Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

chocfan wrote: »
    I did lots of research at the time like it sounds like you're doing and I decided it was the seat I wanted most as it seemed to tick all the safety features I wanted and the higher weight limit etc. I also think the fact it's i-size is handy. I know it's not a mandatory requirement for cars yet but my thinking when I was buying was it might be down the line and if there's any more kids, I don't want to have to fork out for another seat when I could just get it now!

I have a Peugeot 508 which is a decent size saloon I suppose. Trying to picture is the back seat in it bigger than other cars but I don't really think it is. There's definitely plenty of room for a passenger in front of it. We have a baby seat in the back as well with an isofix base etc and you probably wouldn't fit a seat in between them but I think there's very few cars you'd manage that with (and I don't know your situation but it mightn't even be something you'd need)

I should really go to a shop to try it out!
    I will bring the audi up and try it out! incar said golf is ok but audi may not be.
    She said golf will be grand!

We will probably get a 7 seater yoke in the next year or so, only starting to research. Husband thinks the majority of them look like vans and won’t drive them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Any recommendations for getting isofix installed in north dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

What car do you drive, the main dealer in ur area shud be able to fit isofix to your car

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Hi all, looking for some advice please. My very tall and heavy 9 month old baby girl peed all over her maxi cosi cabriofix today! So while I was going about washing the fabric I noticed a big dent in the shell. Must’ve been dropped or dented while in storage.

I didn’t want to give up the cabriofix so prematurely but there’s no point me buying another for what might be only a couple more months anyway.

So I’m looking to buy her a new seat. We have the maxi cosi axis seats from my older children but I would prefer to keep her rearward for now as she is still very young. I would like a seat that can go both ways. She is 99th centile for height and weight. I don’t know her weight now but she was over 10kg a month or so ago. I have seen the maxi cosi axissfix plus which looks brilliant as it goes forward and rearward and has a swivel! Also looks very easy to put in with only isofix and top tether. But it’s not on the incarsafety website or the Swedish website so worried it’s not a good one?

Anyone any idea about the axissfix plus? Or any other recommendation would be great. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

If you want her rearfacing as long as possible then you should look at the 25kg seats like the Axkid Minikid and Move, the Britax Two Way Elite are the most popular ones off the top of my head. I have my 7 month old in the Minikid and it’s fab.

The Axissfix plus only rearfaces to 87cm which is very young to turn ff especially if she’s the 99th percentile for height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Clashmore

The axiss fix is not an extended rear facing seat it must be turned forward facing at 87cm (approx 2years old). With your child’s height and weight you would be better off with a 25kg seat if u want to keep her rear facing until 4. Seats such as Britax TWE, Britax Maxway, Diono Radian, Axkid Minikid or Axkid Move. All of the above seats are installed using seat belt and tethers as isofix stops at 18kg.

Hope this helps

Hi! Thanks so much for that information! If I’m totally honest (and I hope I don’t get shot here for it!)... I don’t think I will keep her rear facing till 4. I know it’s recommeded and safest but my other children didn’t tolerate rearward at all past a certain age. Every journey was a nightmare so I had to turn them forward.

I would say it’s the 87cm thing which is the reason the axissfix isn’t on those websites I mentioned then! I wonder is it a good seat otherwise other than that!

I don’t like the 2-way elite. I would prefer isofix and simpler to install. But I will check out the mini kid! Thanks again so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it.

lizardlegz did you look at dualfix....there is a new one out. :)

You can order replacement foam for maxi cosi....they might even send out for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If you do want a swivel and isofix, there’s a few others that do the same. Joie spin 360, recaro zero, Britax dualfix, nuna rebl plus and cosy and safe merlin. I’m sure there’s another, but I can’t think of it.

I think the joie has the tallest shell.

Do be aware though that with your girl on the higher end of the centiles, she will hit 18kg well before age 4, regardless of whether she’s facing forwards or rearwards, and you’ll either have to put her in a booster with a seat belt, or buy a 25kg seat for her then with a harness.

My 2.5 yr old is 17 kg, and while I know he can legally go on a booster, there’s no way I could trust him to leave the seat belt on.

If you want a seat that can rear or forward face to 25kg with a harness; I think your only option is the diono radian 5, but I stand to be corrected on that!

Oh yes, Bella baby used stock the foam online.
    And the cybex sirona is the other swivel.

PS, I think the reason you don’t see the maxi cosi on the Swedish website is that their car seat laws are much stricter than ours, and it wouldn’t be legal to turn a 2 year old forward facing there

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »

You can order replacement foam for maxi cosi....they might even send out for free!

Thanks Millem! It’s actually the shell of the cabriofix that is dented. The fabric is ok... once it’s washed. But because I’ve seen the dent in the actual seat shell I don’t believe it’s safe to use anymore.

I will check the dualfix! Thanks so much. I have a lot of research to do tomorrow. It’s all such a minefield! I’ve also seen the maxi cosi pearl might be a runner....

jlm29 wrote: »
    If you do want a swivel and isofix, there’s a few others that do the same. Joie spin 360, recaro zero, Britax dualfix, nuna rebl plus and cosy and safe merlin. I’m sure there’s another, but I can’t think of it.

I think the joie has the tallest shell.

Do be aware though that with your girl on the higher end of the centiles, she will hit 18kg well before age 4, regardless of whether she’s facing forwards or rearwards, and you’ll either have to put her in a booster with a seat belt, or buy a 25kg seat for her then with a harness.

My 2.5 yr old is 17 kg, and while I know he can legally go on a booster, there’s no way I could trust him to leave the seat belt on.

If you want a seat that can rear or forward face to 25kg with a harness; I think your only option is the diono radian 5, but I stand to be corrected on that!

Thanks so much for all this information! Food for thought! Boards really is a great resource! I’m going to check out all those seats you mentioned tomorrow! I have my work cut out for me tomorrow. Will have to get the other half to take the kids out as this could take a while 🀣.

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Hi! Thanks so much for that information! If I’m totally honest (and I hope I don’t get shot here for it!)... I don’t think I will keep her rear facing till 4. I know it’s recommeded and safest but my other children didn’t tolerate rearward at all past a certain age. Every journey was a nightmare so I had to turn them forward.

I would say it’s the 87cm thing which is the reason the axissfix isn’t on those websites I mentioned then! I wonder is it a good seat otherwise other than that!

I don’t like the 2-way elite. I would prefer isofix and simpler to install. But I will check out the mini kid! Thanks again so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it.

If you don’t want to get one of the 25kg seats I would at least look at an 18kg seat rather than the Axissfix plus. If she’s in the 99th percentile for height she’ll hit 87cm around 18 months. At least with an 18kg seat it goes to 105cm so would get her to around 2.5 - 3. I always see the Joie Spin recommended as a good spin seat with a good recline rf (which can be an issue with isofix/spin seats). Much more reasonably priced compared to the Axissfix as well!

bee06 wrote: »
    If you don’t want to get one of the 25kg seats I would at least look at an 18kg seat rather than the Axissfix plus. If she’s in the 99th percentile for height she’ll hit 87cm around 18 months. At least with an 18kg seat it goes to 105cm so would get her to around 2.5 - 3. I always see the Joie Spin recommended as a good spin seat with a good recline rf (which can be an issue with isofix/spin seats). Much more reasonably priced compared to the Axissfix as well!

Great! Thank you :)

Is it the white styrofoam stuff that’s dented, or the black plastic? Because Bella baby stock the replacement styrofoam

Thanks Millem! It’s actually the shell of the cabriofix that is dented. The fabric is ok... once it’s washed. But because I’ve seen the dent in the actual seat shell I don’t believe it’s safe to use anymore.

I will check the dualfix! Thanks so much. I have a lot of research to do tomorrow. It’s all such a minefield! I’ve also seen the maxi cosi pearl might be a runner....

Oh that’s a bummer :(
    Car seats would just wreck your head! I still haven’t bought one!!! Haven’t managed to try them out yet!
    I was thinking the new sirona m i size one but it doesn’t swivel but does go ff and rf. Base can be reused on baby seat aton m. Don’t know how much space it takes? I think the dualfix is ok on space.

What is it though with stupid underfloor storage boxes on cars :(:( so annoying.

I think having the option of going forward is good to have.
    The pearl is lovely but shell too short for my guy.

Is it the white styrofoam stuff that’s dented, or the black plastic? Because Bella baby stock the replacement styrofoam

Thanks. It’s the black plastic. It’s dented near the bottom where it sits on the isofix. Near where the little flap is that opens up at the back near the bottom. :(

Thanks. It’s the black plastic. It’s dented near the bottom where it sits on the isofix. Near where the little flap is that opens up at the back near the bottom. :(

That’s a dose!

Hi all... again!!! :)
    So I’ve looked at all the seats you kind posters recommended yesterday. We have a storage space thing on the floor where our girl will be sitting... so I don’t think I can have an isofix leg bar sitting on the floor!? So unfortunately all the seats ye recommended won’t work for us. Apart from the radian 5. I’ve looked at the radian online and it seems pretty good? Any experiences? But I keep again coming back to the axissfix plus as it also does not have the isofix leg.

Thank again!

So I’ve looked at all the seats you kind posters recommended yesterday. We have a storage space thing on the floor where our girl will be sitting... so I don’t think I can have an isofix leg bar sitting on the floor!? So unfortunately all the seats ye recommended won’t work for us. Apart from the radian 5. I’ve looked at the radian online and it seems pretty good? Any experiences? But I keep again coming back to the axissfix plus as it also does not have the isofix leg.

Thank again!

The Britax TWE doesn’t have a support leg either. Both the TWE and the Radian brace the front seat instead.

Some cars have a reinforced storage space that are ok to use a support leg. There’s a really good Facebook group called Ireland -rearfacing car seats that could give specific advice for the car you have. They’re really knowledgeable.

• Advertisement

Thank again!

lizard those storage boxes just wreck my head :(
    Why do they have them in cars aimed at families:(
    Your middle seat probably doesn’t have one on the ground but that is a pain for you to get her in and out? She could be walking soon though........

For me radian5 was a disaster far too complicated!

bee06 wrote: »
    The Britax TWE doesn’t have a support leg either. Both the TWE and the Radian brace the front seat instead.

Some cars have a reinforced storage space that are ok to use a support leg. There’s a really good Facebook group called Ireland -rearfacing car seats that could give specific advice for the car you have. They’re really knowledgeable.

Thanks again. I really didn’t want the TWE :(. Was hoping for isofix. I will have a look into that ace book group :).

I wonder what the reinforced storage space is. I’ll have a google! Thank you.

lizard those storage boxes just wreck my head :(
    Why do they have them in cars aimed at families:(
    Your middle seat probably doesn’t have one on the ground but that is a pain for you to get her in and out? She could be walking soon though........

For me radian5 was a disaster far too complicated!

Thank you :). Yes they are a head wreck! Our middle seat doesn’t have the storage box but I didn’t want her in the middle as she is the smallest as it’s the least safer spot apparently. Also, as you say... it would be a disaster getting her in and out.

Thank you :). Yes they are a head wreck! Our middle seat doesn’t have the storage box but I didn’t want her in the middle as she is the smallest as it’s the least safer spot apparently. Also, as you say... it would be a disaster getting her in and out.

Gosh I actually heard the middle seat was safest ;) They are shielded from impact with the other two seats/sides. That’s why on new besafe HBB you can take off side impact things when in middle.

I hear you on the getting her in and out though.

I have a minikid and the leg goes to the ground if you take the lid off the storage box. I’m sure some of the others do too. The minikid won’t forward face though, and isn’t isofix, but maybe some of the other seats have a long enough leg too.
    If you go online and get the hse growth chart thingys, you can plot your little girls height and weight and see when she will hit 18kg. That might be a good place to start, if you see when you will be happy with the age she will be when she outgrows the axisfix

Does anyone have a britax kiddix ii xp sict (I hope I got the name right!)?

If you how do you find the thing in between the legs?
    Incarsafety recommended it to me....tried it on my older boy in mothercare but it looked weird.....like seatbelt wasn’t on him properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Is it possible to get a narrow baby car seat?
    We only recently changed our car to a Ford focus (2009),and then discovered we are expecting number three.
    Both kids are in high back boosters, and I can fit the baby car seat (Graco) in the middle of the two boosters.
    But it's not practical, or safe (in my eyes anyway)

I'd really rather not have to change my car again after only a few months

My sister had a 2005 focus a few years ago and was minding kids and was able to get three booster cushions across the back seat, so I'm sure it can be done. But alot of the baby seats online don't have the width listed
    My graco, without base is 39.5 width

Sorry if this has been answered to death before

Do you specifically need a seat that can be taken out of the car? The diono radian 5 is suitable from birth, and it’s very narrow. But it’s also a seat that’s suitable up to 25kg, so it’s quite bulky. The focus is fairly small inside front to back, so you might struggle.
    If you can turn off your front airbag you can put the baby on the front passenger seat, but obviously that might be an issue if you have another adult traveling with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Do you specifically need a seat that can be taken out of the car? The diono radian 5 is suitable from birth, and it’s very narrow. But it’s also a seat that’s suitable up to 25kg, so it’s quite bulky. The focus is fairly small inside front to back, so you might struggle.
    If you can turn off your front airbag you can put the baby on the front passenger seat, but obviously that might be an issue if you have another adult traveling with you!

No I guess I don't need a take in take out one

I'd defo prefer it if possible but I'm sure I'd survive without it

For the likes of the four diff school runs it would be a pain in the arse not having a take in take out one I think

That said, it's not awfully often we go places together, I could probably make what I have, work, by getting one narrower booster maybe?

Was just hoping there was a quick fix of a narrow baby seat...

• Advertisement

No I guess I don't need a take in take out one

I'd defo prefer it if possible but I'm sure I'd survive without it

For the likes of the four diff school runs it would be a pain in the arse not having a take in take out one I think

That said, it's not awfully often we go places together, I could probably make what I have, work, by getting one narrower booster maybe?

Was just hoping there was a quick fix of a narrow baby seat...

Are your HBB narrow?
    The new besafe izi flex fix HBB can apparently fit 3 across the back of a car.

Advertisement