Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland football final 2nd September 2018 - MOD NOTE POST #1 #1187 UPDATED

• 12-08-2018 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

So lads and lasses we may as well move away from semi final thread to a final thread.

Dublin V Tyrone

I think it has the potential to be a Dublin steam train if Tyrone do not implement the correct plan of action. As of yet Dublin haven’t kicked on, I think we will see 1 2 more tweaks to a final team but my prediction is Dublin by 4 or more.

Mod Note: Just a friendly warning, any abuse (of other posters, players and managers) will be met with a ban until after the game.
    Any trolling or deliberately winding up other fans will be met with the same sanction.
    Report any offending posts. If you react to abuse/trolling with abuse, you'll also be banned.
    This is your first and final warning.

Who will be crowned 2018 All Ireland Senior Football Champions? 190 votes

Dublin
    0% 0 votes
    Tyrone
    100% 190 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Just announce the Dubs as the winners now.

Save Tyrone the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

Watching Dublin all year they just look in cruise mode and it looks like no matter what a team throws at them they will have an answer. Even yesterday, Galway looked in the game at half time but Dublin came out, kicked it up a notch for a few minutes, rattled off a few points without reply and that was that.

Dublin are the only team recently that have 3 or 4 plans for a game if the one they're using isn't working. Pains me to say it but they're bloody fantastic to watch. They'll stroll past Tyrone and win the 4 in a row without doubt. Next year will be the biggest test, the holy grail of 5 in a row. I just hope whatever county plays them in next year's final has a Seamus Darby character waiting in the long grass.

Dublin to win this year by at least 5 points and Tyrone will be happy to gave acquitted themselves pretty well all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Dublin by 6 or more. Only complacency will stop this Dublin team from making history. Jim will make sure they won't be.COYBIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

Can't imagine there will be any trouble getting tickets for this one....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭threeball

Can't imagine there will be any trouble getting tickets for this one....

There'll be plenty of space round the tv's too. It'll be the least watched final in decades I'd imagine. Even dyed in the wool gaa fans won't be bothered if they miss this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kala85

The only thing is Tyrone Dublin semi final last year had an attendance of 82300, and traditionally you have a few thousand from non competing counties at an all Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm originally from Tyrone and to be honest I'm not bothered going to the final.
    The dubs are a class act and well above any team from any county.
    They'll win the final handy enough. Their scoring percentage is phenomenal. Tyrone kick too many wides or short dropped kicks. Not good enough.
    I'd love to see the 2005 tyrone team against this dublin team!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,328 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

threeball wrote: »
    There'll be plenty of space round the tv's too. It'll be the least watched final in decades I'd imagine. Even dyed in the wool gaa fans won't be bothered if they miss this one.

RTE have not published their advertising charges for September yet, at least that I can find. But this month they were charging €11,000 for a 30 second advertising spot during the football semi finals. 30 seconds during the hurling final will cost you €35,000. From memory the football final was more expensive in previous years, so it will be interesting to see if your speculation will be matched by a reduction in advertising charges.

The ads during big GAA broadcasts are very expensive compared to most of the other TV output.

https://mediasales.rte.ie/planning/

RTE have not published their advertising charges for September yet, at least that I can find. But this month they were charging €11,000 for a 30 second advertising spot during the football semi finals. 30 seconds during the hurling final will cost you €35,000. From memory the football final was more expensive in previous years, so it will be interesting to see if your speculation will be matched by a reduction in advertising charges.

The ads during big GAA broadcasts are very expensive compared to most of the other TV output.

https://mediasales.rte.ie/planning/

I would imagine that figure would be based on past viewing figures which nearly always favours the football to the tune of 250k plus but I don't see that happening this year. The hurling is set up to be a dinger.

I've never seen people before say they wouldn't be watching the football final but there's alot this year. Normally I'd crawl over hot coals to watch it but this year I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't see it. It holds about the same appeal as the charity shield.

I would imagine that figure would be based on past viewing figures which nearly always favours the football to the tune of 250k plus but I don't see that happening this year. The hurling is set up to be a dinger.

I've never seen people before say they wouldn't be watching the football final but there's alot this year. Normally I'd crawl over hot coals to watch it but this year I wouldn't be bothered if I didn't see it. It holds about the same appeal as the charity shield.

With Kilkenny winning 11 and losing 3 of the 18 hurling finals this century, that should have resulted in a total turn off for potential audiences. Dublin have won 5 out of the 5 finals they contested in the football, so I think a bit too much is being made of their supposed dominance.

• Advertisement

With Kilkenny winning 11 and losing 3 of the 18 hurling finals this century, that should have resulted in a total turn off for potential audiences. Dublin have won 5 out of the 5 finals they contested in the football, so I think a bit too much is being made of their supposed dominance.

In general the hurling has always been competitive and exciting though. Kk didn't run away with semis and finals. Many times they came from behind with a blitz when dead and buried. That's not the case with Dublin. Only Mayo have put it up to them and this year no one has. Football in general has been very poor and people are switching off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

One things for sure. There will be plenty of Tyrone supporters at this.

Next thing they won't give up when they are 2 points down either.

There were hardly any Galway supporters there yesterday considering they'd a minor game too.
    They were not expecting to win, their eyes are on the hurlers.
    Galway are not great imo. They've some good footballers but they peak far too early, IMO most would agree that a peaking Mayo would beat them.

The difference between playing Mayo at full tilt and Galway at fill tilt is huge

I think they are building, did well in the league, beat Mayo early again and have the hurling to look forward too.

Secondly the super 8 has been poor imo.

In Dublin's group, first game at half time Donegal decided everything would go down to beating Tyrone at home

Galway were terrible last week. All the games came too quickly, nobody could commit to going to the games the whole momentum of the competition was gone.

No games for ages then 4 in one go a load of rubbish.

One good thing for Dublin was getting to play Tyrone away.
    As for the extra game against Roscommon it was a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Stoner wrote: »

I dunno - a good few Dublin lads got a run out and a chance to show what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

One things for sure. There will be plenty of Tyrone supporters at this.

Next thing they won't give up when they are 2 points down either.

There were hardly any Galway supporters there yesterday considering they'd a minor game too.
    They were not expecting to win, their eyes are on the hurlers.
    Galway are not great imo. They've some good footballers but they peak far too early, IMO most would agree that a peaking Mayo would beat them.

The difference between playing Mayo at full tilt and Galway at fill tilt is huge

I think they are building, did well in the league, beat Mayo early again and have the hurling to look forward too.

Secondly the super 8 has been poor imo.

In Dublin's group, first game at half time Donegal decided everything would go down to beating Tyrone at home

Galway were terrible last week. All the games came too quickly, nobody could commit to going to the games the whole momentum of the competition was gone.

No games for ages then 4 in one go a load of rubbish.

One good thing for Dublin was getting to play Tyrone away.

Dublin will not be troubled by the strongest Tyrone team. They simply won’t be strong, quick or athletic enough to compete.

Dublin are a different beast that’s the reality, Tyrone are very wasteful when transitioning play, loose balls and the likes, and the amounts of wides they kick is unreal. Niall S is the only bonus for them in forwards if Philly McMahon starts he will point well of philly as their styles don’t clash well. Philly is a runner and Niall wouldn’t be led on the March by philly. Hopefully mick fitz should be back in for the final.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ace2007 wrote:
    I dunno - a good few Dublin lads got a run out and a chance to show what they can do.

I don't know, that's what the O'Byrne cup game if for IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭WanderlustIre

Can’t blood players in O Byrne cup then not see them till champo.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

In general the hurling has always been competitive and exciting though. Kk didn't run away with semis and finals. Many times they came from behind with a blitz when dead and buried. That's not the case with Dublin. Only Mayo have put it up to them and this year no one has. Football in general has been very poor and people are switching off.

Ah now, Kilkenny ran away with plenty of games and it certainly wasn't always competitive. Remember the 2008 final? Kilkenny 3-30 Waterford 1-13. Perhaps Dublin will do something liek that this year, but so far their fianls have ended with tight margins - and it's untrue to say that it was just Mayo putting it up to them. Looking at the scorelines, in 2015 they beat Kerry by 3 points. 2016 they beat Kerry by 2 points in the semi-final and the final against Mayo was a one-point win in a replay. 2017 another 1-point win. Hardly "running away" with finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Stoner wrote:

As it turned out, the Super 8s were perfect for Dublin in the sense that it let Gavin give supposed fringe or squad players a chance to stretch their legs against the Rossies.

Agus wrote: »
    Ah now, Kilkenny ran away with plenty of games and it certainly wasn't always competitive. Remember the 2008 final? Kilkenny 3-30 Waterford 1-13. Perhaps Dublin will do something liek that this year, but so far their fianls have ended with tight margins - and it's untrue to say that it was just Mayo putting it up to them. Looking at the scorelines, in 2015 they beat Kerry by 3 points. 2016 they beat Kerry by 2 points in the semi-final and the final against Mayo was a one-point win in a replay. 2017 another 1-point win. Hardly "running away" with finals.

The Waterford game was the exception. Of course any team that wins that many all Irelands will win a few games by a cricket score but there was never the sense of inevitability surrounding kk winning an all Ireland as there is about Dublin right now. Games were generally exciting.

That Waterford team sh1t their pants on the same day kk hit peak form. It was the perfect storm. Waterford were a brilliant team at the time it just went horribly wrong.

The Waterford game was the exception. Of course any team that wins that many all Irelands will win a few games by a cricket score but there was never the sense of inevitability surrounding kk winning an all Ireland as there is about Dublin right now. Games were generally exciting.

That Waterford team sh1t their pants on the same day kk hit peak form. It was the perfect storm. Waterford were a brilliant team at the time it just went horribly wrong.

There is a sense of inevitability surrounding the outcome of many sporting events e.g. the Munster Football Championship or the Bundesliga. But that has not diminished interest in the competitions over the years. Dublin never even reached an All Ireland Football Final in the years 1996 to 2010, so this recent success is not guaranteed to continue. And has been pointed out, they are not running away with AI Finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭corny

They simply won’t be strong, quick or athletic enough to compete.

I'd disagree with that. I think Dublin are marginally better physically but its not much.

The big problem for Tyrone is their manager. He's obsessed with defending and stopping the opposition. Even today against Monaghan, arguably an inferior team skill wise, he conceded possession and territory for the sake of the defensive plan. Taking the game to the opposition just doesn't occur to him.

Thats what Tyrone need to do. 15 men behind the ball won't stop Dublin putting up a score (as evidenced by last years game). You can get at their backs if you have conviction and try to take the game to them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dublin to win by at least 5.

They have the advantage in every area of the pitch and a better coaching team.

There is a sense of inevitability surrounding the outcome of many sporting events e.g. the Munster Football Championship or the Bundesliga. But that has not diminished interest in the competitions over the years. Dublin never even reached an All Ireland Football Final in the years 1996 to 2010, so this recent success is not guaranteed to continue. And has been pointed out, they are not running away with AI Finals.

I'm sorry but it's pretty much guaranteed to continue. Unless the Dublin county board get completely lax and start neglecting underage, which given the funding available to them is unlikely to happen, then you may get a odd winner but Dublin will win at least 6 of the next 10 all irelands and i would say more.
    Even the dubs will be sick of it at that stage. Kk supporters didn't give fcuk from 2011 onwards and ye won't either.

corny wrote:
    I'd disagree with that. I think Dublin are marginally better physically but its not much.

I'd tend to agree with you, in some areas Tyrone might even be better conditioned

From 2013 to 2017 Dublin won AI finals not based on fittness, the Dublin squad were bunched in 2013

It's won out against Kerry, but has been matched by Donegal and consistently by Mayo

Since 2010 Dublin have handled Tyrone but showing up some of the limitations in their game. Yes there were some old soliders in the 2010/11 team but Tyrone fixed that a few years ago.

Tyrone ran out of ideas last year not juice.

They'd plenty of juice and subs in Omagh just not enough ideas, however they are changing things up.

Tyrone are doing exactly what many say they need to do. Stay with Dublin and manage the momentum of the game before trying something different

• Registered Users Posts: 66,305 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

20 minutes to go Tyrone will be within 3 - and then we will see what Gavin and Harte are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Tyrone are a really fit and athletic team, Dublin have no advantage there really. Dublin have better footballers and the best management setup in the history of the game, barring a disaster like an early sending off they’ll probably win by at least 3-4 points.

I think the two best teams have reached the final and hopefully we’ll get a cracker after an underwhelming championship. I think the closeness of the games has really hit attendances, playing in half full CP looks dreadful. There needs to be two weeks between the rounds in future.

Best of luck to both teams in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

20 minutes to go Tyrone will be within 3 - and then we will see what Gavin and Harte are made of.

Plenty of times teams have been level with Dublin going into stoppage time and Dublin have got the job done, being within 3 with 20 minutes to go is not a unique situation where Gavin has to “show what he’s made of” that’s been done already by Gavin on a number of occasions!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,305 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Plenty of times teams have been level with Dublin going into stoppage time and Dublin have got the job done, being within 3 with 20 minutes to go is not a unique situation where Gavin has to “show what he’s made of” that’s been done already by Gavin on a number of occasions!

And?

This is 2018 and if it happens that Tyrone are thereabouts the 'past' don't matter a damn. We beat them already this year and it didn't matter today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Dublin to win by 6 or more I think. just superior in most areas of the pitch vs a fairly average Tyrone team.
    I give Tyrone no chance. if there is to be a somewhat surprising result I think it's more likely to be that dubs win by 12+ instead of the expected 6 ish.
    hard game for the neutral to pick a team to favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

And?

This is 2018 and if it happens that Tyrone are thereabouts the 'past' don't matter a damn. We beat them already this year and it didn't matter today.

And? My point is Gavin has shown what he’s made of plenty of times, it’s not a yet to be seen situation what he’s made of, we already know regardless of what the outcome is in 3 weeks.

Advertisement