Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer 2018 in Revenue - Customs Trade Facilitation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Davio wrote: »
    With regard to the Customs Trade Facilitation posts, does anybody know what kind of work this would involve + also what the shift times would be? Thanks.

The Booklet outlines some of the duties for the role:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/campaignAdverts/97556/booklet

2. The Role

One of the functions of Revenue is to clear the movement of cargo imports from, and exports
    to, countries outside the EU and includes the following:

 Clearing goods in real time for import and export.
     Collection of duty and taxes.
     Detention and seizure of goods.
     Control of Warehouses.
     Control of Temporary Storage Facilities.
     Authorisation and Monitoring of Economic Operators.
     Processing refund claims.
     Counter service.
     Ensuring compliance with Customs law and procedures.

Trade Facilitation work operates on the basis of a shift pattern which is dependent on the
    basis of business needs of the trade and Revenue. Clerical Officers assigned to the trade
    facilitation unit may be involved in any of the following:

 Documentary checks for medium risk (orange routed) customs declarations and
    documentary checks as a result of EU or National profiles and discharging customs
    declarations on Revenue systems.
     Documentary checks for high risk (red routed) customs declarations and carrying out
    of physical exams on consignments in Revenue offices or approved Storage
    Facilities.
     Processing goods detained for further enquiry.
     Dealing with issues such as goods undervaluation or mis-declaration, or trade in
    counterfeit or prohibited goods.
     Documentary checks and liaison with other Government Departments and Agencies
    including the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM) for orange/red
    routed perishable goods.
     Documentary checks for exports and physical exams when required.
     Control visits to Customs and Excise Warehouses and temporary storage facilities.
     Verification and processing of refund claims.
     Payment processing.
     Processing of all customs declarations made to Revenue.
     Liaising with and providing service support for compliance to economic operators.
     Other duties as assigned by line management from time to time as appropriate to the
    role.

Vacancies may arise in Dublin, Rosslare/Wexford and Cork. The shift pattern will depend on
    the business needs in the location. It is likely that attendance will be required on a 24-hour
    7-day shift roster in Dublin. Alternative patterns will be required in the other locations
    depending on local business needs. The value of the shift premium will be dependent on the
    shift pattern, for example there will be a 25% premium for a 24-hour 7 day shift pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

Thanks mikefoxtrot! Just applied, fingers crossed and good luck to all applicants!��

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Davio

With regard to the Customs Trade Facilitation posts, does anybody know what the shift times would be? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Do you think it's worth applying for if you live outside these locations? As in if you had to commute, are the shift times manageable? Anyone doing same now?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

If this was also in Shannon I would have applied like a shot. Not near any of the location, annoyed as I would love this job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

Usually with Revenue, for Customs positions they prefer you to be able to commute within 45 minutes to an hour from your home to your work location. From personal experience, this is strictly enforced when the position is on call.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

As someone has also asked does anyone know what type of hours/shift for this also anyone know what you would expect to come out with a year after shift work ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Gaffer78

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    As someone has also asked does anyone know what type of hours/shift for this also anyone know what you would expect to come out with a year after shift work ?
    Thanks

Add 25% onto point 1 of the CO scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Banananana

Does anyone know whether they plan to take on EO and higher grades also?

Banananana wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether they plan to take on EO and higher grades also?

Revenue ran an EO campaign back in July for Tax, Audit and Compliance... they are also expected to run an AO campaign in about October.

After that the bog-standard PAS EO campaign (excluding Dublin) is due in early 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Basic pay will be roughly 30k with the shift allowance. Add in Bank Holidays and Sunday Premium thats another 3k or so.

Then add in any other allowances although im not sure which apply to the post.

Does one have to wear a uniform as part of this job?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dan 191

Is it ....wait and be called for a interview or is there online assessments anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dan 191

Davio wrote: »
    Does one have to wear a uniform as part of this job?

yes uniform are part of the job

Dan 191 wrote: »
    Is it ....wait and be called for a interview or is there online assessments anyone know

I presume it will be similar to the general service CO campaign. Well get an online questionnaire shortly after the closing date followed by an online aptitude test (verbal and numerical reasoning and error checking) then called to interview by order of merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Skip13

Revenue ran an EO campaign back in July for Tax, Audit and Compliance... they are also expected to run an AO campaign in about October.

After that the bog-standard PAS EO campaign (excluding Dublin) is due in early 2019.

Thanks for that information

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Will just one person be chosen or will there positions for a few people?

Will just one person be chosen or will there positions for a few people?

This one question I don't think anyone could answer.

In all these campaigns the name of the game is get as high as you can on the panel.

We can presume they ether have or are expecting vacancies to arise in Dublin, Wexford and Cork but how many in each location no one knows for sure.

If vacancies arise in other locations, they may well look internally who wants to transfer out of Cork, Dublin or Wexford which might open up more jobs or they might email people on the panel looking for expressions of interest to work in a different location.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fungijay

I've been trying to find out, is this the application for the 700 extra customs officer jobs announced back in July?

fungijay wrote: »
    I've been trying to find out, is this the application for the 700 extra customs officer jobs announced back in July?

From reading articles on the announcement they used the word "customs officials".

Its likely these roles are part of the 700 but i don't they are customs officer jobs a such, more like administrative support.

If i remember correctly the booklet says something like an initial 3 year contract which maybe renewed on a 2 yearly basis. If your contract isnt renewed with customs, you go back into revenue general service staff (which of course means you lose your shift allowance but on the brightside you gain a 9-5 job with flexi-time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 fungijay

From reading articles on the announcement they used the word "customs officials".

Its likely these roles are part of the 700 but i don't they are customs officer jobs a such, more like administrative support.

If i remember correctly the booklet says something like an initial 3 year contract which maybe renewed on a 2 yearly basis. If your contract isnt renewed with customs, you go back into revenue general service staff (which of course means you lose your shift allowance but on the brightside you gain a 9-5 job with flexi-time).

Thanks for the reply.
    Sorry, I meant to type customs officials, I'll blame autocorrect :)
    It didn't say anywhere in the advertisement how many positions are available and I was curious if it was part of the 700 jobs. From the contract length it does seem to tie in with brexit and the announcement the government made in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Em mag

Is the online test hard for this job and does anyone know where in Dublin it’s based , I have applied so fingers crossed 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Em mag

If that is the case and you go into general staff will your pay have risen , when working in the civil service does your pay go up every year or do you have to complete exams for that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

The application deadline has been pushed to the 11th to allow for the downtime on PAS.

Gonna apply for this later

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Em mag wrote: »
    If that is the case and you go into general staff will your pay have risen , when working in the civil service does your pay go up every year or do you have to complete exams for that

Pay will rise each year to the clerical officer pay scale. It's all in the information booklet on the job advertisement page for this campaign on the public jobs site. I'd be genuinely worried that people applying for jobs involving performing customs checks cannot figure out such basic information for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Pay will rise each year to the clerical officer pay scale. It's all in the information booklet on the job advertisement page for this campaign on the public jobs site. I'd be genuinely worried that people applying for jobs involving performing customs checks cannot figure out such basic information for themselves.

Could u not just answer the question without adding your smart comment at the end?

Does anyone know what the shift pattern will be for this job? Also, would one be required to wear a uniform?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I don't drive, will that be held against me?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭themom

Has anyone had a problem downloading the PDF?It is telling me I have to update my Adobe but I have done it and the same thing is happeneing on my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭CZ 453

themom wrote: »
    Has anyone had a problem downloading the PDF?It is telling me I have to update my Adobe but I have done it and the same thing is happeneing on my laptop.

Download it onto a file. Then open it via the saved file. That should do the trick provided you are opening it with the updated adobe reader.

Advertisement