Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The politics of the pope's visit.

• 15-08-2018 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭

This is a powerful interview.

"What do you tell an institution that teaches morality but has none?"

"When you've embezzled from the church as a priest you go to jail, when you rape a child as a priest you get transferred to a whole new flock of kids"

I don't see how any government could (or should in my opinion) support a visit by the international leader of an organisation which has and continues to pro actively cover up and avoid responsibility for such large scale paedophilia on a global scale.

I know the pope is technically a head of state so some may use "diplomacy" as a reason for rolling out the red carpet and others may with some justification point to it being an opportunity for our government/political leaders to challenge him but I think it sends a very poor signal that things are somehow "normal" when they are far from it.

If the international head of any other organisation whose local branch had systematically abused and then covered up the abuse of our country's most vulnerable citizens there is no way they'd get the sort of welcome this guy is going to get and no way 500,000 or however many otherwise good and caring people heading to the Phoenix Park would fawn over him, they'd be part of the backlash against any such a visit.

I just don't get it other than the reason it's being facilitated is that no politician can afford to pi$$ off the catholic church going voters in their constituency so it's best to play along enthusiastically or if you cannot bring yourself to associate with the visit you just say nothing and let it pass for fear of losing votes at the next election?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's criminality aside, not one cent of tax payer money should be going beyond what any other visiting dignitary gets. The Pope's gig should be put through the same rigors and fees as the Red Hot Chilli Peppers IMO. We are sending out the wrong message that the state is complicit with and sponsoring the Catholic organisation.
    I'm not suggesting we ban such events, just leave them at arms length for the tax payer.
    Politicians are free to attend like anyone else. The state should have nothing to do with it other than welcoming the Pope at the same level as any other foreign dignitary. Be nice if he was brought in for interview regarding his organisations criminal covering up of child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not let the Scientologist group have a big free gig.

I do think the Irish are slowly waking up though to the church.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

To hell with him, the Catholics of Northern Ireland carried on the religion through plantation and discrimination but Pope wouldn't even pay a visit, even though Armagh is the capital of the Irish Catholic church, I don't even go to mass anymore, I don't know if I will return.

To hell with him, the Catholics of Northern Ireland carried on the religion through plantation and discrimination but Pope wouldn't even pay a visit, even though Armagh is the capital of the Irish Catholic church, I don't even go to mass anymore, I don't know if I will return.

Probably doesn't want to upset the supporters of William of Orange, who's campaign against the Catholics was in part funded by Pope Alexander VIII. Frankly that would be one of the things put me off the whole organisation, that and the pedophilia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Firstly, I'm not going to see him, couldn't care less whether he comes or not.
    But crowds will flock to see him, he is a figurehead for probably the largest still practicing religions in the country.
    I think the state shouldn't be out of pocket though, the catholic church in Ireland should foot the bill and he shouldn't be treated as a head of state visiting here.
    Politically speaking he isn't any worse than a lot of other political leaders we've entertained here, look at the amount of lives which have and continue to be damaged by the policies of a lot of western leaders whom we consider it an honour to have welcomed here throughout our history, the injustices visible in the countries we continue to do business with all the time.
    In regard to lumping the pope in with that, he is probably by far not the worst visitor we could have here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Edward M wrote: »
    In regard to lumping the pope in with that, he is probably by far not the worst visitor we could have here.

I'd be interested to see a list of visitors who would be less welcome than the leader of the largest systemic paedophile ring to ever operate throughout history!!

Kim Jong-un is the only living leader who springs to mind who's organisation could compete with the catholic church in terms of systemic abuse. I'm sure there are despots in Africa who would make the list but I'm not familiar with them and don't think they've been welcomed here, not in the recent past anyway.

China would have a bad human rights record, but sure they help some make money. Not to mention the Putin related financial shell companies we house. But that's all whatabout. The Pope needs to make an apology at his tax payer funded gig.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

As long as 80% of Irish people keep blindly ticking Catholic on the Census form like complete fools, it makes it very difficult politically to take a stance against the pope visiting Ireland.

Amirani wrote: »
    As long as 80% of Irish people keep blindly ticking Catholic on the Census form like complete fools, it makes it very difficult politically to take a stance against the pope visiting Ireland.

It would be foolish to attempt such a thing. However, 'let the church foot the bill, they've enough money' might be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭blackwhite

It would be foolish to attempt such a thing. However, 'let the church foot the bill, they've enough money' might be an idea.

If only. I'm sure there'd be another Bertie-esque deal struck where they'd transfer a field or two to the State and then leave us with an open-ended bill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Amirani wrote: »

You need to grow up! Ireland is no different to any other Western European country today. It has a predominantly Christian ethos and this is reflected in it's politicians etc.... so there is not going to any credible support for your nonsense.

I'd be interested to see a list of visitors who would be less welcome than the leader of the largest systemic paedophile ring to ever operate throughout history!!

Kim Jong-un is the only living leader who springs to mind who's organisation could compete with the catholic church in terms of systemic abuse. I'm sure there are despots in Africa who would make the list but I'm not familiar with them and don't think they've been welcomed here, not in the recent past anyway.

I'd be interested to see any get a better public reception too.
    500000 looking to see him, could easily be more if there was space and time.

I'd be interested to see any get a better public reception too.
    500000 looking to see him, could easily be more if there was space and time.

Large crowds of indoctrinated members fawing over their leader in mass delusion isn't always a good thing!!

Hitler-21534492677.jpg

Hitler1534492683.jpg

^^^^^^^ comparing politically I think that's bordering on the ridiculous.

^^^^^^^^^ That's the least surprising statement I've read in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suppose there will be a big turnout, but I have yet to meet/talk online to anyone who is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Large crowds of indoctrinated members fawing over their leader in mass delusion isn't always a good thing!! . . .
    Godwinned.

^^^^^^^^^ That's the least surprising statement I've read in a long time.

Politically speaking, and this is a political thread and forum, mass delusion is what we are constantly sold. No pun intended on the mass.
    As I said earlier, looking at it politically, the pope is one of the least threatening visitors we could entertain.

Politically speaking, and this is a political thread and forum, mass delusion is what we are constantly sold. No pun intended on the mass.
    As I said earlier, looking at it politically, the pope is one of the least threatening visitors we could entertain.

The organisation he leads is quite threatening, in particular to the very young and most vulnerable.

I can't recall the last time the Irish government rolled out the red carpet for a leader who's organisation has such a despicable record of abuse.

The organisation he leads is quite threatening, in particular to the very young and most vulnerable.

I can't recall the last time the Irish government rolled out the red carpet for a leader who's organisation has such a despicable record of abuse.

Try any American or British rep or leader, just lovely regimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Large crowds of indoctrinated members fawing over their leader in mass delusion isn't always a good thing!!

Hitler-21534492677.jpg

Hitler1534492683.jpg

When you come out with that kind of BS all you to is discredit yourself and the points you are trying to make. Time to but junior on ignore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You need to grow up! Ireland is no different to any other Western European country today. It has a predominantly Christian ethos and this is reflected in it's politicians etc.... so there is not going to any credible support for your nonsense.

What nonsense exactly? I merely said that it's politically non-viable to offer credible opposition to the visit of a figure that 80% of the population purports represents them.

I have justifiable reason that the 80% is quite inaccurate and I think it's foolish for people to simultaneously form a portion of it and protest the accommodations being made for the papal visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 foggyflies

Papal_Visit_Mockup_1800x1800.jpg?v=1534423189

It's mad what kind of stuff they were selling all throughout as a result of this. Has anyone seen the one of the pope wearing a repeal jumper?
    Pope in repeal jumper

Advertisement