Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tourism

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Deiseen wrote:
    It shows a drop in the number of people visiting Waterford from 2016, which is strange because we were told the Greenway was a massive success.

You d be surprised of the amount of bull**** humans come up with in order sell concepts to one another, even though creating infrastructure such as the greenway can be good for your society, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be good for your economy, and don't believe everything you read either, I'd class the greenway as being very successful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Deiseen wrote:
    It shows a drop in the number of people visiting Waterford from 2016, which is strange because we were told the Greenway was a massive success.

You d be surprised of the amount of bull**** humans come up with in order sell concepts to one another, even though creating infrastructure such as the greenway can be good for your society, that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be good for your economy, and don't believe everything you read either, I'd class the greenway as being very successful

Well you would at least think that it would strengthen Waterford's appeal so that we wouldn't see a drop but the opposite has happened. Maybe with the good weather this year the numbers will be up.

We do need to do better thou, for we must be doing the worst of all the coastal counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure the Greenway's only hitting it's stride this year.

Wexford's numbers are skewed massively by Dubs running amok in Courtown Harbour.

Sure the Greenway's only hitting it's stride this year.

Wexford's numbers are skewed massively by Dubs running amok in Courtown Harbour.

They are. But it still means we are bottom of the table.

What do you suggest? A free bus from D24?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Greenway is def popular, you've only to go see it any day of the week and see the amount of families cycling or walking on it.
    its very popular during the summer but evening during the winter I've met families cycling the length of it

What do you suggest? A free bus from D24?

Better promotion for one. A lot of people in Ireland see Waterford as a scum hole and dont realise what it actually has to offer.

When we look at the numbers other coastal counties are pulling, it shows how behind we are.

All of them are pulling in anywhere from 1 million visitors to 2 million visitors.

We are barely scraping past 500,000.

Galway and Cork get 2.7 million each and they are further from Dublin than us and Wexford, so its not the dubs skewing that data.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Advertising for Wild Atlantic Way has pulled many people west. No real identity in that Ancient East mess. New hotel product needed locally as well as in Tramore and probably Dunmore. In general though we often don't help ourselves. Someone posted a "Waterford beaches are sh*t" thread after some smaller beaches failed water tests. Many beaches in Galway failed test too but you'll search a long to find any comment. As long as the derelict flour mills were there we had huge eyesore in city centre. Greenway is not properly finished into city and that whole Bilberry Road thing is very unappealing at present. The Greenway has been massive boost to Kilmacthomas and Dungarvan so it is helping., From personal experience, the number of Dubs who use the Wexford coast from Gorey/Courtown to Rosslare is quite phenomenal. We have nothing like it.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Greenway is def popular, you've only to go see it any day of the week and see the amount of families cycling or walking on it.
    its very popular during the summer but evening during the winter I've met families cycling the length of it

Didn't mean to say it wasn't really. But just didnt expect to see a dip in numbers after it opened.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Advertising for Wild Atlantic Way has pulled many people west. No real identity in that Ancient East mess. New hotel product needed locally as well as in Tramore and probably Dunmore. In general though we often don't help ourselves. Someone posted a "Waterford beaches are sh*t" thread after some smaller beaches failed water tests. Many beaches in Galway failed test too but you'll search a long to find any comment. As long as the derelict flour mills were there we had huge eyesore in city centre. Greenway is not properly finished into city and that whole Bilberry Road thing is very unappealing at present. The Greenway has been massive boost to Kilmacthomas and Dungarvan so it is helping., From personal experience, the number of Dubs who use the Wexford coast from Gorey/Courtown to Rosslare is quite phenomenal. We have nothing like it.

The wild atlantic way thing really bothers me considering we are actually on the Atlantic. How our politicians are not roaring to get us added to it is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Deiseen wrote: »
    The wild atlantic way thing really bothers me considering we are actually on the Atlantic. How our politicians are not roaring to get us added to it is beyond me.

Really bothers me too! But unfortunately, we're not actually on the Atlantic, we're on the Celtic sea.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Sea

deise08 wrote: »

Really bothers me too! But unfortunately, we're not actually on the Atlantic, we're on the Celtic sea.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Sea

Except the Celtic Sea is in the Atlantic Ocean. Its like saying Waterford is not in Ireland because its in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I see Fáilte Ireland have published their tourisms figures by county for 2017.

Interesting to note that Wexford managed to get 654,000 domestic trips to our 327,000. Fair play to them. Kilkenny slightly ahead on numbers but behind in the amount spent.

Either way, with our mountains, greenway, coast and a decent offering in the city, we should be doing way way better than we are.

Document is here:

http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/3_Research_Insights/2_Regional_SurveysReports/2017-topline-regional-tourism-performance.pdf?ext=.pdf

They create the Wild Atlantic Way and exclude Waterford from it even though it is on the Atlantic coast and has more to offer than a lot of the counties included in the Wild Atlantic Way. They create the Ancient East and their ad’s rarely mentions Waterford. Yet entire Ancient East TV ad’s are dedicated to Cork harbour which is not even in the east of the country. So of course Waterford is not achieving its full tourism potential, how could it when it is not getting a fair share from tourist initiatives.

The reality is that considering it is getting one hand tied behind its back went it comes to state support and I include Waterford TD’s in that as well. Waterford is actually doing very well considering the circumstances it finds itself in.

BBM77 wrote: »

Interesting to note that Wexford managed to get 654,000 domestic trips to our 327,000. Fair play to them. Kilkenny slightly ahead on numbers but behind in the amount spent.

Either way, with our mountains, greenway, coast and a decent offering in the city, we should be doing way way better than we are.

Document is here:

http://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/3_Research_Insights/2_Regional_SurveysReports/2017-topline-regional-tourism-performance.pdf?ext=.pdf

They create the Wild Atlantic Way and exclude Waterford from it even though it is on the Atlantic coast and has more to offer than a lot of the counties included in the Wild Atlantic Way. They create the Ancient East and their ad’s rarely mentions Waterford. Yet entire Ancient East TV ad’s are dedicated to Cork harbour which is not even in the east of the country. So of course Waterford is not achieving its full tourism potential, how could it when it is not getting a fair share from tourist initiatives.

The reality is that considering it is getting one hand tied behind its back went it comes to state support and I include Waterford TD’s in that as well. Waterford is actually doing very well considering the circumstances it finds itself in.

I know it would be hard to exclude Limerick due to its position, but it's definitely not on tbe Atlantic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

I've said here before the Atlantic way should have come around to Waterford. Think of the attractions along the coasts of Cork and Waterford that would enhance that route and make it even more attractive.

Also could have huge knock on effect for the airport being the start/stopping point for tourists entering/leaving the country. Get off a plane and within 30 minutes you are on the copper coast, greenway or in Dunmore !! How is that not a marketers dream?

thomasm wrote: »
    I've said here before the Atlantic way should have come around to Waterford. Think of the attractions along the coasts of Cork and Waterford that would enhance that route and make it even more attractive.

Also could have huge knock on effect for the airport being the start/stopping point for tourists entering/leaving the country. Get off a plane and within 30 minutes you are on the copper coast, greenway or in Dunmore !! How is that not a marketers dream?

If the airport does get the extension, and once the North Quays is built. This needs be priority number 1 for everyone representing Waterford (tourism wise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

When we look at the numbers other coastal counties are pulling, it shows how behind we are.

All of them are pulling in anywhere from 1 million visitors to 2 million visitors.

We are barely scraping past 500,000.

Galway and Cork get 2.7 million each and they are further from Dublin than us and Wexford, so its not the dubs skewing that data.

What do we have that other counties don't and whatever way you want to look at it the west will always be a major draw for tourists regardless.
    Maybe if we invested a little more in advertising our county and amenities then maybe things might change!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wexford gets the Americans on their way to see the Kennedy homestead and that thing they have in new Ross too going for it

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Listening to the chatter around my Dublin office this summer, a considerable number of people have taken their holidays in Ireland. For busy office workers, getting as far away from things and relaxation are the main priority. If the weather is great and there is stuff to do, that's a bonus.

One colleague went to Ardmore and had a really good time, but most go to either Wexford or then the west coast. The West is currently fashionable, but I think this will turn back again if the product is right in the South East.

Dunmore East in particular surprises me. It was somewhere that had a really good reputation, but its gone invisible recently. It has everything it should need - except a good quality hotel.

Tramore - needs a bit of TLC to say the least. The beach is in bits with rocks, and the main street is very run down. Again, I'd see a lot of potential here, but I'm amazed there isn't one really good hotel in it.

Waterford doesn't appear to have any major conference centre hotels - I think that's something that would bring a lot of people in.

I'm surprised somewhere like Tramore hasn't put on an airshow like Bray when they have an airport next door to it. The Bray one draws massive crowds.

I think the new music festival in Portlaw is a huge cause for optimism - hopefully that brings repeat business.

The Greenway needs sustained investment to allow it achieve its potential, but this time I think its retailers and the hospitality industry who need to step up. There should be more stuff along the route to encourage people to spend money, and to stay along the route.

There is the beginnings of a Greenway economy, it'll take time and obviously as mentioned it needs to reach into Waterford properly.

• Advertisement

Wexford gets the Americans on their way to see the Kennedy homestead and that thing they have in new Ross too going for it

We actually get more overseas visitors than they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

It's worth keeping in mind that a large amount of visitors to Waterford are here only for a couple of hours or one day. Obviously, with the cruise ships that's always going to happen but even independent visitors (Americans especially) only stop off here on their way from Dublin to Cork. We see it every day in work with tourists having only 30mins to spare for lunch.

I'd imagine those tourists would be less inclined to visit the Greenway and I think some work needs to be done on attracting overseas visitors for longer stays. That said, there's been fantastic work done since I first moved here, especially with the Viking Triangle but the whole city feels more welcoming in the last couple of years I feel.

Adyx wrote: »
    It's worth keeping in mind that a large amount of visitors to Waterford are here only for a couple of hours or one day. Obviously, with the cruise ships that's always going to happen but even independent visitors (Americans especially) only stop off here on their way from Dublin to Cork. We see it every day in work with tourists having only 30mins to spare for lunch.

I'd imagine those tourists would be less inclined to visit the Greenway and I think some work needs to be done on attracting overseas visitors for longer stays. That said, there's been fantastic work done since I first moved here, especially with the Viking Triangle but the whole city feels more welcoming in the last couple of years I feel.

The overseas visitors might not spend much time here but they spend more money here than in Kilkenny..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The overseas visitors might not spend much time here but they spend more money here than in Kilkenny..

Do you believe these figures? Looking a the Carlow figures they rock my faith in their credibility- the revenue is only 10 million behind KK for foreign visitors (on 1/4 of the visitor numbers), 3 million for domestic. Now Carlow is a lovely county but tourist mecca it certainly isn't- I'm there every other day and you would struggle to meet a tourist bar one or two at Brownshill Dolmen. Where are they all these high spending visitors staying/doing?

road_high wrote: »

Do you believe these figures? Looking a the Carlow figures they rock my faith in their credibility- the revenue is only 10 million behind KK for foreign visitors (on 1/4 of the visitor numbers), 3 million for domestic. Now Carlow is a lovely county but tourist mecca it certainly isn't- I'm there every other day and you would struggle to meet a tourist bar one or two at Brownshill Dolmen. Where are they all these high spending visitors staying/doing?

Carlow has a lot more industry than Kilkenny so you probably see representatives from the companys spending longer amounts of time in tbe area and more money.

Would explain why Waterford has a higher tourist spend than Kilkenny as well, even though they get more tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭914

Document is here:

Out of interest how are the figures recorded? Is it through accommodation bookings, tour bookings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Oh well then who cares. As long as we beat Kilkenny, that's the important thing here.

Adyx wrote: »

Oh well then who cares. As long as we beat Kilkenny, that's the important thing here.

They catching up on us thou!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

They catching up on us thou!!

Have a walk around Kilkenny on a good weekend and see who's leading who!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Have a walk around Kilkenny on a good weekend and see who's leading who!

Waterford was packed out most weekends this year. Place could be standing room only and you would still say everywhere,anywhere else is better. Half the problem with Waterford is the local begrudgers. Place is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Advertisement