Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Cheetahs, Sat 1st Sep 5.15pm, Eir Sports

• 31-08-2018 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Darren Sweetnam, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Shane Daly; JJ Hanrahan, Neil Cronin;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Mike Sherry, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Dave O’Callaghan, Tommy O’Donnell, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Brian Scott, Stephen Archer, Darren O’Shea, Gavin Coombes, James Hart, Joey Carbery, Sammy Arnold.

Cheetahs:
    15 Malcolm Jaer
    14 Rabz Maxwane
    13 Benhard Janse van Rensburg
    12 Nico Lee
    11 William Small-Smith
    10 Tian Schoeman
    9 Shaun Venter
    1 Ox Nche
    2 Jacques du Toit
    3 Luan de Bruin
    4 Justin Basson
    5 JP du Preez
    6 Junior Pokomela
    7 Oupa Mohoje
    8 Jasper Wiese

16 Joseph Dweba
    17 Charles Marais
    18 Aranos Coetzee
    19 Walt Steenkamp
    20 Aidon Davis
    21 Tian Meyer
    22 Ernst Stapelberg
    23 Ryno Eksteen

It's a pleasant surprise to see Joey Carbery make his debut so soon, I didn't expect him to be available for a few rounds. Hopefully this means Tadhg Beirne could be available to play next weekend in Glasgow. Shane Daly gets a start on the wing and Neil Cronin gets the nod at 9 ahead of James Hart (Duncan Williams' availability or otherwise hasn't been confirmed). We get our first look at the Cheetahs after a revolving door off-season. Most of the starting XV didn't feature in last year's visit to Thomond Park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Buer

A tiring Cheetahs side in Limerick is about as ideal a scenario as you could want for Carbery coming onto the field.

He's going to roast someone in defence tomorrow.

I was going to watch the Ulster game tomorrow as there is greater scope for a game of rugby and I think Munster will annihilate the Cheetahs.

I might switch over for the second half however with the prospect of crying into my tea when Carbery comes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'm delighted to see TOD and Arnold named.

Goggin has never overly impressed me. Maybe he'll bolt!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

His name on the bench alone will surely boost attendances. And yes I'll be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Venjur wrote: »
    I was going to watch the Ulster game tomorrow as there is greater scope for a game of rugby and I think Munster will annihilate the Cheetahs.

I might switch over for the second half however with the prospect of crying into my tea when Carbery comes on!

Oh come on! Carbery won't be that bad.....:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

kuang1 wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see TOD and Arnold named.

Goggin has never overly impressed me. Maybe he'll bolt!

Ya, Goggin is solid if unspectacular. He's way down the pecking order tho, 5th choice centre at best?

Delighted for TOD recovering from that injury pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The Cheetahs weren't that bad last season. Made the playoffs after all.

p.s. Is this game on tv? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The Cheetahs weren't that bad last season. Made the playoffs after all.

p.s. Is this game on tv? :D

They've been completely gutted of most of their starters from last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cheetahs lost half their squad in the summer and have replaced them with new players. Yet to be seen how good they'll be this season.

Feel really bad for their fans actually. Thrown out of Super Rugby and replaced by a few sides that weren't any better than theirs. In their new league they actually perform well only to see their best players poached by NH sides who actually took notice now they were playing in a league closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    Cheetahs lost half their squad in the summer and have replaced them with new players. Yet to be seen how good they'll be this season.

Feel really bad for their fans actually. Thrown out of Super Rugby and replaced by a few sides that weren't any better than theirs. In their new league they actually perform well only to see their best players poached by NH sides who actually took notice now they were playing in a league closer to home.

They weren't replaced. The Kings, Cheetahs and Western Force were simply cut from the tournament.

It's going to be an uphill struggle for them this season, if only because Connacht and Ospreys can't be as poor as they were at stages last season. Unfortunately South Africa based players will make multiples of their salary in the NH so poaching is inevitable. They do have an excellent breeding ground in Grey College who have produced professional players and Springboks for decades. They'll need a conveyor belt of talent to keep them competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

They weren't replaced. The Kings, Cheetahs and Western Force were simply cut from the tournament.

The Cheetahs and the Force sort of were replaced, albeit over the course of two years. There was a 15 team tournament they were in, then a 15 team tournament they weren't in, and Jaguares and the Sunwolves were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I read that as comes out. In fairness, I did wonder if he was a closet Munster fan.

Beautiful weather here.

I really thought Stringer was about to say Cheetahs would shít the bed there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Who's this young new Munster 10? He looks decent.

Ball dipped in butter before kick off.

There's a 3rd commentator in the stands...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭budhabob

Exceptional by sweetnam there. His turn of pace and step is phenomenal. Great support by scannell

There's a 3rd commentator in the stands...!

Handy calling and supporting each player ... "Gwan JJ"

Jesus there must be a stag group right under the sound system!

• Advertisement

Botha is a beast of a man, has been solid so far, haven't seen any carries from him yet but missed the start of the game.

Munster with a decent pace on the ball, cheetahs are gonna be tired after 50 minutes, Munster should hopefully make hay then

Really like the look of Cronin, good snappy pass, decent defender.

Edit: he also looks like a mini DOCII

budhabob wrote: »
    Botha is a beast of a man, has been solid so far, haven't seen any carries from him yet but missed the start of the game.

Well he can certainly move, some decent carries in the last 15 or so minutes.

Carbery and Arnold on to seal the BP I hope.

Poor miss from Schoeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Dan Goggin off for a HIA, Eir sport commentary none the wiser.

Cracker of a tackle from Daly earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Haley not having a great debut

• Advertisement

Haley not having a great debut

Mixed bag alright after a promising start.

Advertisement