Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Top Dirtiest and Best 15 footballers

Options
  • 17-08-2018 6:48pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Rules

Two per county max
    Has to be a realistic team so roughly players in positions can't be 15 goalies
    They have to be current intercounty players, if lads are level on the dirt then superior footballing skills wins
    Can't mention the same player twice
    No fighting it's just fun!

The list has to contain C O'Connor :) by default just to annoy the Mods

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Stoner wrote: »
    Rules

Two per county max
    They have to be current intercounty players, if lads are level on the dirt then superior footballing skills wins

Only two per county?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cluxton
    J Cooper, N McGee, M Burke
    P Crowley, Bradshaw, C Boyle
    C Cavanagh, A Maher
    M Murphy, D Mone, M Donnelly
    Comer, Argue, C O'Connor

It was tougher than I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Edgware wrote: »
    Only two per county?

A maximum of two from any county on the team.

Gonna take a bit of thought.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yes it makes it a bit harder, might keep it interesting and help with the trolls

Flight's delayed again.

I might name a B team

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yes it makes it a bit harder, might keep it interesting and help with the trolls

Flight's delayed again.

I might name a B team

Star has to be captain of that, surprised he didn't make the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Edgware wrote: »
    Only two per county?

I know. Tough one alright. Aren't there three O'Connor's? ;)

Stoner, are you seriously picking Cluxton as your second Dub over Philly?

Star was the second name on the list, but I was struggling for a No 9 to partner Maher.

I was caught on the two player rule

I had to pick a goalie PD, Give it a go yourse

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭LoveMeSexy

Cluxton
    C Cavanagh, A Maher
    Comer, Argue, C O'Connor

Is that Gareth Bradshaw?? Lol he's the least dirty of the Galway back line, I can't even remember him getting a yellow card in a club match

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

LoveMeSexy wrote: »
    Is that Gareth Bradshaw?? Lol he's the least dirty of the Galway back line, I can't even remember him getting a yellow card in a club match

Agreed, I had a little chuckle when I saw that, he's not aggressive or fast enough to be dirty, wish he was!

Agreed, I had a little chuckle when I saw that, he's not aggressive or fast enough to be dirty, wish he was!

Ahh I couldn't pick a perfect one

You guys are more interested in picking my team apart than selecting one yourselves

Give it a go.

I couldn't have Keegan or Mc Mahon as I used up the mayo , Dublin slots

• Advertisement

Cluxton
    C Cavanagh, A Maher
    Comer, Argue, C O'Connor

Good selection.

I'd contemplated Niall Morgan as opposed to Cluxton.

Philly doesn't have as much of an edge about him now.

John Small would be my second Dublin player.

Leeroy wouldnt register to the same degree as the other Mayo picks as he's simply more cynical when necessary.

Lest I be accused of lacking a sense of humour exhibit A might possibly be the O Connor brothers.

Diarmuid has done some less than savoury things in more recent times.

Not digging Gareth Bradshaw as a pick,never struck me as overly lacking in discipline.

Might put Donnelly in instead of Maher.

Comer has tightened up on his discipline so Star takes his starting position.

seligehgit wrote:
    Might put Donnelly in instead of Maher.

I had Donnelly there, he moves around a bit, but Maher is a genuine contender

O'Gara would be a good one in there too

I'm not proud of the Bradshaw selection.

It's a tougher task than it looks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Rules

Two per county max

Don't forget Diarmuid O' Connor too.

I had Donnelly there, he moves around a bit, but Maher is a genuine contender

O'Gara would be a good one in there too

I'm not proud of the Bradshaw selection.

It's a tougher task than it looks,

O'Gara's not dirty. He's just clumsy, in a bull in a China shop kinda way. Ahem....

I'm having a crisis of confidence here. Am genuinely having a hard time picking a keeper with a bit of an edge to him. Didn't Hennelly concede a peno against us a couple of years back, for a blatant pull down? Received either a black or a straight red for his trouble. Seemed more out of desperation than pure cynicism though.

I'll probably go with Niall Morgan so, if only because his crowd taunting a few years back was highly entertaining for about 5 minutes. Still feel like I'm clutching at straws though.

ProudDUB wrote:
    O'Gara's not dirty. He's just clumsy, in a bull in a China shop kinda way. Ahem....

I wonder what his mintues to card ratio is.

You are kind of half right though. He goes in as hard as anyone for the ball, but in his case he cracks ribs. That straight arm near hand tackle he does would break a horses back.

You are kind of half right though. He goes in as hard as anyone for the ball, but in his case he cracks ribs. That straight arm near hand tackle he does would break a horses back.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was the worst in the entire squad. But as our good friend Martin Carney would say - there's no malice in it. :p

That same arm could hold off a Panzer tank, when there are high balls sent into him on the edge of the square. He was some boyo for winning the dirty ball and laying it off to Berno or whoever. However, the word finesse just isn't in his vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Surprised not to see Galway's Eoghan Kerin there corner back. Always involved in off the ball antics whoever he's playing but is a tough and tigerish corner back who's in forwards ear all game.

mjp wrote:
    Surprised not to see Galway's Eoghan Kerin there corner back. Always involved in off the ball antics whoever he's playing but is a tough and tigerish corner back who's in forwards ear all game.

Ok we'll do it together.
    The first ever Boards.ie team based thread

Morgan
    P Crowley, Keirn, Small
    C Cavanagh, M Donnelly
    M Murphy, D Mone, Doherty
    Argue, Star, D O'Connor

I don't agree with small but he's there

Keirn added
    Star added
    Morgan for Cluxton
    Doherty added by me

I'd swap Sean Andy Pandy for Andrew Kerin.

TBH clutching at straws re the goalkeeper.

• Advertisement

I know. I just said that. Pay attention. Is stopping WW3 from breaking out in the final thread distracting you? :D

ProudDUB wrote:
    I know. I just said that. Pay attention. Is stopping WW3 from breaking out in the final thread distracting you?

There was an fine job done.
    Stalin Style Modding. The past disappeared.

Cluxton
    P Crowley, Keirn, Sean Andy O'Ceallaigh
    C Cavanagh, M Donnelly
    M Murphy, D Mone, Doherty
    Argue, Star, D O'Connor

Correction, 3 Tyrone men on the last team

Still not happy with the Galway contingent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Cooper & McMahon are shoe ins.
    I don’t actually think Cillian O’connor Is dirty, but he would be far better served concentrating on his own game than getting involved for sure.
    O’Gara has that eye gouging incident didn’t he.
    Who was the dub a while back who was biting fingers? Or was there 2 separate incidents?

Also that Micky Burke lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

ProudDUB wrote: »

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was the worst in the entire squad. But as our good friend Martin Carney would say - there's no malice in it. :p

That same arm could hold off a Panzer tank, when there are high balls sent into him on the edge of the square. He was some boyo for winning the dirty ball and laying it off to Berno or whoever. However, the word finesse just isn't in his vocabulary.

Seen him in the gym last year, the man is an ox. I’d say the toughest hoor on the GAA inter county scene.
    Wouldn’t fancy a slap off him.

Cooper & McMahon are shoe ins. I don’t actually think Cillian O’connor Is dirty, but he would be far better served concentrating on his own game than getting involved for sure. O’Gara has that eye gouging incident didn’t he. Who was the dub a while back who was biting fingers? Or was there 2 separate incidents?

There was breaking fingers Kerry Vs Donegal that's covered gouging confirmed as McMahon, biting was McMahon, and O'Brien. The biting fingers was O'Gara he was generally cleared since M Burke stuck his fingers in his mouth to begin with.

C O Connor is dirty imo he lands in with the knee, dives in, McCarthy nearly took the head off him with his attempted flying knee one year. He's sly about it.

Regarding keepers the old Armagh keeper was in the mix , Cluxton kicked someone up the backside years ago

I really wouldn't have Morgan as dirty he's more of an attention seeker but I can't remember him doing anything dirty at all.

conor05 wrote: »
    Seen him in the gym last year, the man is an ox. I’d say the toughest hoor on the GAA inter county scene.
    Wouldn’t fancy a slap off him.

Being a big man, or built like an ox doesn't always mean you are hard or dirty. Aidan O'Shea is built like a brick $hit house and he wouldn't hurt a fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Being a big man, or built like an ox doesn't always mean you are hard or dirty. Aidan O'Shea is built like a brick $hit house and he wouldn't hurt a fly.

And he is a sh!te brainless footballer as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Always funny how the dubs think that O Gara is just clumsy but Donaghy is dirty!

• Advertisement

Not funny at all. Donaghy is a brilliantly skillful player. You'd never in a million years call him clumsy. He has an incredible amount of finesse for such a big man & he has the Footballer of the Year gong to show for it. I still have nightmares about the fabulous point he kicked in 2011 to level the final in the 70th minute. You'd never see O'Gara doing that. He's someone you'd have nightmares about being let near your grannies good china. There's not much method to his physical skullduggery. Philly and Jonny on the other hand....good luck finding any Dubs who'll make the clumsiness excuses for them.

Advertisement