Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Psychotherapy and Counselling Course

• 14-09-2017 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I am planning to join a university course in psychotherapy and I have a couple of options:

Either I can take a BA(Hons) (4yrs) at PCI or I can apply at DBs and
    get an Higher Diploma in 2yrs (level 8) + Master Degree (Level 9) in 2 yrs, for a total of 4 yrs.
    However the BA (Horns) is ICAP approved, while the other two are not formally approved by any organization.
    In addition the Higher Diploma + Master requires me to do 250 hrs of personal therapy, probably to comply with the IAHIP standard. This would amount to 15,000 Euros cost. This as opposed to 50hrs requirements of the ICAP.
    I was wondering if any of you can give me an advice and highlight something I am missing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

What did you decide to do? I'm starting hdip in Counselling and Psychotherapy in September in dbs

• Registered Users Posts: 5 arguros

Hi,

I am at DBs same course 2nd year. It's very good.

Are you doing the hdip? Are they strict on attendance?

Yes they are strict on attendance

OK. And is the work load much? Did you find it a tough year? Also the course is formally accredited by Iahip, correct? Have you any advice for me for year? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

CWF wrote: »
    OK. And is the work load much? Did you find it a tough year? Also the course is formally accredited by Iahip, correct? Have you any advice for me for year? Thanks

A hdip does not meet the requirements of any accreditation body to practice as a counsellor

Yeah sorry I know, my bad. Do you do the course too?

dar100 wrote: »
    A hdip does not meet the requirements of any accreditation body to practice as a counsellor

DBs HDip plus the master in psychotherapy meet the requirements for iahip.
    It's a good course. You will need to study.

arguros wrote: »
    dar100 wrote: »

DBs HDip plus the master in psychotherapy meet the requirements for iahip.
    It's a good course. You will need to study.
    Thanks. Any other advice for me?

That'll all from me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Embrace personal therapy

Great, thanks. You've to do one session per week I belive throughout the duration of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I am interested in pursuing a course in psychotherapy.

It would have to be part-time and Dublin-based.

I have a BA in psychology and philosophy from a long time ago (I’m 58) as well as a degree in history of art and two arts-related master’s degrees.

I am interested in the area of art and psychotherapy. But, I would also like to keep my options open as regarding a career change and practicing psychotherapy.

I am intrigued by this course
    http://www.ucd.ie/medicine/studywithus/graduatestudies/psychotherapy/mscpsychoanalyticpsychotherapy/

...although the cost is a little daunting.

I would only be interested in something that is fully accredited.

What are my options?

Many thanks.

D.

That's only a two year course so you'd have to apply separately to the iacp or the iahip. To be accredited by them you need 4 years study

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

That's only a two year course so you'd have to apply separately to the iacp or the iahip. To be accredited by them you need 4 years study

Thanks.

Wondering if my psychology degree is worth anything in terms of credits.

D.

Check online with those two bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭sadie9

If you haven't previously had experience of counselling, a good place to start is a Foundation in Counselling Skills. So you get a proper idea of what's involved before committing to something very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks.

Wondering if my psychology degree is worth anything in terms of credits.

D.

It allows you to skip the certificate / foundation course in colleges that require that. E.g. PCI and iicp

You could also use your psych degree to skip the counselling degree completely and do a post graduate diploma in counselling. One of our lecturers took that route. This might be more difficult for someone whose psych qualification is older? Don't know.

Advertisement