Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disposing your rubbish in other people's bins

Options
  • 04-09-2018 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭

Just listening this morning on a radio station where the radio presenter was discussing about people disposing their rubbish in other peoples bins.

issues raised:

people clearing up after their dog on the pavement with a poo bag but rather than bringing it home, disposing it in someones wheelie bins on the way home...

People bringing their rubbish from home and disposing it in a bin at say at the retail park bins....

and of course the classic - when no-ones looking and after the neighbour has put out their wheelie bin for collection , nipping over and putting their rubbish in their neighbours bin ....

Whats your thought on all this? - and have you ever caught someone using your bin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Just listening this morning on a radio station where the radio presenter was discussing about people disposing their rubbish in other peoples bins.

issues raised:

people clearing up after their dog on the pavement with a poo bag but rather than bringing it home, disposing it in someones wheelie bins on the way home...

People bringing their rubbish from home and disposing it in a bin at say at the retail park bins....

and of course the classic - when no-ones looking and after the neighbour has put out their wheelie bin for collection , nipping over and putting their rubbish in their neighbours bin ....

Whats your thought on all this? - and have you ever caught someone using your bin?

Scummy
    Scummier
    Scummiest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

People cleaning up after their dog and putting it into someone's bin? Well, if the bin hadn't been emptied yet then I would be pretty OK with that. If the bin had been emptied then hell no.

As for the other two? Again, hell no.

Couldn't really care less. I've seen people pick crap up from the street and throw it in my bin, am I gonna give out to them? I've thrown an odd thing in a neighbour's bin on collection day when mine was full and seen others do it. If someone is piggy-backing on my bin then I'd be annoyed but if there's space in mine and theirs is full they can work away.

Couldn't really care less. I've seen people pick crap up from the street and throw it in my bin, am I gonna give out to them? I've thrown an odd thing in a neighbour's bin on collection day when mine was full and seen others do it. If someone is piggy-backing on my bin then I'd be annoyed but if there's space in mine and theirs is full they can work away.

I take it you don't 'pay by weight'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

The only time I'd put rubbish in someones bin would be if I was walking down the street with rubbish in my hand and no bin in sight, i'd pop it into someones bin if it was out on the street and already full, otherwise I'd hold on to it.

Rubbish in this instance being a crisp wrapper or something, not an actual bag of rubbish.

• Advertisement

I take it you don't 'pay by weight'.

Correct. Even at that when it was proposed here it was a stupidly high fixed charge and the extra for weight was low enough that a handful of crap wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's actually one of those things I could never imagine doing. I'd as soon put my rubbish through somebodies letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I had a neighbour do it to my bin, I only noticed it as they put their crap in after the collection.

I went through their three bags and found a delivery receipt and took great pleasure in returning their bags to their doorsteps.

The bags were a little ripped so some "items" may have spilled all over their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Only a scumbag would do it. It has happened to me twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

my dad caught red handed his next door neighbour doing it (only time he saw this neighbour, when he put something in his bin) , only some papers and the odd carrier bag full of rubbish - thing is my dad said if the neighbour only had a little bit of politeness to ask when his bin was full and if he was a good neighbour he most probably wouldnt have had a problem - but when caught my dad put him straight and warned him if he saw him doing it again there will be trouble (and my dad was very fit and intimidating and been in the marines LOL) ...and then it stopped after that (neighbour most probably put it in some other neighbours bin, if someone is in that mindset they are going to carry on doing it anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We don't pay per weight, only time I've stopped it is a dog walker through a bag into my recycling bin. I'd be ok with it being the landfill bin, even if it had just been emptied as I have a dog myself, but this was an empty recycling bin.

Thankfully I caught him and made him reach in and get it out.

The only time before that was years ago moving house. My Dad rented a skip and had started to put some stuff in, come out to find half a kitchen in there just dumped. We knew exactly where it was coming from so we took it out and threw it over the wall. I'd say the flower bed wasn't too pretty after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

There is a lovely picnic area maintained by residents at the entrance to our village. Saw a woman parked beside the bin yesterday trying to squeeze in a bag of domestic rubbish. The feckin neck of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If someone had just picked up their dog crap and my bin happened to be on the street, I wouldn't mind them sticking it in. Better in the bin than on the street. I'd do the same if I was a good bit from home and no sign of a bin.

If we say the typical pay by weight cost is 25c/kg and a medium sized sh1t weighs about 200g, then the cost of that dog **** to me is 5c.

Not exactly something I'm going to cry about unless every dog walker in the area is using my bin every day.

People putting their rubbish in the car and travelling to places to dispose of it is scummy though. And a bit weird. When you factor in the cost of your time in dealing with it, and the petrol to carry it, do you even save any money?

Sticking your rubbish in your neighbours' bins, extreme scumminess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

radio presenter said she knew a person with a 60grand BMW that used to put her rubbish in other peoples bins!

radio presenter said she knew a person with a 60grand BMW that used to put her rubbish in other peoples bins!

That's how she can afford a 60 grand BMW ... Badum Tish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I would rather a little bit of shít in my bin than on the footpath. However, I think the council should be doing a lot more to deal with people and their animals shítting on the streets.

Using somebodies bin for your waste is a bit of an arseholey thing to do. I'm talking about bags of waste, not a twix wrapper or whatever. People may be paying by weight and it's certainly not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Get a gravity lock - or put a wasps nest into it with aggravated wasps, when your vermin neighbour opens it up, he / she will be on their way to hospital in an ambulance.

That's quite a username lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Reminds me of my neighbor who went on holiday leaving an empty bin and came back to a full bin. He asked around including his brother in law who lived near by and everyone including bil denied knowing anything about it. So neighbor got the local council litter warden out who went through the rubbish and discovered mail. Guess whose it was, yep the bil :rolleyes: Never did get the end of the story must ask but last I heard it was going to court :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Everything is so common these days.
    Not an ironed shirt to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I do put sometimes put single pieces of litter and and dog sh1te in other people's bins. I don't see the harm in it and would only do it if the bins were out for collection the next morning.

My local council took away a lot of the public bins a few years and only replaced some with those bigbelly bins but not every one was replaced there's one stretch of road which is over a kilometre long which doesn't have a single public bin. As the the one which is on this road was removed.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I do put sometimes put single pieces of litter and and dog sh1te in other people's bins. I don't see the harm in it and would only do it if the bins were out for collection the next morning.

My local council took away a lot of the public bins a few years and only replaced some with those bigbelly bins but not every one was replaced there's one stretch of road which is over a kilometre long which doesn't have a single public bin. As the the one which is on this road was removed.

The problem is people put their household rubbish in council bins.

I've watched them around town doing it. Some old dear living in town will take a carrier bag full of rubbish with them every time they go shopping and dump it in the first empty bin they see. I've even watched as someone took crushed food tins out of a bag and place them one at a time into a small council bin attached to a lamp post.

Edit> Where my parents live they overlook a council car park with a bin in the corner, every morning the guy in the house next to them takes his dog out and takes a bag of rubbish from his house and dumps it in the council bin. I say they should report him but as neighbors they won't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

my3cents wrote: »
    The problem is people put their household rubbish in council bins.

I've watched them around town doing it. Some old dear living in town will take a carrier bag full of rubbish with them every time they go shopping and dump it in the first empty bin they see. I've even watched as someone took crushed food tins out of a bag and place them one at a time into a small council bin attached to a lamp post.

It's a shame these people take away their convience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

razorblunt wrote: »
    We don't pay per weight, only time I've stopped it is a dog walker through a bag into my recycling bin. I'd be ok with it being the landfill bin, even if it had just been emptied as I have a dog myself, but this was an empty recycling bin.

Thankfully I caught him and made him reach in and get it out.

The only time before that was years ago moving house. My Dad rented a skip and had started to put some stuff in, come out to find half a kitchen in there just dumped. We knew exactly where it was coming from so we took it out and threw it over the wall. I'd say the flower bed wasn't too pretty after that.

Rule 1 of Suburbia.

When a neighbour hires a skip thats the time to get rid of old mattresses etc when they have gone to the shops. Its better under cover of darkness and then keep peeping so you can see their reaction.

Edgware wrote: »
    Rule 1 of Suburbia.

When a neighbour hires a skip thats the time to get rid of old mattresses etc when they have gone to the shops. Its better under cover of darkness and then keep peeping so you can see their reaction.

No surprised really, took two old mattresses to the tip recently and had to pay €10 to get rid of each one :mad: Not that I'd fill anyone elses skip with rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I would rather a little bit of shít in my bin than on the footpath. However, I think the council should be doing a lot more to deal with people and their animals shítting on the streets.

Using somebodies bin for your waste is a bit of an arseholey thing to do. I'm talking about bags of waste, not a twix wrapper or whatever. People may be paying by weight and it's certainly not cheap.

Yes. I believe Local Authorities should employ more public servants to follow inconsiderate dog owners around our cities, towns and villages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Get gravity locks. Next door started putting stuff in ours when the pay by weight was introduced. Had a great laugh watching the confusion the first week we had them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This justifies Immediate Summary Execution. Though I'm not sure if a corpse is acceptable in brown bins these days, they've gotten so fussy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

my3cents wrote: »
    No surprised really, took two old mattresses to the tip recently and had to pay €10 to get rid of each one :mad: Not that I'd fill anyone elses skip with rubbish.
    There are other options. I had a fairly good mattress and I put it on Done Deal for 50 euro. Not one enquiry. After a week I said to hell with it and put it up for free. I had about eight calls within an hour and a Chinese couple came and took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cstaff

I actually had the opposite happen a few years ago - i was getting work done on my house and had hired a skip. After spending a day clearing out the house and garden I was on my way to work the following day and notice that various things had been taken off of my skip most notably an outside furniture set which was fit for nowhere else but the skip.

Regarding bins there is a man on my road who I regularly see walking up and down with small a rubbish bag in his hand and emptying at the bins over by the shop. I don't have a problem with this as such as bins are expensive and he is doing nobody any harm.

The other end of this is one morning I was on my way to work and my bin had been out since the night before and I went to add another bag to it and when I opened the bin there were about a dozen beer bottles / cans on top - now that pissed me off as there is quite some weight in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

cstaff wrote: »
    I actually had the opposite happen a few years ago - i was getting work done on my house and had hired a skip. After spending a day clearing out the house and garden I was on my way to work the following day and notice that various things had been taken off of my skip most notably an outside furniture set which was fit for nowhere else but the skip.

I was doing a clear out of the last house and i should have just left everything out in the garden rather than wasting money on a skip

word must have gone around the local site and as soon as darkness fell van after van arrived

skip left nearly empty

Advertisement