Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours abroad, alarm day 12

• 02-09-2018 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Neighbours are abroad, no idea when they’re returning. Alarm has been sounding 3/6 times every night between 9.30pm and 7am. It does cut off after 15minutes, but when you can’t get an uninterrupted nights sleep, 15 minutes or 30minutes is splitting hairs.

We tried calling them the first night, got no answer. Day three they sent us a message to say they’re away (no **** Sherlock), then no response until day 5 when they said they would call their alarm company. I’ve trying calling and texting, but no response since. I called the guards on day four who sent a car and said nothing can be done. The alarm company said they can’t do anything as we’re not keyholders. Their brother lives in same estate, just not sure where.

We get on well enough, exchange chocolates and wine at Christmas, lend each other tools etc, so don’t want to destroy the relationship but this is going to destroy our sanity if it continues.

Can the DCC do anything if we make a noise complaint or is it a box ticking exercise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I know it's hard, but for the sake of not ruining the relation with your neighbours, try and speak with them when they come back, let them know how frustrating the situation was and hope that it doesn't happen again.

Not really sure what else you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

As far as I'm aware it's department of environment, I know our management company has to get on to them about an insurance company building opposite us, alarm every bloody night on and off..

<DUMB SUGGESTION SNIPPED>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

italodisco wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware it's department of environment, I know our management company has to get on to them about an insurance company building opposite us, alarm every bloody night on and off..

<DUMB SUGGESTION SNIPPED>

Was it a breach of rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Some people might suggest switching the power off safely at the meter cabinet and then letting the backup battery drain down.
    But before that I'd ask the neighbours to contact the brother/key holder. It's not really on if they are away, but aware of the problem, and not bothered doing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

They’ve replied and stated Phonewatch have told them the last time their alarm was activated was Saturday night, so it’s not their alarm. I replied back and said that this is wrong as it went off once yesterday afternoon, three times late last night and twice in the early hours of this morning, and for the three activations last night, we were standing outside their front door. They replied a second time and said they’ll get it checked when they’re back and it’s none of my business when they’re returning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

They’ve replied and stated Phonewatch have told them the last time their alarm was activated was Saturday night, so it’s not their alarm. I replied back and said that this is wrong as it went off once yesterday afternoon, three times late last night and twice in the early hours of this morning, and for the three activations last night, we were standing outside their front door. They replied a second time and said they’ll get it checked when they’re back and it’s none of my business when they’re returning

Wow something tells me you won't be getting on too well in future after that comment! Bad form, how would they like it if your alarm went off all hours and kept them awake!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

They'll be off my Christmas list for a reply like that.
    Tw@t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Clearly they don't give a f.... tell them it's not fair that their alarm is going off most nights that you don't care when they get back but can they get it sorted one way or another by tonight. Could phone watch switch it off remotely?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Could phone watch switch it off remotely?

Not on the neighbours instruction!

Advertisement