Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Often becomes easy when the easy is often..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Will foam rolling help fix it have you figured from your research?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Lazare wrote: »
    Ran 4 miles easy last night but felt a little niggling pain in the top of my right foot after, at the crease.

Actually forgot about it this morning and set out but it started to hurt almost immediately. Probably should have turned straight back, cut it short to 3 miles though.

Hurting a fair bit today. Google suggests it's possibly Extensor tendonitis, symptoms match. Sickened.

Was looking forward to tomorrow's session but I think it wise to sit it out. I'll ice and compress it tonight, see how it feels after a bit of rest.

Anyone any experience of it? I'll ask in random thread too.

Bleh.

I had that in my foot last year it came on after the 3/4 marathon, I rested it for a few days went to Physio and was good to go the following weekend for a 20km run. it was fine after that so hopefully, you will be fine in a few days

I used a ball to roll out any tightness in my feet and used this stretch when all settled down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8h1eClu5bc

Tight calfs can cause it apparently. Prob shoulda foam rolled a bit.

Tight laces can cause it as well how are the runners they ok

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Baby75 wrote: »
    I had that in my foot last year it came on after the 3/4 marathon, I rested it for a few days went to Physio and was good to go the following weekend for a 20km run. it was fine after that so hopefully, you will be fine in a few days

I used a ball to roll out any tightness in my feet and used this stretch when all settled down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8h1eClu5bc

Oh that is music to my ears N, thank you so much for that.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Will foam rolling help fix it have you figured from your research?

Don't think it will do anything to fix it, just may have prevented it.

Six months of base building woulda prob been more effective though tbh.

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Tight laces can cause it as well how are the runners they ok

Yeah, read that too. Will be mindful of it in future. My Brooks are great though, feel like gloves on my feet.

Have a session booked with the pain & performance clinic near Liffey Valley tomorrow, guy is a running specific physio.

Symptoms now feel very similar to this time last year, physio then diagnosed an issue with gastrocnemius area of the calf. He taped me up, I rested for a week and was good to go. So fingers crossed.

Itching here.

Good Luck tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Have a session booked with the pain & performance clinic near Liffey Valley tomorrow, guy is a running specific physio.

Symptoms now feel very similar to this time last year, physio then diagnosed an issue with gastrocnemius area of the calf. He taped me up, I rested for a week and was good to go. So fingers crossed.

Itching here.

Sounds promising, even if it is a potential week of no running, its much better than being sidelined for a couple of weeks. Let us all know how you get on pal.

Great session with the physio.

No injury thankfully, just a bit of the body warning me really.

Haven't been warming up and cooling down sufficiently, he gave me some really good tips for that. Also gave me some S&C stuff to do at home. The extra bit I did last Sat prob contributed too.

Have a bit of easy rehab stuff to do over the next few days then get back on the plan next Tue or so.

Delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant news C ! Best of luck with S&C/rehab.

Thank you J.
    V relieved.

Back on the horse thankfully. 4m yesterday then week 10's Q2 this morning.

4m easy, 2x 2m threshold 2 min rest, 1m threshold, 2m Easy.

Implemented a new warm up routine that involves a resistance band and squats for the glutes, and various forms of Irish dancing, which I'm sure looked great craic at 5am in my dark living room.

Felt an incredible difference. I normally do a few dynamic stretches then hit the road. Usually takes a couple of miles to fully loosen up. Felt that way from the off.

Frank Duffy this weekend in place of the Q1. Will post up what my hopes and plans are for it beforehand.

Great to be back.

Ambitious target of 76:xx here this morn.

Time for last year, my only prev 10m is 79:55, so yeah, ambitious.

Ambitious target of 76:xx here this morn.

Time for last year, my only prev 10m is 79:55, so yeah, ambitious.

Good Luck

I did it.

76:14

Tough tough race, particularly the mid section, was losing the mental battle for a while between 4 and 6. Strong before that.

From 7 miles I started to realise I was going to hit my target and it somehow became a lot easier, mentally, finished really strong.

Very confident now for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Brilliant running. Well done.

Thanks a mill Swash.

Pro tip, post a target on boards 45 mins before the gun :pac:

Most likely would have came in 77 or 78xx if I didn't post that.

Brilliant C. Really well done.

Set a target and nailed it well done C :D great running :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, still buzzing after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks guys, still buzzing after it.

Enjoy that feeling - you earned it. Well done again.

Rest Mon, 3m Tue, 4m Wed.

Ran this week's Q1 this morning, a day later than normal after Sunday's effort.

Plan was 5m easy, 9m at MP, 2m easy. Was tough, couldn't manage to hold pace for the 9m, just one of those days I guess.

Felt the right leg seize up a bit at about 8 miles, had to stop briefly to shake it out, not too concerned.

Ran a little over 2 miles tonight with the bambito in the buggy to complete the prescribed 36 miles for the week. Also wanted to see how the right calf felt as it was giving me a bit of jip yesterday morning. No issues, although, hard to guage after a couple of miles.

Mulling over something here. This weekend's Q1 is a 130 - 150 min easy run.

I want to run it tomorrow, I feel good enough to run it tomorrow. Just a little concerned about having just ran 16 miles yesterday.

JD recommends at least two easy days between Q sessions, actual text is 'make an effort to always have 2 or 3 E days between Q days'

Yesterday's session was at 5am, that's pretty much Wed night innit?

Pushed it out to 5pm for that extra few hours of rec.

Week 12, Q1.

Parked at the top of Corkagh and planned to exit and run towards town for 70 mins and turn around but decided after a minute or so just to keep lapping the parkrun course.

Plan was 130 - 150 mins of easy running. Ran 140 mins at 6:17 average.

The oul central governor is a strange thing. In a race scenario it lets loose when it senses safety, gives you a burst of energy on the home stretch, it's a beautiful thing.

Weird thing today though, and I think it's happened me before on a long run. I ran the 4th lap of the course fairly comfortably, there were a few tough segments during the run but nothing I couldn't overcome. I felt quite strong with about 10 mins to go but as soon I turned to head for the carpark and looked down at 3 mins left, BOOM, pain. All of a sudden it became a torture, as soon as I looked at the watch.

The exact opposite of a race scenario. It's like the CG is saying 'right, that's it, you're on your own'

Good to get it done.

Switching to old money from here on in, need to speak the language. Plan on using the same type of paceband as last year, had to convert it then and handwrite them. I had km paces but was using mile markers and it led to a minor bit of confusion at times. Best to get used to it now.

Paces so are..

Easy: 9:17 - 10:30
    MP: 8:36
    Threshold: 8:03
    Interval: 7:24
    Rep: 6:50

Really need to nail tomorrow morning's Q2.

15 miler with 10 MP miles in the middle. Really struggled last week to maintain marathon pace. Need to be nailing these. Right calf was niggly last week and seems fine now so maybe it was that.

Looking forward to attacking it anyway.

15 miler with 10 MP miles in the middle. Really struggled last week to maintain marathon pace. Need to be nailing these. Right calf was niggly last week and seems fine now so maybe it was that.

Good luck Lazare and enjoy it I am sure you will nail it

Best of luck with it. You are possibly finding it harder too being so early in the morning so I’d guess the effort is there anyway which is the most important thing.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Maybe so K, although I generally find things easier in the mornings, so used to it now. Evening running sometimes feels a chore.

Advertisement