Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Waterfords roads and streets gone to hell?

• 10-08-2018 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

The whole town seems to be made up of crumbling surfaces, subsidence and general lack of maintenance - the Tramore Road from Lidl to the old ESSO site is literally sinking on the Smyths side. Pearce Park is a patchwork of crazy paving cracks with shallow dips as the top layer has come away. Plenty other examples esp Bunkers Hill which is now a bone shaker going up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Think you need to look at your suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cactus jacks

The whole town seems to be made up of crumbling surfaces, subsidence and general lack of maintenance - the Tramore Road from Lidl to the old ESSO site is literally sinking on the Smyths side. Pearce Park is a patchwork of crazy paving cracks with shallow dips as the top layer has come away. Plenty other examples esp Bunkers Hill which is now a bone shaker going up.

Yeah I agree, parts of the city are extremely run down and it's a shame to see it. The newly paved areas look great, but streets outside of these areas just seem to have been left to decay. Some of the roads and footpaths around town are in some state and it must give a really bad impression of the city to visitors. However, I do think great work has been done in some areas in the last few years that has made a massive difference and hopefully the next phases of the the urban renewal scheme as well as the north quays/Micheal st. development will make another huge improvement to the city centre.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/forward-planning/Waterford%20City%20Centre%20Urban%20Renewal%20-%20Drawings.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭BBM77

Have to say I agree. The council have questions to answer on the general maintenance of the city. There are huge weeds growing just as you turn left of the bridge down the quay. They must have been there for years to get that big. A lot of roads need resurfacing. Could never understand how roads are chosen for resurfacing. Roads with nothing wrong with them get resurfaced yet roads that are in bits are left untouched!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

A lot of roads need resurfacing. Could never understand how roads are chosen for resurfacing. Roads with nothing wrong with them get resurfaced yet roads that are in bits are left untouched![/QUOTE]

Totally agree, resurfacing perfectly good sections of the Tramore road with chippings a few months back while other roads in the region are in terrible condition. Hard to understand the rational behind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

A lot of roads need resurfacing. Could never understand how roads are chosen for resurfacing. Roads with nothing wrong with them get resurfaced yet roads that are in bits are left untouched!

Totally agree, resurfacing perfectly good sections of the Tramore road with chippings a few months back while other roads in the region are in terrible condition. Hard to understand the rational behind that.[/QUOTE]

the wonderful world of politics can enlighten the rational for such activities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Yes .

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Since the vintners started closing off john street ,traffic has diverted to convent hill and browns lane both are crumbling away to 3rd world conditions, johnny walkers side of mayors walk is a cowpath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Since the vintners started closing off john street ,traffic has diverted to convent hill and browns lane both are crumbling away to 3rd world conditions, johnny walkers side of mayors walk is a cowpath

Hardly the vintners fault that the roads can't take extra traffic. Sure if that's the case have no traffic on any roads and they would all be in perfect condition. It's the councils fault if roads/footpaths aren't up to the scratch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just a bump for this moan thread - Bunkers hill bottom half has been done, beautifully smooth now - the top half needs doing next. Speaking of which there has been a leak at the top on the leftside as you go up that has been there for as long as I can remember. Lord knows how many thousands of litres has been wasted there this year.

Also done is lower Ballytruckle by the junction for Polberry - there was a dip about 1 foot deep as you turn now gone.

So credit where it's due and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

Just a bump for this moan thread - Bunkers hill bottom half has been done, beautifully smooth now - the top half needs doing next. Speaking of which there has been a leak at the top on the leftside as you go up that has been there for as long as I can remember. Lord knows how many thousands of litres has been wasted there this year.

Also done is lower Ballytruckle by the junction for Polberry - there was a dip about 1 foot deep as you turn now gone.

So credit where it's due and all that.

I'll sleep sound tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

dzilla wrote: »
    I'll sleep sound tonight.

Under a bridge with the other trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Under a bridge with the other trolls.

Hope they have a fresh lick of tarmac on it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Just a bump for this moan thread - Bunkers hill bottom half has been done, beautifully smooth now - the top half needs doing next. .

Won't they be turning the top half of Bunkers Hill into a one way system soon, so they'll probably wait until thats in place.

Also good to see a lot of resurfacing done around Thomas Street, Meetinghouse Lane, and Barker Street - mainly known as the road you use to park in behind McDonalds and Book centre. Or always known as the Darrers car park in my household.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

They should do something with that "Darrers Carpark" I always thought it would make a great place to put a market. Seems such a waste of a fantastic space.

Winter bump! A nice collection of quite deep bits have just popped up out of the old Tramore Road along by Kilcohan/Avondale, Pearce Park continues to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Winter bump! A nice collection of quite deep bits have just popped up out of the old Tramore Road along by Kilcohan/Avondale, Pearce Park continues to get worse.

Wasn't Halligan to the fore yesterday when funding was granted to improve Waterford's roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

I've noticed a bad bump at the roundabout outside the cove bar if you take the outside lane to go up the hill and out the Dunmore road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭jelutong

Morrison’s Road is a disgrace. At a guess I’d say Utility Companies are the main offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The little walkway from Odeon in poleberry/ TK maxx up towards the old Dignity (Gradys Yard) is looking awful.

Ever since costa is gone from odeon that little waterside walkway is looking awful. Rubbish and vomit everywhere there today. Could do with a scrub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The little walkway from Odeon in poleberry/ TK maxx up towards the old Dignity (Gradys Yard) is looking awful.

Ever since costa is gone from odeon that little waterside walkway is looking awful. Rubbish and vomit everywhere there today. Could do with a scrub

They tore up the wooden planks there and put some horrible tarmac down. Was destroyed a few days after been put down, and now just looks so grubby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Some of the slabs are busted and there's a huge puddle about a foot deep between the two buildings as you walk towards the train park. The whole are is depressingly ugly and seems nothing will be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

They are not improved by the filthy littering habits of many Waterford people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

gscully wrote: »
    Wasn't Halligan to the fore yesterday when funding was granted to improve Waterford's roads?

John should have been out personally all over xmas fixing those pot holes for you. how dare he not do it for ME!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Azatadine

That section down Bilberry is atrocious. Apart from the awful one way system, the road is in tatters as well. I cant understand how that section leading directly from the city to the greenway is left in such poor condition as tourists probably use it and it does not leave a good impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Mayors walk has to be the worst road in town anyone who drives it will know what im talking about from Barracks street side down to mordants its disgraceful,also doyles street morrisons road are really bad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Mayors walk has to be the worst road in town anyone who drives it will know what im talking about from Barracks street side down to mordants its disgraceful,also doyles street morrisons road are really bad too.

#Cowpath

That whole section needs proper scrape and resurface.

Something I've noticed is the number of pipe works that cross roads which have broken up in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

The Quay and its sinking manhole covers near the clock tower. I know it's a heavily trafficked route but they need to move the existing manholes either to the footpath or the central island if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

skodacb wrote:
    The Quay and its sinking manhole covers near the clock tower. I know it's a heavily trafficked route but they need to move the existing manholes either to the footpath or the central island if possible.

I'd imagine that's not exactly a simple job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The stretch of road from the Golden Fry to Butler Community Centre has to be the most neglected section of road in Ireland, been like that for at least 15 year. You'd need a Polaris Rampage to navigate it.

Advertisement