Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurlings 90s greatest

• 21-08-2018 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭

I have a major gripe with the hurling team that was picked. Willie O Connor of Kilkenny was omitted from the 15 players. Willie was one of the best hurler Kilkenny produced and I ever saw hurl. Many people would agree. He had only one bad game imo in the black and Amber which was the 1999 All Ireland final. I never saw him had a bad game before or since.
    The sporting media got stuck in their judgment of the 90s hurling by verture of the fact that there was a spread of winners in that decade. Kilkenny contested 5 finals, three in a row, winning two and two leagues. They won back to back titles in 92 and 93.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Who did he lose out to ?

But picking a team nearly 20 years after the decade ended means memories have faded.
    I suppose Clare, Offaly and Wexford's wins stick in people's minds and maybe are clearer in memories.

To be honest I don't even remember who Kilkenny played in the 1992 final, never mind who played well in that game. But then again it was 26 years ago !

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MattressRick

How did Michael Coleman get on that team? Galway only played one championship match a year bar 90 and 93, he was a timber merchant and I think was only there till the mid 90s.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I wouldn't be taking much into that team, pure politics to make sure all the counties were represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

How did Michael Coleman get on that team? Galway only played one championship match a year bar 90 and 93, he was a timber merchant and I think was only there till the mid 90s.

Clod. He was nothing of the sort. Inspired Galway into the '93 final, where he received the ultimate compliment from KK who took him out from the throw-in. Hurled Clare and Wexford practically on his own in the '95 and '96 semis. His absence through injury in '97 could well have cost Galway an All-Ireland that year.

Fool! Timber merchant FFS! Coleman was as tough and wiry as they came but no hatchet man. You're mixing him up with Eoin Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MattressRick

MfMan wrote: »
    Clod. He was nothing of the sort. Inspired Galway into the '93 final, where he received the ultimate compliment from KK who took him out from the throw-in. Hurled Clare and Wexford practically on his own in the '95 and '96 semis. His absence through injury in '97 could well have cost Galway an All-Ireland that year.

Fool! Timber merchant FFS! Coleman was as tough and wiry as they came but no hatchet man. You're mixing him up with Eoin Kelly.

Galway blew a big halftime lead in 97 against Kilkenny if I'm right. You think they'd have beaten Clare in 97 with Coleman? Doubtful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway blew a big halftime lead in 97 against Kilkenny if I'm right. You think they'd have beaten Clare in 97 with Coleman? Doubtful.

FFS x2. You think they wouldn't have beaten Clare with Coleman? Do you actually know how good he was? Ask anyone that played with or against him and you'd very quickly find out how powerful and important he was. At the time in '90 he was of only a very small few who was selected as an automatic All Star in a year.

Galway blew a big half-time lead v KK in '97. Coleman missed the match having being injured in the closing stages v Offaly in the final league match of the spring in Birr. Wouldn't have happened on his watch that KK would have stolen that game. That injury probably cost Galway an All Ireland that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

The kilkenny goalie had a nightmare first half v galway . Dj Carey gave an exepition that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

How did Micheal cleary from tipp get on that team of the 90s.

Willie o connor from kk was a great hurler now that i think of it.

I think Davy Fitzgerald should maybe have got the goalkeeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mrbango

What was the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

kala85 wrote: »
    How did Micheal cleary from tipp get on that team of the 90s.

Willie o connor from kk was a great hurler now that i think of it.

I think Davy Fitzgerald should maybe have got the goalkeeper

Cleary won 4 All Stars in a row from 90-93.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

1. Damien Fitzhenry (Wexford) 
    2. Brian Corcoran (Cork) 
    3. Brian Lohan (Clare) 
    4. Martin Hanamy (Offaly) 
    5. Brian Whelahan (Offaly) 
    6. Seanie McMahon (Clare) 
    7. Liam Dunne (Wexford) 
    8. Ciaran Carey (Limerick) 
    9. Michael Coleman (Galway) 
    10. Martin Storey (Wexford) 
    11. Gary Kirby (Limerick) 
    12. Jamesie O’Connor (Clare) 
    13. Michael Cleary (Tipperary) 
    14. DJ Carey (Kilkenny) 
    15. Johnny Dooley (Offaly)

and yes, that's Johnny Dooley at corner forward

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Who did he lose out to ?

But picking a team nearly 20 years after the decade ended means memories have faded.
    I suppose Clare, Offaly and Wexford's wins stick in people's minds and maybe are clearer in memories.

To be honest I don't even remember who Kilkenny played in the 1992 final, never mind who played well in that game. But then again it was 26 years ago !
    That was the year of Brian Corcoran, aged 19 but man of the match nearly every time he played, except possibly the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

1. Damien Fitzhenry (Wexford)
    2. Brian Corcoran (Cork)
    3. Brian Lohan (Clare)
    4. Martin Hanamy (Offaly)
    5. Brian Whelahan (Offaly)
    6. Seanie McMahon (Clare)
    7. Liam Dunne (Wexford)
    8. Ciaran Carey (Limerick)
    9. Michael Coleman (Galway)
    10. Martin Storey (Wexford)
    11. Gary Kirby (Limerick)
    12. Jamesie O’Connor (Clare)
    13. Michael Cleary (Tipperary)
    14. DJ Carey (Kilkenny)
    15. Johnny Dooley (Offaly)

and yes, that's Johnny Dooley at corner forward

Johnny Dooley was a great player , Offaly's next best player after Brian Whelahan of that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Johnny Pilkington and Willie O'Connor in my team.

Advertisement