Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting running routes around south Dublin city?

• 29-08-2018 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Long story short, I live around Harold's Cross and have run the area to death. Where's interesting :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Nothing really interesting closer than Phoenix park, but you're not too far from Bushy park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

How long is the run? Google Maps says Marlay Park is just 6kms away from Harold's cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nevan

If you go through Terenure to the Dodder you have three choices

Left along the Dodder through Milltown to Herbert Park and out to Ringsend
    Right along the Dodder through Tallaght and out towards Bohernabreena
    Straight through Rathfarnham turning at the Yellow House and up to St Endas, Marlay and, if you like hills, Kilmashogue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You've probably run the Grand Canal to death too, as it's right there. If not, worth a look in either direction. And if long runs are part of your training regime you can always extend your horizon across the Liffey if you've exhausted the Southside. The coast is the obvious choice but lots of options along the Royal Canal and the Tolka for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

positron wrote: »
    How long is the run?

yeah, this is a key question - if you are going further, you can run through Marlay up Cruagh, through Tymon up Bohernabreena...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Eamonn Ceannt Park is nearby

If you are doing longer out and back routes could be canal out towards Irishtown Nature reserve or up to Pearse Park/Marlay/Ticknock

Tymon Park is also within distance for an out and back loop for slightly longer and then Phoenix Park/War Memorial Gardens.

Belfield (UCD) trails also near enough.

Plenty of options to break it up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Why not head to the coast around Ringsend/Sandymount and run south towards Dun Laoghaire or north towards Howth directions?, lots of interesting scenary along the way (depending on the mileage you are looking to put in).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ronancremin

Try this, it will let you find routes of a specified length from any start point:

https://routespinner.com

Disclaimer: I made it (because I had the same problem you had)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Thanks all for the great suggestions! Reading through, it struck me that I tend to run straight through places without taking the time to loop around them. I've been through everywhere mentioned, like Irishtown, Marlay and the Dodder.

Over the next week I'll work in suggestions from here. My next stop will be the Dodder, where I'm going to explore all the parks along the way.

Serious cheers!

Try this, it will let you find routes of a specified length from any start point:

This looks brilliant! Is your site open? Have you a repo somewhere? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 ronancremin

Fenster wrote: »
    This looks brilliant! Is your site open? Have you a repo somewhere? :D

It's in GitHub but not public. Too embarrassed about the code to do so just yet. It changed from an experiment to something I thought useful enough to make available.

My personal use of it is to find options when I'm traveling. It may not find perfect routes but it gives you options to tinker with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

This is brilliant! Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Bookmarked! What a great idea.

It's in GitHub but not public. Too embarrassed about the code to do so just yet. It changed from an experiment to something I thought useful enough to make available.

My personal use of it is to find options when I'm traveling. It may not find perfect routes but it gives you options to tinker with.

Nothing to be ashamed of there!

Advertisement