Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bringing Children To Games

• 15-08-2018 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/80-to-bring-a-16weekold-baby-to-the-allireland-final-tyrone-fan-slams-bizarre-gaa-ticket-policy-37211641.html

What do other posters think of this story doing the rounds?

I can never understand why people bring children that young to games. For one the child will not understand what is going on at all, the noise at a football match, especially an All Ireland final would be very daunting for any child especially one that young. I also can never understand why parents seem to think they've a right to being their children for free.

Is this lady getting the story out there to fish for free entry for the child come All Ireland final day? Is it another attention seeking stunt to try and get her way? Or is it just another weak news article aimed to have a pot shot at the GAA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What part of "she is breast feeding her child, so she didn't want to leave him at home" didn't you get? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Can you imagine the number of lads Who'd be making out their "infant" 15 year old will be sitting on their lap....
    Shure if she'd put the child in a sling, under her coat no-one would have known anyway...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Markcheese wrote: »
    Can you imagine the number of lads Who'd be making out their "infant" 15 year old will be sitting on their lap....
    Shure if she'd put the child in a sling, under her coat no-one would have known anyway...
    Wouldn't be very safe going through the turnstiles and something happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What part of "she is breast feeding her child, so she didn't want to leave him at home" didn't you get? :confused:

she can express milk at 16 weeks with no problem...

you can be sure the child hasn't expressed any desire to be at the game. Its selfish parenting full stop.

She doesn't want to miss out herself..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll say it early, anyone bringing a 16 week baby to a game is an idiot.

For me, you are a bad parent putting your own wishes in front of your new baby.

Some people need to accept that once you have a new baby, your life has to change.

Should have watched it at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

Then don;t go to the game simple. Just because she has a child i don't see why the world has to accommodate her. She can't have every way, either don't go to the game or pay for the child

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

she can express milk at 16 weeks with no problem...

you can be sure the child hasn't expressed any desire to be at the game. Its selfish parenting full stop.

She doesn't want to miss out herself..

Not all breastfed babies will take a bottle.

That being said, I wouldn’t do it with my little fella. The noise and crowds would be way too much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

NIMAN wrote: »

Some people need to accept that once you have a new baby, your life has to change.

Sure why is she allowed out of the house in the first place. Husband should be fined for letting her out.

But in this new modern world parnets think everyone else should change for them

Keano wrote: »
    Sure why is she allowed out of the house in the first place. Husband should be fined for letting her out.

I don't hate mothers. I'm married to one!

But my wife would never have considered taking a small child to a big event. There's a place for a 16 week old breast feeding child, and it's not at a major sporting event just cos the ma wants to go.

Again, another modern phenomenon. Wouldn't have happened a decade or two ago, but now people are entitled to do things, no matter how silly they are.

• Advertisement

I don't hate mothers. I'm married to one!

But my wife would never have considered taking a small child to a big event. There's a place for a 16 week old breast feeding child, and it's not at a major sporting event just cos the ma wants to go.

Again, another modern phenomenon. Wouldn't have happened a decade or two ago, but now people are entitled to do things, no matter how silly they are.
    It's her choice to go where she wants with her baby. Chances are the baby will be in a sling so will be attached to her the whole time. Do I think it's the right place for a baby, no but that they want her to pay €80 is a joke.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is this 1940..... Hoping lads are pulling the pi$$ on these posts, otherwise lads you really need to get out more.

It's her choice to go where she wants with her baby. Chances are the baby will be in a sling so will be attached to her the whole time. Do I think it's the right place for a baby, no but that they want her to pay €80 is a joke.

I know it's her choice, I'm just saying it was the wrong choice!

I am not even arguing abiut buying the ticket for the child. To be there is a bigger issue than that. And that's her selfishness.

I bet if she told her family and friends she was taking her child to the game, every one of them would have thought " sweet jesus, you're doing what?" probably not actually said to her, but that's what most sane people would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

cms88 wrote: »
    But in this new modern world parnets think everyone else should change for them

Mothers have breast fed babies since the year dot .? So that's hardly a new addition to the 'modern world' ?? :confused:

(but I don't agree that she should be bringing an infant to a major sporting event)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

So at what age should parents be allowed bring kids to games for free till??
    Do you get a passport for the child??

There's always complaints about €80 for kids for the All Irl which is steep, but in fairness it's only a fiver to bring them to semi finals. And all league games (at group stages at least) are free to U16s. All in all, that's not bad going

I know it's her choice, I'm just saying it was the wrong choice!

I am not even arguing abiut buying the ticket for the child. To be there is a bigger issue than that. And that's her selfishness.

I bet if she told her family and friends she was taking her child to the game, every one of them would have thought " sweet jesus, you're doing what?" probably not actually said to her, but that's what most sane people would think.
    But we don't know her circumstances though, she may not have anyone to mind the child etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hidalgo wrote: »

There's always complaints about €80 for kids for the All Irl which is steep, but in fairness it's only a fiver to bring them to semi finals. And all league games (at group stages at least) are free to U16s. All in all, that's not bad going

What about charging €80 for a seat at the final anyway !!!! :eek:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

But we don't know her circumstances though, she may not have anyone to mind the child etc

Sorry, but there's an obvious thing to do so.

It involves her house and a TV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

but just dont go to it. It's a sacrifice, but thats what happens when you have children. I'm not even a mother, but I've missed plenty of club and county games because of my kids. They take priority, not going to watch your county play no matter how big a game it is. Is this her first child?

Hidalgo wrote: »

Airlines have the right idea, any child over 2 needs a seat. If you take a chance and try be smart and especially on All Ireland Final day's you are going to end up with you child on your lap for the whole game.

Bottom of the article;

In rugby, the IRFU have a policy that children under the age of two do not need a ticket to attend games at the Aviva Stadium.

So this all about money for the GAA. Nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Airlines have the right idea, any child over 2 needs a seat. If you take a chance and try be smart and especially on All Ireland Final day's you are going to end up with you child on your lap for the whole game.

Bottom of the article;

In rugby, the IRFU have a policy that children under the age of two do not need a ticket to attend games at the Aviva Stadium.

So this all about money for the GAA. Nothing else.

Bingo.

Utterly disgraceful carry on by this so called mother, wanting to lead a relatively normal life with her child. She should be locked up in the Home For Bad Mothers and a strap taken to her, like the good old days when de wimmen were not seen and not heard. That'll soften her cough...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bingo.

Utterly disgraceful carry on by this so called mother, wanting to lead a relatively normal life with her child. She should be locked up in the Home For Bad Mothers and a strap taken to her, like the good old days when de wimmen were not seen and not heard. That'll soften her cough...:rolleyes:

In one. The GAA are the only org I have now seen bring this ruling in. Ironically its the only stage of the full years program now, so if its legally challenged it will be thrown out.
    Soccer, Rugby at any stadium through out this country and many more.

I actually brought my son to a Mayo match on Sunday, he was probably only 5-6 weeks old, my wife had him all week when I was away working. So I wanted to bring him with me as I hadn't seen him and I wanted to give her a break.

So tell me, what if a father wants to go to the game, is a season ticket holder and has full attendance at all the games, has no relations to mind the child as they are all fans and will be there also and his wife is working and he has to bring his child..... whats your caveman view on that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Brought all our children to games when my wife was breast feeding.

The notion that "sure can't she express" is too simplified, all situations are different.
    If we could have left them at home we would have.

Never had a problem paying for an extra ticket either.
    That's the rules then that's the rules
    It makes sense.

Small babies sleep a lot and are oblivious to noise around them.

If a baby is uncomfortable in the surroundings of the seats then any good patents would take them out to the concourse to settle them, for the babies sake and for the sake of other patrons.

Stopped bringing the kids when they were toddlers as they are too active at that stage and won't stay settled in the seat, but as they grew up and got an interest in the game they started coming again.

This type of story appears this time every year when someone has the necessity to bring a baby and does not know they need a ticket.

Brought all our children to games when my wife was breast feeding.

The notion that "sure can't she express" is too simplified, all situations are different.
    If we could have left them at home we would have.

Never had a problem paying for an extra ticket either.
    That's the rules then that's the rules
    It makes sense.

Small babies sleep a lot and are oblivious to noise around them.

If a baby is uncomfortable in the surroundings of the seats then any good patents would take them out to the concourse to settle them, for the babies sake and for the sake of other patrons.

Stopped bringing the kids when they were toddlers as they are too active at that stage and won't stay settled in the seat, but as they grew up and got an interest in the game they started coming again.

This type of story appears this time every year when someone has the necessity to bring a baby and does not know they need a ticket.

Babys weren't required to have a ticket until this year. Thats the big issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    Babys weren't required to have a ticket until this year. Thats the big issue here.

Oh they absolutely were.

We had to get a ticket for our eldest way back in 2007 when she was a few months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

yop wrote: »
    Is this 1940..... Hoping lads are pulling the pi$$ on these posts, otherwise lads you really need to get out more.

I was thinking the same thing, if she wants to bring her child to the match it's her own business and GAA charging 80 quid for a 'seat' that isn't a 'seat' is a load of bollix and she s right to call them out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

This came up recently with my brother and his 4yo who likes to go to matches with him.
    Going down to Semple Stadium he went to buy a ticket and found out children under 5 (I think but could be 7) were free in. This was a championship match.
    Then we’re going to the Kildare v Mayo U-20 final, same day as Dubs v Rossies and he’s told at the turn stiles he needs a ticket for H&S reasons.
    Now the ticket was only €5 and I could buy it on my phone immediately so it wasn’t an issue.
    But how is it one rule for Semple and one for Croker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

As I can see it the issue isn't breastfeeding, rather it's health and safety. A crowded stadium is not an appropriate place for a 16 week old baby, whether it's strapped to its mother or not.

The faux outrage is symptomatic of modern society. A child is far more precious than a bloody game and putting it in a situation where the risk of injury is heightened is not just irresponsible, it's downright selfish. What if the day is a scorcher? Or it pisses out of the heavens.

If the GAA are to be ridiculed over anything here it's that they allow children enter the ground at such a young age in the first place. There's a big difference between bringing an infant to a local club match with a couple of hundred spectators and bringing them to Croke Park on All Ireland final day.

This is not a women's rights issue. The GAA are not some malevolent agent of the patriarchy secretly working to suppress gender equality. Parents make sacrifices. It's that simple. The child's well-being supersedes the parents desire to treat them as an accessory on All Ireland final and parade them around social media in their replica jerseys.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

In the past I brought my 3month old daughter to matches in cussack Park in ennis both league and championship and no problems.

Regarding the noise, we have baby earmuffs for loud situations.

I bought them in London years ago but I heard someone saying Argos sell them now.

• Advertisement

Well there's a pretty simple answer if that's the case

Advertisement