brokersireland.ie/broker/c-q-investments-limited/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

How much are they making now if you dont mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

kerryjack wrote: »
    How much are they making now if you dont mind me asking

Theyre dropping consistently the last 4 weeks from all time high of €98.80 to just over €90 as of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Thats kerry group looking how much he got for kerry co op shares

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Can't remember the exact price, but something around €250 a share is stuck in my head. Could be wrong though.

Advertisement