Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skangers delivering food!!

• 28-08-2003 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

I just had the pleasure to order a chinese from the Golden Mountain on Shantalla Road in Beaumont..

It arrived and I went to hand the delivery guy the money.

He told me he had no change.

No change I asked him?

No none at all....

I found this hard to believe, and after having so many delivery guys try to rip me off I was very sceptical. I told him he could call
    back later on when he had change, and I would pay him then. He was at MY house, I wasn't going to run away.

He told me he could not do this, and I could hand him over the €50 note and he would drop me back my change. (Bill was €7.90)
    I told him no thanks, he could take the food back..

He took it and walked off down the driveway, when he got to the end he shouted up at me calling me a ****ing wanker. I was livid. I walked out to confront the little runt. He locked himself in the car.

I noticed a women in the car in the driver seat. I walked around to her. I asked if she was his mother, she said yes....

I asked her if she was happy for her son to stand at the end of a strangers driveway and call them a ****ing wanker. She said I was a ****ing wanker.

Well I was incensed, I said she was some sort of low-life to accept that sort of behavior and stormed off.

What a shower. I will never order from the Golden Mountain again...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

That story would be infinitely funnier if the take-away was called the Golden Shower. In fact, that's what I thought it was when I read the last line too quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

That's a horrible story.. but if he genuinely had no change he would have accepted your offer and he was probably just pi$$ed because you outsmarted him.. I'd complain to the restauraunt tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

Did you report him to the Golden Mountain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I did complain...

they asked me if I wanted to come up with the food again
    for free...

I didn't fancy the taste of his man chowder so I declined...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I walked out to confront the little runt. He locked himself in the car.
    [/B]

That's typical - all month and no bo**ox - unless out-numbering victim(s) by at-least 5 to 1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Well I won't be ordering from there again!

Aah skangers where would we be without them......

<the dirty little f*ckers!>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

Thats absolutely shocking.
    I keep my hurl by the front door usually.
    I would have been tempted to use it.
    The Golden Arse doesn't deserve your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

There's got to be somebody- a Consumers Ombudsman or something- that you can report this episode to. I wouldn't let it rest, that is outrageous carry-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MoosemaN

Heheh that was a good one :)..

Skanger mother and her skanger son out trying to trick people, but they had to leg it..

there were 4 in the car.... his mother, and 2 brothers...

the whole clan of skangers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I've never had guys come up with no change when delivering food.
    But i stopped ordering chinese after the last time i got some and they left out the chips.
    Its happened a few times with different chineses but this i really gave out **** to on the phone. they brought the chips up 2 hours later and when i opened it i could see clearly spit on the chip.
    I complained to the chinese and the guy who answered the phone ssaid it must have been somthing else. The delivery guy would never do that. yeah right.
    i'm of delivered food for life now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

Ah well, at least the skanger family got a free meal out of it. That's your St. Vincent de Paul work sorted for another year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

This guy I know is one of the meanest people I know which makes the story even funnier. He ordered food from a few places and they came with it and say it was about €15 they'd take it and then run away from the house and fly off in the car, leaving him at the door standing dumbfounded then complaining to anyone who'd listen for about a month this happened a few times from different places I don't know why the keep doing it to him.Still funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well the responsibility is with the purchaser to have the right change, not the vendor. Did you actually tell them on the phone that the smallest thing you had was a €50?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

I've had that before, was just a skanger on a moped though delivering my chippie, i order out that chippie all the time (the one in Harolds Cross) so never really seen much of a major problem with it, although it was only a €20 note and it came to 8 or something i think, he went to the spar around the corner and brought me back my change ok.

Then again they almost know my address off by heart in that chippie now :p

(then again this guy did have 'some' change, and didnt act like a knob about anything..)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by Victor
    Well the responsibility is with the purchaser to have the right change, not the vendor. Did you actually tell them on the phone that the smallest thing you had was a €50?

Yeh i'll admit to doing this, if i only have a 50 i will let the shop know when im phoning to give the guy change

The guy said he had NO CHANGE at all.....

He was trying to scam a few quid... The bill was 7.90, if I had €10...He still would not have change.

And legally it is the obligation of the retailer to have change, not the other way around. You may offer legal tender. Now legal tender is not just about having genuine money.

For example 1c coins are only legal tender for debts of up to €1.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by James Melody
    And legally it is the obligation of the retailer to have change, not the other way around. You may offer legal tender. Now legal tender is not just about having genuine money.
    Really? and if he came to the door and all you had was a €500 note? Anything to back up your stance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Originally posted by Victor

James is right about the legality, and yes, if the €500 was all you had, the vendor would have to make arrangements. However, the vendor can refuse sale of goods or services on these grounds. But in fairness, James offered him quite a number of reasonable alternatives.

I'd report him to the Restaurant Association of Ireland, the Competitions Authority and the Consumer Ombudsman in writing.,

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

are any of these chinese/chipper places even regulated/investigated etc etc. Some of them you go into wouldn't pass a UN Weapons inspection, never mind a health inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

I don't normally like to talk about my feelings, as frankly, it's a bit effeminate to do so really. However, my feelings towards scangers/knackers/scumbags would be best described as genocidal.

I do have to say though, that tendering a 50 euro note for a meal that you knew would cost less than 10 euro without letting the restaurant know in advance when you were ordering the food is unreasonable.

To the vermin that delivered your food, having the change of a tenner or a twenty was probably the equivalent of "no change at all" when presented with a 50 euro note, at least in his mind. He may have assumed that if he couldn't give you anything close to your full change that there was no point in giving you partial change. He probably thought that if he insisted he had no change that you would have to make an effort to look for a smaller bill that you or someone else in the house probably did have. He also may have felt that you were trying to rip him off by offering such a large note that, knowing he couldn't possibly have change, get the meal for free.

You could have given him the money and allowed him to bring the change back. If he did not, you always knew where the restaurant was.

However, it seems very strange for the mother and other sons to be in the car with him. I don't understand why they would care to go about with him on his part time job. His lowlife mother calling you a wanker is intolerable. What hope could he ever have of turning into a decent member of society if his mother can call a stranger a wanker in front of her son. If she had felt like defending her son, she could have at least tried to state her case more eloquently. I know this is a ridiculous suggestion though, because, like her vermin offspring, it is probably a safe bet that her ability to express herself is limited by her meagre vocabulary.

I do understand though that you had probably been exasperated from many previous times where the delivery guy tries to get a tip, whether you want to give one or not, by claiming to have no change. Anytime I wait for change (generally about 2 to 3 euro) I am given a protracted display of awkward fumbling and pained counting of small denomination coins. In this way they make you "work" for your change, by making you pay for it in awkwardness, and having to stand there while your food goes cold and you get more hungry. It's obvious the ploy is to increase the chances of getting a tip by having you give in and say "ah, keep it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

1. these guys wouldn't have that sort of change on them 'cos they are afraid they may get stabbed for it.

2. The Beaumount Chinese across from the Beaumont House is far far far superior .... :ninja:

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I don't think the issue of this thread is whether or not the Delivery man should have change, it's their attitude. You wouldn't see this situation in a civilised country and unfortunatly, Ireland is far from civilised these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

civilised country
    ???

Delivery jobs pay peanuts, you pay peanuts you get monkies.
    Doesn't excuse the monkies having a bad attitude of course, but ut does help to explain it. However I did offer the best course of action in my post ... competiton.

If the service is crappy, vote with your feet, there are plenty of other decent Chinese's in Dublin 5.

BTW What did you really expect his mum to say, yes my son is an arseh*le ... ? I have had kids vandalise etc in front of my very eyes and when their parents are confronted they will swear blind their little anto was at home watching telly that night, you are fighting a losing battle getting upset (I know its hard not to though).

Advertisement