Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on this gs 450h

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,032 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I priced these in the UK and found after VRT price was generally better here. If it was me I'd rather buy a far cheaper one 4 or 5 years older with higher tax which is essentially the same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you live with the tiny boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I priced these in the UK and found after VRT price was generally better here. If it was me I'd rather buy a far cheaper one 4 or 5 years older with higher tax which is essentially the same car.
    I don’t think I’d be able to get a years manufacture warranty on an older one, also I like the updated looks and more importantly updated media with Bluetooth and USB port.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Can you live with the tiny boot?
    i can for now but who knows what the future holds..

Mpg could be a problem if I moved jobs and had to drive 120km every day to Dublin and back but other than that I think it suits the driving I currently do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Motor tax @ €750?

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Motor tax @ €750?

Correct.

Does anybody know what executive spec is? Online I only see se and se-l? I’m assuming it is se cause there is no mention of the mark Levinson sound system.

With a full 12mo warranty, assuming no exclusions, its not outrageously priced if its all kosher- no prangs and FLSH. Bid 10.8k for cash and see if they'll bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I found the same. There's a limited market here for large engine petrols.

The pre-08 GS450H's are peanuts here, because of the 1.8k tax bill.
    I think there was a facelift in 2007 though, mainly on the trim and instrumentation.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-450h-hybrid-immaculate-full-service-hi/19370739

Here's one 3 years older, half the price and with slightly less miles.
    If you buy the 2007 for 6k, after 5 years you'll be 15k in, after tax.
    If you buy the 2010 for 12k, after 5 years you'll be 15.7k in, after tax.

So even with huge tax, it's cheaper to run the 2007, to a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can spot the facelift model easily enough, the side indicators were moved to the door mirrors and the rear light cluster is slightly different.

I think there was a facelift in 2007 though, mainly on the trim and instrumentation.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs-450h-hybrid-immaculate-full-service-hi/19370739

However, with the 07, you wont have the benefit of a 12 month manufacturer warranty. The advert does say dealer warranty included, but Id prefer the official Lexus one.

• Advertisement

If you were to sell both after those 5 years the 2010 would be worth a lot more so it would be better value. I’m not accounting for how much interest I would be paying on the newer one but you catch my drift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

However, with the 07, you wont have the benefit of a 12 month manufacturer warranty. The advert does say dealer warranty included, but Id prefer the official Lexus one.
    True, you get a 3 month warranty, not as good as the 12 month.
    Zurbaran wrote: »
    If you were to sell both after those 5 years the 2010 would be worth a lot more so it would be better value. I’m not accounting for how much interest I would be paying on the newer one but you catch my drift.

I suppose it depends on a few things. The 07 GS is full depreciated. Maybe you'll lose 2 or 3k in 5 years.
    The 10 GS will probably lose 6 or 7k realistically. It'll be a 13 year old big engine petrol. I'd well believe you'll struggle to sell either car in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I mused over that car recently but decided not to in the end as the console is missing a couple of buttons due to lack of sat nav (I had a GS previously with nav so it'd annoy me!). That car is for sale for six weeks at the very least, if not considerably more. I'm also reasonably sure it was cheaper - by about a grand - when I looked at the ad previously.

Practicality wise, I'd say you'd do well to get an average above 30mpg. Wouldn't really have any reliability concerns.

In terms of spec, Executive is the base but is well equipped compared to most. There is only one higher trim which adds nav, Mark Levinson audio (wouldn't be pushed - the 'basic' 10 speaker set up is fantastic) and bigger wheels, and that's about it IIRC (I reckon I have a contemporary brochure if you want me to check anything). Sport also had optional radar cruise control but this car doesn't have it. Wood wheel and gear selector optional on all models.

I mused over that car recently but decided not to in the end as the console is missing a couple of buttons due to lack of sat nav (I had a GS previously with nav so it'd annoy me!). That car is for sale for six weeks at the very least, if not considerably more. I'm also reasonably sure it was cheaper - by about a grand - when I looked at the ad previously.

Practicality wise, I'd say you'd do well to get an average above 30mpg. Wouldn't really have any reliability concerns.

In terms of spec, Executive is the base but is well equipped compared to most. There is only one higher trim which adds nav, Mark Levinson audio (wouldn't be pushed - the 'basic' 10 speaker set up is fantastic) and bigger wheels, and that's about it IIRC (I reckon I have a contemporary brochure if you want me to check anything). Sport also had optional radar cruise control but this car doesn't have it. Wood wheel and gear selector optional on all models.

Its strange they'd push the price up by a grand... Unless they're padding it to offer a discount?? Did it have the 12mo full warranty etc. previously?

Personally, id have no issue with a lack of Satnav on a 10year old, as POIs etc would be so out of date (unless theyve been updated). I have built in Sat Nav but find myself using google maps on my phone more and more as I get the traffic/congestion updates.

Its strange they'd push the price up by a grand... Unless they're padding it to offer a discount?? Did it have the 12mo full warranty etc. previously?

Personally, id have no issue with a lack of Satnav on a 10year old, as POIs etc would be so out of date (unless theyve been updated). I have built in Sat Nav but find myself using google maps on my phone more and more as I get the traffic/congestion updates.

Just checked and while I don't have the price listed, I do have the finance cost at that time, which is equivalent to the car being ~€11k. Definite padding. Pretty sure it had the warranty too - I wouldn't have been considering it otherwise. The nav works off DVD AFAIK (my old one did anyway, unless they changed to hard drive or something for the newer model?) so can be updated. I'd be asking for a new one to be thrown in with the sale if so...

Just checked and while I don't have the price listed, I do have the finance cost at that time, which is equivalent to the car being ~€11k. Definite padding. Pretty sure it had the warranty too - I wouldn't have been considering it otherwise. The nav works off DVD AFAIK (my old one did anyway, unless they changed to hard drive or something for the newer model?) so can be updated. I'd be asking for a new one to be thrown in with the sale if so...

Well, if that's the case (i.e. price has been increased even though there's clearly no demand) I'd be raising that with the salesman as part of my 10k (not 10.8k) offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Well, if that's the case (i.e. price has been increased even though there's clearly no demand) I'd be raising that with the salesman as part of my 10k (not 10.8k) offer.

I looked at it too as I have Padraig's GS over 3 years now! The seats look very worn for such low mileage and the leather is badly cracked! My own seats with 240K are in way better shape!

TBH it's way overpriced for what it is and they have it over 3 months! The salesman wouldn't entertain me even though he seen my 05 outside! Nice car but not worth the money I'd buy a LS 460 or 600H instead.

From 2010 on the sat nav is hdd.
    Truckermal wrote: »
    I looked at it too as I have Padraig's GS over 3 years now! The seats look very worn for such low mileage and the leather is badly cracked! My own seats with 240K are in way better shape!

TBH it's way overpriced for what it is and they have it over 3 months! The salesman wouldn't entertain me even though he seen my 05 outside! Nice car but not worth the money I'd buy a LS 460 or 600H instead.
    Couldn’t tell that the leather was bad from the pics so good to hear from someone who seen it in the flesh. When you say they wouldn’t entertain you was it on price?

They quoted me 11 over the phone for a straight sale so was assuming I’d get more off.

He also said he’d have to come back to me as someone was test driving it on Saturday so he’s not sure if it’s available still. Could be spoofing, who knows.

He also said he’d have to come back to me as someone was test driving it on Saturday so he’s not sure if it’s available still. Could be spoofing, who knows.

Lol, he's reading you the salesman's guidebook there.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Lol, he's reading you the salesman's guidebook there.
    Probably but I was expecting a call back. Maybe he’s waiting till tomorrow.

Interested to see what Truckermal has to say about them not entertaining him cause I don’t fancy making the trip to cork if they are difficult to deal with.

I wouldn't hold my breath on a call back, it's not in most car dealer's nature. End of the month might be a better time to hit them with an offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

I have run a 08 gs450h for last year. It was UK import with FSH and 12 month on hybrid system .... mine has been trouble free except tyres !

As others mentioned, that car is missing SATNAV and seat cooling.

Its also worth checking :

- the brand of tyres - as anything other than premium rubber will have you all over the road when you put the boot down.
    - front and rear hubs as they are integrated with regeneration
    - Check headlight beam steering/leveling works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Probably but I was expecting a call back. Maybe he’s waiting till tomorrow.

Interested to see what Truckermal has to say about them not entertaining him cause I don’t fancy making the trip to cork if they are difficult to deal with.

He copped my car was just taxed for the year so after spending 1500 quid on tax he probably decided I was wasting his time! That car is there a good while now BTW. I really think you can do better elsewhere like buying in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The nav works off DVD AFAIK (my old one did anyway, unless they changed to hard drive or something for the newer model?) so can be updated. I'd be asking for a new one to be thrown in with the sale if so...

I've a 08 and when I got it, 3 years ago, I got the new DVD for the GPS and it was missing some of the new roads that had been open a year or more. But the biggest issue is the lack of traffic info in this country so the sat nav is dumb, I just use my phone for any trips as it has live traffic from Google. The only thing the DVD did that was useful was enable setting destination on the move, which isn't very safe.

He copped my car was just taxed for the year so after spending 1500 quid on tax he probably decided I was wasting his time! That car is there a good while now BTW. I really think you can do better elsewhere like buying in the UK.
    They seem to be very expensive over there compare to other cars. Saw a nice se-l with 80000 on the clock but they are looking for 9750 so by the time it's landed it would be a fair bit more expensive.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lexus/GS450H-3.5-V6-450H-SE-AUTO/201807298916043

This one seems a bit pricey? Also you wouldnt get the years warranty.

Would anybody source one of these? I assume Lexus wouldn't as it's too old?

If anyone has any other suggestions fire away.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Lexus/GS450H-3.5-V6-450H-SE-AUTO/201807298916043

This one seems a bit pricey? Also you wouldnt get the years warranty.

Would anybody source one of these? I assume Lexus wouldn't as it's too old?

If anyone has any other suggestions fire away.

I'd suggest you google the contact name in the ad, and the previous name of the dealership - Barclay Motors.

Unless there is something specific wrong with this car in Cork, I wouldn't be put off about viewing it if it's still available. For me, if I wanted the make & model, and the colour /level of trim on offer, it's down to the price. The fact that this one gas a 12 mo manufacturer warranty counts huge IMHO.

• Advertisement

I'd suggest you google the contact name in the ad, and the previous name of the dealership - Barclay Motors.

Jesus they sound about as bad as it gets.

Advertisement