Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disenchantment (NetFlix) [Matt Groening][2018]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very interesting. I think Netflix's comedy output is very strong, more so than their dramas and that, coupled with Groenig and the cast is promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭corkie

First look at Matt Groening's first new show in two decades

disenchantment-netflix-3.jpg

The series, whose 10-episode first season launches Aug. 17, also will feature the voice talents of John DiMaggio, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, David Herman, Matt Berry, Jeny Batten, Rich Fulcher, Noel Fielding, and Lucy Montgomery.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First trailer. :)
    Out August 17th.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s most of the same cast as Futurama then? Doing for fantasy what the former did for sci fi I assume.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have an immediate mental block / bias to work against, because the fantasy setting & Groening character styling makes me think of that execrable "Benders Game" feature-length episode of Futurama :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Part 1", consisting of 10 episodes, has dropped. Kinda looking forward to this given the pedigree, though like Futurama (and the Simpsons too in fairness) before it I expect it to take a while to bed down & find its voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have watched the first episode....I enjoyed it! Not sure why its getting pretty poor reviews.
    The 3 main characters are excellent.
    It looks terrific lots of little details in the background.

Also couple of the side characters they bump in to are great fun, the fairy and the priest in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Hmmmm first episode was poor.

Maybe it will improve.

Matt Berry playing his character from the IT crowd is promising

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just watched it. It's just flat and lacking in energy. Even the opening sequence trying to establish Bean with the Poker fight was just absolutely lifeless. It's as if every interaction goes on a beat too long. I'd like to see it more aggressively edited for better timing.

edit: also better writing. And while I'm at it, some of Groening's established players are making it sound like a best of his other works. Did DiMaggio really have to go to that well again.

• Advertisement

Yeah the first episode is a mixed bag. Some of the gags were chucklesome, some not so much but it's the usual complaint with Netflix comedies: the pilot was too damn long with too many scenes stretching past the punchline.

Curious to know the plot though, and I kinda liked the characters anyway so the good generally outweighed the bad on balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

My, how far(ahem!)-reaching some Father Ted jokes seem to be, unless there was a massive coincidence in the writing of that first episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

3 episodes in and I quite like it. Bean is a good lead. The gags do raise a chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 PenguinEggs

Only a couple of episodes left and I really like it. Its not brilliant, but I thought the same of Futurama for the first few shows as well, but I do think its getting better and better so hopefully Part II will have ironed out the uneveness

I like the balance of crap magic and semi realistic medieval living conditions vs outright fantasy. The characters and plots as well as series spanning sub texts are fine. It just needs better jokes

Only popped on episode 2, penned by Futurama alum David X Cohen himself, and it was a much funnier, sharper beast. Lots of great rapid fire asides that felt very similar to that previous Groening show in its pomp.

A lot of the humour stinks of zombie simpsons. Really shallow stuff.

Got to the end, which ends on a bit of a cliff hanger, and I have enjoyed it enough to be annoyed if they don't get renewed to resolve the new developments.

Finished up with those first, released 10 episodes and ... uhm, well, it was Okay. There are laughs to be had, but in between masses of bloat and flatlining comedy. It was a more serialised beast than previous Groening shows - for better and worse. Honestly I didn't care about half the cast so the big cliffhanger at the end didn't leave me eager to know everyones' fate. Elfo was particularly annoying and his whole arc a total dud.

Disenchantment Theory: Is The Netflix Series Set In The FUTURE?

Theory from clip: -
    Set in destroyed New York, which we see when FRY is frozen.

New episodes stretched out over the next 3 years.

• Advertisement

Because when your show gets broadly lukewarm reviews and a tepid reaction, what you really should do is stretch out those remaining episodes?

Yeah, I don't get it. Weird decision.

New episodes stretched out over the next 3 years.

Is that clip just confirming that there will be 3 more seasons of the show? (And not one spreadout?)

Yeah, it's a bit unclear. Though it'd be equally surprising if Netflix were committing to 3 more seasons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

IGN reporting it as one more season (season 2) split in 2 (10 episodes each) with the second half of Season 1 (10 episodes in 2019). 30 episodes total over the next 3 years but only 2 seasons (40 episodes in total).

https://ie.ign.com/articles/2018/10/22/disenchantment-season-2-renewed-netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

pixelburp wrote: »
    Because when your show gets broadly lukewarm reviews and a tepid reaction, what you really should do is stretch out those remaining episodes?

Yeah, I don't get it. Weird decision.
    It's 10 episodes a year, for a few years, like many other modern shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I quite enjoyed Disenchantment so I'm glad it'll be coming back.
    It was a bit middle of the road but it was shut off your brain entertainment so this will be back to be commuting entertainment for me :)
    Perfect epsiode lenght for me on the bus.

Next, part, series, season, new episodes on September 20th
    https://twitter.com/disenchantment/status/1129031247827595266?s=19

A show I completely forgot I even watched. Possibly not a good sign, though there's definitely potential in there, somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

Full trailer has popped up; looks like it still has that weird mix of serialised drama & comedy.

Advertisement