Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lift Share

• 31-08-2018 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Bit of a long shot, my young lad is starting a course in Thurles from 1st October to 1st of March

Would anyone be travelling up here from Monday to Friday, or might know someone that is that he could lift share with, obviously will pay toward fuel etc.

His hours are 8.30am to 3.45pm Monday to Thursday and until 12.45pm on a Friday

Please PM if you can help.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

People really amaze me!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

People really amaze me!

Why?

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Why?

I wouldn't put my dog in to a car of a stranger if you get my drift!

I wouldn't put my dog in to a car of a stranger if you get my drift!

Either would I, I was hoping that another student would be travelling up to do the course, not Larry Murphy.

Take your point, should have clarified that

Are you going to interview to ascertain if any volunteer will indeed be a student or just take their word for it?

I had a woman approach me one day and asked me would I train her daughter in one of my hobbies! She didn't know me or any thing about me but yet, she was prepared to entrust her daughter to my care! I f**king ask you!!!!

• Advertisement

Are you going to interview to ascertain if any volunteer will indeed be a student or just take their word for it?

I had a woman approach me one day and asked me would I train her daughter in one of my hobbies! She didn't know me or any thing about me but yet, she was prepared to entrust her daughter to my care! I f**king ask you!!!!

Think you’re over thinking this bud

The young lad is 20, so any concerns will be dealt by him, and if needs be he’ll check with the place his course is. By the way it’s not a college course he’s doing

Thanks for your concern though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Bit of a long shot, my young lad is starting a course in Thurles from 1st October to 1st of March

Would anyone be travelling up here from Monday to Friday, or might know someone that is that he could lift share with, obviously will pay toward fuel etc.

His hours are 8.30am to 3.45pm Monday to Thursday and until 12.45pm on a Friday

Please PM if you can help.

Thanks

Is it the FAS centre he is going to?? If so there are usually lads up in the class who he could jump in with. Its what we done when we were up there for the few months.

alta stare wrote: »
    Is it the FAS centre he is going to?? If so there are usually lads up in the class who he could jump in with. Its what we done when we were up there for the few months.

Yes, that’s the one, trying to find out if there’s anyone from around here, but proving difficult. They can give out personal details from the centre tho. Other than that he’ll have to stay up there. He’s learning to drive but the insurance is €4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

he might meet some lads up there that are driving some of the route he ll be taking, he might be able to meet these lads along the way, him doing part of the journey via public transport, an option, if he cant find somebody from waterford going that direction

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    he might meet some lads up there that are driving some of the route he ll be taking, he might be able to meet these lads along the way, him doing part of the journey via public transport, an option, if he cant find somebody from waterford going that direction

Yip, could do that, if have no problem driving him some of the way, but I have to be in work for 8 and don’t finish till 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

So you had nothing constructive whatsoever to add to this thread only to put on some amateur dramatics about how "trusting" the OP is? You sad act, get a life.

As for OP, my mate used to do that course up in FAS and after about 3 or 4 days he found out the routes of lads going up and managed to hop up and down for 4 days and got the bus the other day, would be well worth asking him to keep his ears peeled for where people are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

She dodged some bullet there!!!

So you had nothing constructive whatsoever to add to this thread only to put on some amateur dramatics about how "trusting" the OP is? You sad act, get a life.

As for OP, my mate used to do that course up in FAS and after about 3 or 4 days he found out the routes of lads going up and managed to hop up and down for 4 days and got the bus the other day, would be well worth asking him to keep his ears peeled for where people are coming from.

Thanks for that

Was looking at buses, trains etc but it seems to be one of the hardest places to get to from here

He’s hoping to make contact with some of the other lads so hopefully will get sorted

He doesn’t fancy staying up there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If she had know more about you I'd say she wouldn't have dreamed of asking.

Yes, that’s the one, trying to find out if there’s anyone from around here, but proving difficult. They can give out personal details from the centre tho. Other than that he’ll have to stay up there. He’s learning to drive but the insurance is €4K.

He would be best to see if anyone in his class is travelling. Its how most of the lads started car share when i was there. I was car sharing with one at first but as lads got to know each other we ended up with two other lads which costs us 30 each to travel up and down.

Is it the electronic security systems or electrical trade which he is at?

He would be best to see if anyone in his class is travelling. Its how most of the lads started car share when i was there. I was car sharing with one at first but as lads got to know each other we ended up with two other lads which costs us 30 each to travel up and down.

Is it the electronic security systems or electrical trade which he is at?

The security systems one, Alta

Problem is with the privacy laws they won’t tell us much beforehand. We’ve rang a few of the local companies but none seem to have any lads on this one

Plus he’s not on the road yet so don’t want him stranded up there

The security systems one, Alta

Did that myself its good. Very interesting.

Did that myself its good. Very interesting.

Yeah he seems to like it

Yeah he seems to like it

Yep its a good trade to be in now. Hopefully the money improves tho as they took the pay rate away from the electrical rate where it was meant to be. Its now on the construction rate. €243 a week compared to the sparks €254 (phase 2) It seems like nothing but as he goes through the phases the difference in pay becomes apparent.

Yep its a good trade to be in now. Hopefully the money improves tho as they took the pay rate away from the electrical rate where it was meant to be. Its now on the construction rate. €243 a week compared to the sparks €254 (phase 2) It seems like nothing but as he goes through the phases the difference in pay becomes apparent.

Does it increase when he starts up there to €380?

• Advertisement

Does it increase when he starts up there to €380?

Depends on when he was registered with fas. They will tell him all of that on his first day. Somebody will talk to him and let him know what he will be getting. There is also the union connect (teeu) which id advise he join. It is free for the duration of the apprenticeship.

The staff up in the training centre are nice. The ESS instructor is a nice guy and will help lads no end. He will print out loads of stuff for them which we found a great help when studying for exams.

Depends on when he was registered with fas. They will tell him all of that on his first day. Somebody will talk to him and let him know what he will be getting. There is also the union connect (teeu) which id advise he join. It is free for the duration of the apprenticeship.

The staff up in the training centre are nice. The ESS instructor is a nice guy and will help lads no end. He will print out loads of stuff for them which we found a great help when studying for exams.

Great I’ll pass this onto him, thanks for all the advice- he was registered August 2017 by the way

Great I’ll pass this onto him, thanks for all the advice- he was registered August 2017 by the way

No worries any other questions just give me shout. Did he happen to refuse an initial call or is this his first call to phase 2??

No worries any other questions just give me shout. Did he happen to refuse an initial call or is this his first call to phase 2??

This is his 1st call

This is his 1st call

This is his 1st call

He should get the higher rate then as far as i know. That would be 368 a week. He will know within a couple of days as the guy dealing with all of that will speak to him. Oh and another bit of advice.....if he can get an address up there to say he is staying even tho he isnt it works out better as the rate for staying in digs is €68 a week where as the travel is €32 a week. Almost everyone does it and the staff turn a blind eye to it. I know for a fact it goes on all over the country with apprentices claiming digs when they are travelling. Out of 14 in our class 6 done exactly that. I knew a few of the sparks in the other 3 classes and a good few of them were doing the same.

He should get the higher rate then as far as i know. That would be 368 a week. He will know within a couple of days as the guy dealing with all of that will speak to him. Oh and another bit of advice.....if he can get an address up there to say he is staying even tho he isnt it works out better as the rate for staying in digs is €68 a week where as the travel is €32 a week. Almost everyone does it and the staff turn a blind eye to it. I know for a fact it goes on all over the country with apprentices claiming digs when they are travelling. Out of 14 in our class 6 done exactly that. I knew a few of the sparks in the other 3 classes and a good few of them were doing the same.

Haha nice one - I’ll let him know that, might be better to delete this post tho - you never know who’s be reading them lol

Haha nice one - I’ll let him know that, might be better to delete this post tho - you never know who’s be reading them lol

Maybe... i doubt it will change tho. Its quite a regular occurrence throughout the country. He might aswell maximise what he can seen as most others are at it.

Maybe... i doubt it will change tho. Its quite a regular occurrence throughout the country. He might aswell maximise what he can seen as most others are at it.

That’s true, did you keep going with the apprenticeship?

• Advertisement

That’s true, did you keep going with the apprenticeship?

I did. Im 3rd phase now. 4th early next year in WIT so at least its local.

Advertisement