Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weekenders - six rounds or five rounds?

• 28-08-2018 5:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yerrah, why not?

So - would you rather 5 rounds or 6 rounds in a weekender?

Let's assume time control is satisfactory in both, and more sections are created if required to allow for the fact that a 5-round tournament could run into problems separating more than 32 players.

It's 6 for me. The more the merrier (I'm not as old as sodacat yet! :)), I don't care about my FIDE rating, and a 5-rounder gives the possibility of getting the dreaded bye and only playing 4 rounds.

It's a public vote because, well, why not.

How many rounds would you prefer in a weekender? 19 votes

Five
    0%
    Six
    57%
    eclipsechaserL1m1tlessanchor4208Past_Pawn_99Tim Hardingpawntof4Retd.LoyolaCptEugene Donohoesodacat11henchaKBchess333 11 votes
    Either will do
    21%
    cdebVampslayerflipsaketedjennings 4 votes
    Something else
    21%
    Ciaranmikhail2btsChessPlayer123 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Six
    cdeb wrote: »
    Yerrah, why not?

So - would you rather 5 rounds or 6 rounds in a weekender?

Let's assume time control is satisfactory in both, and more sections are created if required to allow for the fact that a 5-round tournament could run into problems separating more than 32 players.

It's 6 for me. The more the merrier (I'm not as old as sodacat yet! :)), I don't care about my FIDE rating, and a 5-rounder gives the possibility of getting the dreaded bye and only playing 4 rounds.

It's a public vote because, well, why not.

Personally, I prefer to play in and organise 5 rounders. I would be reluctant to change if I was Kilkenny or Bunratty - they already have their niche and I wouldn’t want to risk that. Although, the argument could definitely be made that people will attend those no matter what. Those events also have to consider the likelihood of two or more people finishing on maximum points in their bottom sections, given their size.

From an arbiters perspective, you always want 30 seconds increment so that all moves are recorded (or should be anyway) and there should be less disputes and flags.

The model I prefer is Gonzaga’s although I think there’s a lot to be said for having variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Six
    I agree about Gonzaga being the ideal and not just because of the time controls. Nice sets and boards,a canteen, adequate bathroom facilities, free and convenient car parking, no huge traffic problems,always a very strong entry. The library is an excellent room for chess and getting to play on the stage in the theatre is like playing in an elite GM tournament. Last but not least I am always supplied with free tea and coffee as an appearance fee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Six
    sodacat11 wrote: »
    I agree about Gonzaga being the ideal and not just because of the time controls. Nice sets and boards,a canteen, adequate bathroom facilities, free and convenient car parking, no huge traffic problems,always a very strong entry. The library is an excellent room for chess and getting to play on the stage in the theatre is like playing in an elite GM tournament. Last but not least I am always supplied with free tea and coffee as an appearance fee!!

I'll tell the lads to throw in free sandwiches after that review! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ChessPlayer123

Something else
    I feel like 5 rounds are more suitable for more serious FIDE rated tournaments, but 6 rounds is better in more relaxed non FIDE games.

Six
    I'll tell the lads to throw in free sandwiches after that review! :P

I forgot to mention the excellent organisers and controllers who always do a marvelous job and make everyone feel very welcome. (I like ham ,cheese and English mustard!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

This is just for ICU rated events only? FIDE events can't be 6 rounds in the normal weekender format so probably should be taken out of the equation!

I'd rather 6 rounds as in general, it's round 3 when you play someone playing around your level so I'd prefer more rounds mainly to get more games around my level. It feels like a better representation of your current level to have 3 games of each colour instead of having 3 games as white and 2 as black.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Something else
    I like the mix; tournaments with different numbers of rounds, pairing systems, time controls, rating bands, etc. make for a bit of variety. I would have strongly preferred six as a teenager, so I guess I can see where the older guys are coming from all right.

Six
    mikhail wrote: »
    I like the mix; tournaments with different numbers of rounds, pairing systems, time controls, rating bands, etc. make for a bit of variety. I would have strongly preferred six as a teenager, so I guess I can see where the older guys are coming from all right.

Us "older guys"still have some stamina left you know. Last season I played City of Dublin, St Andrews, Kilkenny, The over 50s ch, Boeblingen, Armstrong Cup,Bunratty, Malahide, Easter, Gonzaga and the Irish Championships and this season I will be adding Cork and possibly another tournament or two to that list.
    The reason I prefer longer time controls is because the games have more substance and less blunders, nothing to do with me nodding off after two hours.

Six
    Still a week left in which to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tedjennings

Either will do
    How come you guys always forget about the Limerick Open.
    The best of both worlds 2 rounds per day FIDE rated and 6 games
    It is on 27-29 October

• Advertisement

Six
    How come you guys always forget about the Limerick Open.
    The best of both worlds 2 rounds per day FIDE rated and 6 games
    It is on 27-29 October
    Limerick is a well run tournament in a nice venue but the reason I, for one,always forget about it is that you have to play at least a couple of 13/1400s before you get a proper game so really it is only a four round competition at best.

Advertisement