Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs that serve Cask ale.

• 23-08-2018 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Where in Ireland can you get ale pulled from a cask?

I live in athlone btw so I'm fairly central.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Not sure about Athlone but there's a few places in Dublin including, Against the Grain, The Brewdock, The Black Sheep, Porterhouse Central and Porterhouse Temple Bar. Basically, any Galway Bay or Porterhouse bar is a good bet for a handpump. Wetherspoons as well, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Spoons has the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

irish_goat wrote: »
    Not sure about Athlone but there's a few places in Dublin including, Against the Grain, The Brewdock, The Black Sheep, Porterhouse Central and Porterhouse Temple Bar. Basically, any Galway Bay or Porterhouse bar is a good bet for a handpump. Wetherspoons as well, of course.

Asked in the Oslo last week, no cask ales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Underdog has cask pints for a fiver, new cask every friday

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Sweetmans also have cask, 2 pumps I think.

Palace Bar has 1.

Phil Grimes Waterford city. Lamberts wexford town.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

blueshed wrote: »
    Palace Bar has 1.
    Last I heard this was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Where in Ireland can you get ale pulled from a cask?

I live in athlone btw so I'm fairly central.

There is a new bar opening in Athlone soon that may well have a hand pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

There is a new bar opening in Athlone soon that may well have a hand pump.

Deadcenter brewing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

What's the difference? Is the one where they pump the handle forward and back, and does that mean the drink isn't fizzy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

oblivious wrote: »
    Deadcenter brewing?

He's hardcore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,731 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Patww79 wrote: »
    , and does that mean the drink isn't fizzy?

Pretty much.
    There should be a gentle carbonation from cask conditioning (additional fermentation in the cask) but it's not going to be fizzy like most keg beers.

Also cask ale should be served at cellar temperature, so cool rather that chilled.

The same beer can taste and feel quite different on cask and keg.

Ignorant people will tell you that cask beer is warm and flat. They don't know what they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Pretty much.
    There should be a gentle carbonation from cask conditioning (additional fermentation in the cask) but it's not going to be fizzy like most keg beers.

Also cask ale should be served at cellar temperature, so cool rather that chilled.

The same beer can taste and feel quite different on cask and keg.

Ignorant people will tell you that cask beer is warm and flat. They don't know what they are talking about.

Cheers. I don't think I've ever had it then. Wouldn't mind trying though as the best ciders I've ever had have been very lightly carbonated and pumped like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Sorry to necro this thread. I've been looking for cask beers for a while now without any real. Success, I've tried a load of places listed above and come up blank apart from spoons.

Anyone able to share the names of any pubs in Ireland serving "real ale"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Right now, The Porterhouse in Temple Bar and Bierhaus in Cork are serving Sitric pale ale by Hopkins & Hopkins on cask, and it's very nice. The Black Sheep in Dublin had West Kerry's Uncle Columb mild on cask last weekend but that seems to be gone from their tap list now. Beyond that, it's Wetherspoons.

The Black Sheep occasionally has Galway Bay Brewery beers on cask but I'm told these aren't real ale, just bright beer run through a handpump.

Advertisement