Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petrol to diesel

Options
  • 28-08-2018 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and gals- have an old landie petrol 1984 and want to change it to a diesel. I note from the change of details form from the revenue that this engine change must be main dealer approved with a stamp. Now I can see dismay bringing this old girl up to a main dealer to certify the engine change is all in order- what are my other options ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If its a conversion that is properly done with all due considerations to safety
    and the vehicle is in a safe roadworthy condition, then you have no need to fear
    the main dealer.

If on the other hand the conversion is properly done, but the vehicle is not in a roadworthy
    condition and has no NCT, then realistically it shouldn't be on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

thanks Kadman. I’m getting a series landie rebuilt from the ground up except with a diesel conversion. Not cheap as they say. I just can’t see how a dealer can stamp the workmanship on an engine change when they might as well be looking into a field of thistles- I’ll take your word and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I had always presumed that the dealer stamp was to identify the engine for what it actually was rather than the workmanship of fitting it.
    More to do with the cubic capacity and paying the correct level of road tax, so once the engine number is visible the dealer can check it on its database.

thx a mill for info .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Might be an obvious one, but make sure you fit the springs for the diesel model and not petrol. They will be different and designed for the extra weight of the (presumably cast iron) diesel engine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Might be an obvious one, but make sure you fit the springs for the diesel model and not petrol. They will be different and designed for the extra weight of the (presumably cast iron) diesel engine.

Same might apply apply to brakes as well that would need upgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Ah go on, go on go on ,stick with petrol !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As a 1984, it should be a coil spring 90?
    Are you planning on using a "period correct" 2.5 diesel or later turbo diesel, or simply fitting the much better 200tdi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

The best way to do the conversion is to take your own back to a shell & move everything over from doner 4x4 . If you have the time & space it is do'able.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    As a 1984, it should be a coil spring 90?
    Are you planning on using a "period correct" 2.5 diesel or later turbo diesel, or simply fitting the much better 200tdi?

200tdi....brakes, springs, the ,the lot upgraded......ground up job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals- have an old landie petrol 1984 and want to change it to a diesel. I note from the change of details form from the revenue that this engine change must be main dealer approved with a stamp. Now I can see dismay bringing this old girl up to a main dealer to certify the engine change is all in order- what are my other options ?

What can a main dealer do that another garage with equally trained staff not do? I.e are main dealers recognized in law with a different standing to a stand alone non franchise dealer?

Casati wrote: »
    What can a main dealer do that another garage with equally trained staff not do? I.e are main dealers recognized in law with a different standing to a stand alone non franchise dealer?

yeap, my original thought process

Advertisement