Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trouble playing a game on Steam

Options
  • 17-08-2018 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

Evening all. I have signed up for steam and tried to have a go at one of the free to play games. The Expendabros caught my eye but it won't let me play. When I click play game I get a popup that says "You need to have the Steam desktop application installed before you can install and launch The Expendabros. Do you have Steam installed on this computer?

I then get a yes or no option but it won't do anything when I click yes. So I have clicked no and downloaded steam again but the game still won't play. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You need to be logged into the steam client application on your computer and then launch the game from there. The site does have a feature to interact with the client but it sounds like it's not working for you so just avoid using the site in your browser for now and stick with the client.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

You need to be logged into the steam client application on your computer and then launch the game from there. The site does have a feature to interact with the client but it sounds like it's not working for you so just avoid using the site in your browser for now and stick with the client.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean though. I do have steam downloaded. I'm not well versed in tech things, could you explain it like you would to an 8 year old? Actually 8 year olds would have no problem with this, could you explain it like you would to an 88 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yester wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean though. I do have steam downloaded. I'm not well versed in tech things, could you explain it like you would to an 8 year old? Actually 8 year olds would have no problem with this, could you explain it like you would to an 88 year old?

You downloaded steam AND installed it? I assume you're on windows and have installed applications on it before. You double click the .exe file and it will go through the installation process.

Once that's done and you launch steam (might be a shortcut on your desktop now) and use your login credentials. From there, you're in the steam client which is pretty much just a limited browser. Go to the store (in the client), search for the game you're interested in (it looks very much like the site) and install it from that its store page (NOT in your regular browser, stick with the client). Then it will give you a confirmation prompt for the install. Let it do its thing and once it's downloaded you can play it through the 'GAMES' menu or in its store page with the "play now" button.

Here's a bullet list to make it simple
    1. Download steam client
    2. Install steam client
    3. Launch steam client
    4. Log in to the steam client
    5. Use client to install/play games

If you're confused about any specific point in this, explain which and I'll try help more if needed. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Thanks for the help Robert ninja. "You downloaded steam AND installed it?" That was the problem, I didn't install it.
    Cheers man.

Advertisement