Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best finance options for gaming laptop

• 17-08-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Looking for best option to finance a gaming laptop .
    Also any suggestions as to what one to get.
    Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure there's any Irish companies actually offering finance on laptops. Dell might, but I don't think so. You'd probably have to go down the bank loan route and stay away from the likes of Harvey Norman's 'FlexiRent' nonsense, which leaves you never actually owning the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not worth it tbh, get what you can afford with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Instead of financing, save up, less laptop now but more money later.

If you really need it now take out a Credit Union loan or the like, financing is a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Better off saving dude. You'll get a better machine for less and wont end up paying back endless debt.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

You sure you need a gaming laptop? Building a desktop is so much more value & I’ve never missing having a laptop in 4+ years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Perhaps you can't afford it, if you have to get loan to buy it.

Maybe consider something cheaper like a 2nd hand desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nothing wrong with taking loans or financing items like this, just dont be an idiot when signing yourself for one.

I personally love credit card for things like this. It is always +/-50 eu balance and then when I want to buy something bigger I put a big chunk on to my cc and buy the item. Then every week ill be paying in to my cc 50-100eu. Last time I did this I bought Sony 4k TV for 1249eu and had my cc fully cleared in 2 months. CCs are great for short term "loans", which you can pay off on your own terms.

Op, if you financially smart, you can do cc thing like I do or take a loan from bank. Last time I check AIB had very reasonable 8.9% apr. Problem is you can't take less then 1k. Right now you could buy a very decent laptop with 1060 for about 900eu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'd also say save. 50 a week and you'll get a very good laptop in 6 months.
    Not sure there's any Irish companies actually offering finance on laptops. Dell might, but I don't think so. You'd probably have to go down the bank loan route and stay away from the likes of Harvey Norman's 'FlexiRent' nonsense, which leaves you never actually owning the laptop.

Never knew what that Flexirent was. Always assumed it was a HP agreement.

Just had a read there. Shocking!

€800 over 36 months @ 41.52 a month is almost €1500. Then you can offer to buy the item if you want to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Stay away from Flexirent!!! I have had 2 products through them. A TV and a laptop. The TV got a defect within the 2 years I was renting. It took 4 months, non-payment and threats of legal action (luckily I'm quite good at reading and quoting law) before the head of Flexirent Ireland sorted it after I threatened to camp outside anywhere using Flexirent to advise people against it. They even waived the last 2 payments because they were completly in the wrong (told me I had to deal with LG, not under Irish law I don't!).

Then got a laptop after a year (before the above started), and within a year it had a power surge after connecting a working external cd drive, and they have point blank refused to even look at it. I told them I have accidental damage cover, and they're saying it's not accidental. When I put it to them that if it's not accidental, are they saying I deliberately done it, they said no but still not accidental. I have 14 payments left on it, but they haven't contacted me in 6 months. I believe they have just cut their losses, and I'm down about €600 and have a busted laptop (motherboard is fried).

Stay as far away as possible from them. They're Australian and don't have a grasp of Irish law, but you'll get nowhere with them. Go to the Credit Union, they're the best bet. And you have to have saved 1/3rd of what you want to borrow. They're not for profit so a million miles better than a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Argos do 6 months interest free if you pay off within 6 months. Make sure you do though or it goes on to a high interest 3 year loan if you don't .

No idea if you'd find what you want there but worth a look maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

It’s a rental contract, You can own it at the end of the agreement, normally you need to make an additional payment, but the rates are chronic so best to be avoided.

Advertisement