Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scale Development

• 03-09-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Well out of my depth here, so looking for some advice. I'm writing a paper based on my masters thesis and other reviews of the literature I have carried out. My goal is to develop a psychometric scale based on this research. There are several exsisting scales out there already, conceptualising this construct in different ways. However, I would like to add to the extant literature, with a new scale and add one more psychimetrically sound factor to this scale.

I plan to use 5 exsisting factors from different theories, and add one more scale to this, whixh will bring the new scale up to 6 factors being measured. I feel this 6 factor scale best describes the construct in question.

My issue is the new factor i wish to add has no current scalebased on research outside of literature describing it. I was thinking a delphi study might be a way forward with getting face validity? If this is the right way forward, how do i go about it? FYI the new scale is listening, so basically I need the scale to measure this characteristic as percieved by the person filling it out.

Im sure i will need lots more advice and help, however, for now id like to stick with this aspect as to not go off track. Any words of advice greatly appriciated , stats really not my thing.

Edit. I want the scale to be behavioural based. I.e the person answering it is basing their response on observable actions of the other, as oppose to assuming intentions of the other etc

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

dar100 wrote: »
    FYI the new scale is listening, so basically I need the scale to measure this characteristic as percieved by the person filling it out.
    Have you read the following scholarly sources that measure various types of listening?
    • Tanya Drollinger, Lucette B. Comer, and Patricia T. Warrington (February 2006), Development and validation of the active empathetic listening scale, Psychology & Marketing, Volume 23, Issue 2, Pages 161-180.
    • Larry Vandergrift, Christine C. M. Goh, Catherine J. Mareschal, and Marzieh H. Tafaghodtari (September 2006), The Metacognitive Awareness Listening Questionnaire: Development and Validation, Language Learning, Volume 56, Issue 3, Pages 431-462.
    • Debra L. Worthington and Graham D. Bodie, Editors (August 2017), The Sourcebook of Listening Research: Methodology and Measures, Wiley Online Library.

If one or more of the scales shown in the above are useful to measuring your concept, you may suggest reliability and validity of your scale based upon the intersubjectivity of one or more of these sources. If so, I would pilot test your listening scales on 30 or more subjects and run a parametric statistical analysis. Of course, the greater the size of your sample, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Black Swan wrote: »
    Have you read the following scholarly sources that measure various types of listening?
    • Tanya Drollinger, Lucette B. Comer, and Patricia T. Warrington (February 2006), Development and validation of the active empathetic listening scale, Psychology & Marketing, Volume 23, Issue 2, Pages 161-180.
    • Larry Vandergrift, Christine C. M. Goh, Catherine J. Mareschal, and Marzieh H. Tafaghodtari (September 2006), The Metacognitive Awareness Listening Questionnaire: Development and Validation, Language Learning, Volume 56, Issue 3, Pages 431-462.
    • Debra L. Worthington and Graham D. Bodie, Editors (August 2017), The Sourcebook of Listening Research: Methodology and Measures, Wiley Online Library.

If one or more of the scales shown in the above are useful to measuring your concept, you may suggest reliability and validity of your scale based upon the intersubjectivity of one or more of these sources. If so, I would pilot test your listening scales on 30 or more subjects and run a parametric statistical analysis. Of course, the greater the size of your sample, the better.

Black Swan, as always you are a fountain of knowledge. Thank you. Based your above post I found this piece of research: Active Listening Attitude Scale (ALAS)
    (Mishima, Kubota, & Nagata, 2000)
    Brock Bybee MA Jonathon Frost MA
    Book Editor(s): Debra L. Worthington Graham D. Bodie
    First published: 25 August 2017 https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119102991.ch9.

It seems to be in the same environment that I am researching, work related. However, I have no access to databases or journals... can anyone assist with getting me access?, please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

dar100 wrote: »
    However, I have no access to databases or journals... can anyone assist with getting me access?, please?
    Will the university where you obtained your masters allow you access through the campus library?

Advertisement