Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford Tourism

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Cortecs wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote: »
    Well there are the Viking walls all over the city, numerous ruins outside of the viking triangle and inside there are 2 substantial museums with another small one so it's more than 2 hours.

In fairness though  I don't think you can compare   walls to Kilkenny castle. The castle is a huge draw to Kilkenny. I'm not sure if there is much else to visit in Kilkenny city itself but the castle alone carries a lot of weight.

I don't know why this opinion is being expressed so often Kilkenny is built on tourism, it has a lot more than the castle going for it. From the top of my head there is 
    • Kilkenny Castle,
    • Butler National Craft Gallery
    • Rothe House
    • 2 Cathedrals (St. Canices & St. Mary, plus the black Abbey)
    • St. Canices Round Tower
    • Medieval Mile Museum 
    • Alice Kitler ghost tours
    • Smithwicks Tours
    • BallyKeefe Distillery Tours
    • High bank Orchards Distillery Tour
    That's just the hard core touristy stuff, it also has two golf course (Kilkenny and the Pococke, the latter also has a foot golf course), Archery, Bubble soccer, paintball etc all at the https://kilkennyactivitycentre.ie/, an airsoft range and a fishing centre with cottage rental at Wallslough.
    Then you have a some very high quality hotels (Lyrath is 5* and there are 5 4*'s), some very high quality restaurants (Campagne has a Michelin star and Ristorante Rinuccini, Annocht, Zuni and Foodworks were all  awarded L'Assiette Michelin this year) and a great weekend nightlife. 

This is all in the city centre before you include dunmore caves, Jenkinstown park, Castlecomer discovery park and the host of other attractions in the county.

Waterford is an untapped resource in this regards, it has a lot of potential but it needs the attention and dedication required to get it there. Kilkenny has survived on tourism for years, it has been decades building this brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The bridge would be whatever they have in mind - the exit/entrance area would just go under the traffic lanes rather than empty out into the car park (as currently configured). Nothing fancy (well unless digging a tunnel is now considered a bit out there!)

Nothing too out there absolutely but moving traffic lanes, paths, services, making islands in the river and tunnels cost a lot of cash. Not a fan of underpasses myself, current traffic lights set up is satisfactory for this IMO, a bit of tweaking certainly, plus there will be a plaza at clock tower so it's not terminating in a car park which would not be great agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

914 wrote: »
    I think you are forgetting one major issue here. Waterford was decimated during the recession. Not helped by the lack of government policy or support.

The council have begun to reinvent the city. The crystal was to leave waterford completely. The council acted on this and moved it onto the mall. The created the viking triangle and are currently completing a €19 million euro redevelopment of the city centre.

They also completed the greenway linking the city to dungarvan. It looks as if the €300 million euro development will go ahead into the city.

Not everything is going to happen over night. But we are getting there. Would like to see more done to the walls myself and in time that will happen as we continue to get our name out there as a tourism destination.

As I highlight the positives there I would also have plenty negitives about councils of past and present. Presentation and general maintenance being a major fault, but it is possible that this is beginning to change.

Things are changing for the better in Waterford and we are beginning probably for a first time to see more positives than negatives.

I appreciate that Rome wasn't built in a day and a lot of work needs to be done
    to improve the city on shall we say a very restrictive budget BUT why spend money on properties on Doyle Street and just leave them sit there?

To encourage growth and prosperity we need to show ourselves off, build
    new fresh developments in the town for families, in turn who will spend their
    money within the city centre and rejuvenate it!

And I mean developments that will be fit for purpose for generations to come!
    I look at old photos of Waterford City on some sites and in my view for all it's
    worth things haven't changed very much in one hundred years! People still living in tenements that should have been demolished!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭914

I appreciate that Rome wasn't built in a day and a lot of work needs to be done
    to improve the city on shall we say a very restrictive budget BUT why spend money on properties on Doyle Street and just leave them sit there?

I look at old photos of Waterford City on some sites and in my view for all it's
    worth things haven't changed very much in one hundred years! People still living in tenements that should have been demolished!

Something similar to the houses that were redeveloped at Chairman's Arch off Cathedral Square 6 x 2 bed houses, 1 x 3 bed house & 4 x 1 bed apartments.

Granted this is small scale but they done a great job there. Its also hard to develop buildings if they are privately owned, that needs to be taking up with the owners.

Don't know what the story is with the houses on doyle street and I agree that is disgraceful. Unfortunately this is happening all around the country, we see it every day on the news. Houses lying idle and waiting lists that don't seem to end.

Looks like we all need to hammer out local representatives about doyal street amd hope the council get the finger out and sort the houses there.

I

Just out of curiosity. What area's would you develope and how would you develop them family based?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Waterford wan just won rose of Tralee that's should give county a bit of promotion !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

debok wrote: »
    Waterford wan just won rose of Tralee that's should give county a bit of promotion !!!!!!

Yeah just heard

Congrats great for the girl herself and her family/friends

debok wrote: »

Great news! I was only talking to her a few weeks ago and forgot to wish her luck!
    A Kilkenny lass all the same!

Just out of curiosity. What area's would you develope and how would you develop them family based?

I've said it before here and was pilloried for same but as they have purchased property in Doyle Street start there and I don't mean apartments/flats but houses
    with a garden, front and back with a parking place for a car or two. That would then entail the culling of some streets!

The population has drifted to the outer city limits over the last thirty years and for good reason too but we need to bring life back to the heart of the city!

I've said it before here and was pilloried for same but as they have purchased property in Doyle Street start there and I don't mean apartments/flats but houses
    with a garden, front and back with a parking place for a car or two. That would then entail the culling of some streets!

Front/back garden with parking is important to families but you would never fit that kind of property where those houses are located on doyle street. At best removing one of the house and expanding the othere may allow for three bed terraced houses with back garden and on street parking.

• Advertisement

Interesting tourism figures in today's independent, number 11 out of 26 counties on domestic visits and oversees visits 2017. Outside of Dublin, the wild Atlantic way counties dominate, its no surprise really, they have traditionally being well ahead for decades and with the WAW investment and promotion pushed them on further id guess, plenty of room for us in SE to push up into top 5 /10 , with right marketing and funding from govt. Meanwhile, we in Waterford need to promote ourselves, offer directions to tourist if they look lost, keep the place looking well, support the city centre businesses, bars, restaurants and our tourism products.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Meanwhile, we in Waterford need to promote ourselves, offer directions to tourist if they look lost, keep the place looking well, support the city centre businesses, bars, restaurants and our tourism products.

+1 for this very well said.

Front/back garden with parking is important to families but you would never fit that kind of property where those houses are located on doyle street. At best removing one of the house and expanding the othere may allow for three bed terraced houses with back garden and on street parking.

I'm not only including just the area of Doyle Street but the entire area from
    Barrack Street, Morrisson's Road to Lower Yellow Road. Obviously one step at a time!

View the area as a blank canvas 914, without what's currently there!
    Build new properties, create a totally new environment of modern day homes
    with a classical style that will never age!

Restrict purchases for first time buyers only and have conditions of sale
    and re-sale attached!

Barrack Street, Morrisson's Road to Lower Yellow Road. Obviously one step at a time!

and re-sale attached!

More fantasy land nonsense...first off, CPOing homes occupied already would be near impossible, especially if it's for non critical infrastructure, not just more homes.
    Secondly, where does this money come from, how does it get repaid, etc etc. Bearing also in mind council is millions in the red as is.
    Thirdly, the houses to be demolished on doyle street, were either already in council ownership or abandoned.added to that, they were structurally unsafe, that is why they are planned for knocking, that is how the council managed to take charge of all of them, i.e.there was little to no money involved.
    It's hard to credit you persist with such rubbish that has been proven to be drivel time and time again.

and re-sale attached!

Who and how could this be funded? Its a good idea but unrealistic. First off you would have to acquire all the properties, purchase new properties for those who reside there and moat likely pay compensation.

Then construct new properties. You would never get near breaking even, never mind making a profit.

The only way this would be anyway remotely possible is to build apartments 5-6 stories tall which wouldn't be family friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Sensible stuff Max. Did I not read in local papers recently that three small housing schemes were to start in September/October. One in Doyle Street on the site in question, one on the corner of Military Road and Lower Yellow Road (at the traffic lights) and the other on the garage site opposite the tax office at the junction of Bridge Street and the Glen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

and re-sale attached!

Ah Jaysus.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Sensible stuff Max. Did I not read in local papers recently that three small housing schemes were to start in September/October. One in Doyle Street on the site in question, one on the corner of Military Road and Lower Yellow Road (at the traffic lights) and the other on the garage site opposite the tax office at the junction of Bridge Street and the Glen?

Just passed doyle street today and work has begun on the houses there.

Just passed doyle street today and work has begun on the houses there.

Another dream bites the dust!

Another dream bites the dust!

Would you prefer they be left idle and fall down while we magical wait for millions to develop the area where a developer wouldn't break even let alone make a profit?

• Advertisement

Would you prefer they be left idle and fall down while we magical wait for millions to develop the area where a developer wouldn't break even let alone make a profit?

It was a load of nonsense is all.
    Back on the tourism front, a lot of artists painting in city centre today, side of KBC bank looks great...not finished yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Adyx wrote: »
    We really need a sarcasm smiley. :pac:

It's really not a competition (or at least not between the South East counties). A busy tourist season in the SE is good for us all. It's the other regions we should all be competing against. One city/county on it's own isn't big enough to put in the work needed to compete with the SW, Wild Atlantic Way etc.

This exactly...if visitors stay in KK a day trip to Waterford would be an ideal, very interesting and easy way to spend a day. Likewise visitors to Waterford. This is what we need to be doing, selling the lot as a package and this what I understand the aim of the Ancient East is trying to do. Rather than lamenting the lack of Wild Atlantic Way (Waterford is firmly in the east of country) embrace this as a way to get more people out of Dublin. I think Waterford as part of the WA Way would have been very much out on a limb trying to get visitors all the way from Kerry and the west coast with great difficulty.

Max Powers wrote: »
    It was a load of nonsense is all.
    Back on the tourism front, a lot of artists painting in city centre today, side of KBC bank looks great...not finished yet.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160126-how-a-modern-city-was-born

Maybe the French felt the same way Max but I wonder?

road_high wrote: »
    This exactly...if visitors stay in KK a day trip to Waterford would be an ideal, very interesting and easy way to spend a day. Likewise visitors to Waterford. This is what we need to be doing, selling the lot as a package and this what I understand the aim of the Ancient East is trying to do. Rather than lamenting the lack of Wild Atlantic Way (Waterford is firmly in the east of country) embrace this as a way to get more people out of Dublin. I think Waterford as part of the WA Way would have been very much out on a limb trying to get visitors all the way from Kerry and the west coast with great difficulty.

Think we starting to see this happen. The cruise ship that was docked in dunmore last week had a town in waterford around the VT etc and a day in KK at the castle. Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think we starting to see this happen. The cruise ship that was docked in dunmore last week had a town in waterford around the VT etc and a day in KK at the castle. Good to see.

Need to get more of these cruise ships in as they are a super way of getting in visitors with cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

road_high wrote: »

Need to get more of these cruise ships in as they are a super way of getting in visitors with cash!

A lot have come in this year and last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Its a pity Rosslare port the facilaties are so run down you would think with Brexit coming its going to be the gateway to Europe that things would be improved nothing working lifts stairs etc the last time I used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Joe Daly wrote:
    Its a pity Rosslare port the facilaties are so run down you would think with Brexit coming its going to be the gateway to Europe that things would be improved nothing working lifts stairs etc the last time I used it.

Hard to know where that calamity is going, but it currently doesn't look good, but there probably will be opportunities for us if it does indeed go south, port investments are expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Joe Daly wrote: »

Foynes seems to be set to gain most in the future ...... and appear to be well prepared with expansion plans and development in place.

http://www.sfpc.ie/about-us/port-development/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Advertisement