Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi Finals

• 09-08-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭

Do I have to do everything for ye ?

Saturday Galway v Dublin
    Sunday Monaghan v Tyrone

Really can’t see Galway getting within shouting distance of Dublin, Dublin may play around with them for a while but I don’t see where Galway have the ability to beat them.

Which makes there shocking performance v Monaghan last Saturday all the more surprising.

Did they really go into it thinking meeting Dublin in a Sf was better than meeting Tyrone or Donegal ?

Or are they just what we all thought they were, a team that have toughened up since last year but still a long way from being a contender.

Not sure who will win Sunday’s match. Hope Monaghan do but no idea who will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Really can’t see Galway getting within shouting distance of Dublin, Dublin may play around with them for a while but I don’t see where Galway have the ability to beat them.

Which makes there shocking performance v Monaghan last Saturday all the more surprising.

Did they really go into it thinking meeting Dublin in a Sf was better than meeting Tyrone or Donegal ?

Or are they just what we all thought they were, a team that have toughened up since last year but still a long way from being a contender.

I don't think Galway threw the game or anything, but they were at nowhere near the same pitch of intensity that they've been playing at for the past few months last Saturday. I've no doubt that the fact they didn't need a result to qualify was a factor and, against a good team 100% clued in and fighting for survival, if you're only going at 80% you can be made look very silly.

It was very disappointing from a Galway point of view, but I reckon the other 13 matches this year are a better indicator for where Galway are at this year. I feel that the criticism of last weekend has been a bit much; GAA fans can have very short memories.

In saying all that, Dublin are rightfully hot favourites. I don't think an upset is impossible, but I'll be watching in supportive hope rather than expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

My predictions

Galway V Dublin

I certainly don’t think this will be as one sided as people think. Last week was strange. Galway were through. We don’t know what mindset that they would have had. For we could know, it was 3 weeks of training for Dublin. I played in a game before - we were already in a semi but the other team needed a win to stay up. In the back of your head, you know not to kill your self and the the other teams greater will to win can just be to much for you on the day. Galway are rank outsiders Sunday- Dublin are red hot favorites (aka 2014) can Galway win? They’ll stick with Dublin for a long time. They need to get comer and Walsh and Burke on the ball time and time again. Run at Dublin like donegal and Tyrone did already this year. It certainly caused problems. We know curtailing the kickouts is a problem but Dublin no matter what will find there man at some point. They will score due to pure talent and they’ll never find themselves in big trouble during a game due to what they are.

Paul Conroy is a serious loss for Galway as well. So I’d expect Dublin to win the middle. I think Dublin’s grater firepower and skill set will see go them through. The have been labored at times this year but the influence of 2-3 players on their team has kept them a leg above the rest. They are so good at just tipping along and then hitting a 5 minute spell that can kill a game. I’d say we will see a few changes maybe Costello in for con. We know what bench they have.

This game will be niggly. It was a big rivalry once upon a time and the game in 83 it was rough. Just look at the league games this year as well.

Dublin’s expierence and craft to see them by 4-5 points but expect a big Galway show. (Being Rank outsiders will suit them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

elefant wrote: »

It was very disappointing from a Galway point of view, but I reckon the other 13 matches this year are a better indicator for where Galway are at this year. I feel that the criticism of last weekend has been a bit much; GAA fans can have very short memories.

In saying all that, Dublin are rightfully hot favourites. I don't think an upset is impossible, but I'll be watching in supportive hope rather than expectation.

Galway were very ordinary against Mayo and Roscommon also though (who were both not near the level of super 8 Monaghan). I admittedly didn't see the full Kerry game so can't comment on that. That said grinding out any sort of win against Mayo is a huge plus for them, so its probably harsh to read too much into that display from a footballing POV

But it does remain to be seen was Saturday a match where they were simply outclassed and a result that has been "coming", or was it a case that subconsciously they didn't give it 100%, afraid of risking injuries, suspensions etc. and coming up against a team that needed to win.
    The truth may lie somewhere in the middle?

That said I do think they'll raise it this Saturday but no matter what happens I can't look past a Dublin win regardless. I just can't see where Galway can really hurt them. I've a bad feeling some players in that Galway side could be really made look ordinary against this Dublin team. When it comes down to it, I'm not convinced Galway have 15 quality players in their side, they're a few short of the complete team for me

It'll be fascinating to see the Dublin line up. EOG MOTM last week and mightn't even get a game, what a squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

C__MC wrote: »
    Galway are rank outsiders Sunday- Dublin are red hot favorites (aka 2014) can Galway win?

2014 is cited pretty much anytime Dublin play a knockout game nowadays

One freakish enough game were they were a Connolly sitter from probably winning pulling up, and from which they have clearly learned so much in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

jr86 wrote: »
    Galway were very ordinary against Mayo and Roscommon also though (who were both not near the level of super 8 Monaghan). I admittedly didn't see the full Kerry game so can't comment on that. That said grinding out any sort of win against Mayo is a huge plus for them, so its probably harsh to read too much into that display from a footballing POV

But it does remain to be seen was Saturday a match where they were simply outclassed and a result that has been "coming", or was it a case that subconsciously they didn't give it 100%, afraid of risking injuries, suspensions etc. and coming up against a team that needed to win.
    The truth may lie somewhere in the middle?

My main fear for Galway, in terms of their own performance, would be that being on the go and winning since January might be wearing them down. I have no doubts whatsoever about them in terms of their footballing ability; they fully deserve to be in the semi-finals. Galway have beaten every single division 1 team (bar Dublin) this year at least once, and the division 2 winners too.

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest the result last weekend had been coming, when it's the only the second game they've lost all year and in a very different set of circumstance to all previous games, where they needed to win.

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    2014 is cited pretty much anytime Dublin play a knockout game nowadays

One freakish enough game were they were a Connolly sitter from probably winning pulling up, and from which they have clearly learned so much in the meantime

I would disagree. On Saturday, Id say Dublin will be red hot favorites first the first time in at this stage since 2014

Last year: Favorites to beat Tyrone but everyone expected a game
    2016: it was probably 60-40 dublin against kerry
    2015: Same as 2016 when they played mayo in a semi
    2014: donegal were 25-1 to beat dublin at one stage-

what are galway saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

elefant wrote: »

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest the result last weekend had been coming, when it's the only the second game they've lost all year and in a very different set of circumstance to all previous games, where they needed to win.

The old saying you are only as good as your last game still rings true though. The Galway and Monaghan game reminded me of last year's Connacht final and the first half of this year's. If you get a run on Galway they tend to stop their pressing game and retreat further and further back allowing the opposition control possession.

Galway played excellently in league final for 60 minutes matching Dublin's intensity and athletism. I don't think Dublin are playing at the same level they have been last few years so it might be closer than people think. I think ultimately it comes down to whether or not Walsh and Comer have great games. Comer has had a subdued championship and Walsh hasn't replicated his Connacht final display but it's all about what happens on the day.

The other game is very interesting. Monaghan probably didn't want to meet Tyrone again this year. Beating a traditionally bigger rival twice in one year in the championship in tough and Tyrone have beaten Monaghan twice in recent years at Croke Park so that will be at the back of everyone's mind.

This will be both teams seventh championship match in eight weeks which is incredible in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Galway's first All Ireland semi final for 17 years with a mostly young team I think its a bit early to class them as All Ireland contenders yet. If they are as competitive as they were in the league final they will be happy with the progress they made this year. Monaghan v Tyrone Ulster championship game in May was one of the games of the year but i have a feeling on Sunday it will be more of dogfight game. All neutrals will be hoping Monaghan will win but I think like their last two Croke Park meetings Tyrone will win again.

Monaghan v Tyrone

Difficult game to call this. It’s new rivalry from the one between 2013-15. I often felt Tyrone had the beating in those two games of Monaghan due to the fact it was still a Monaghan team made up of Bantys mc eneaneys team from 2005-10 which suffered big time at the hands of Tyrone. Of course Tyrone during 2013-15 had a lot of all Ireland winners in term team as well. Monaghan are now a new team as are Tyrone.

As for Sunday, Monaghan look like the form team of the super eights. But But, how do we rank the Kerry game- given the problems Kerry had- where was Galway mind at last week? Do they need Kieran Hughes and another forward to dig them out Sunday? How will they cope with the big spaces of Croker?

And of course Tyrone have problems to - a poor enough first 15- lack of marquee forwards - vulnerable enough full back line- loss in form of top players in Donnelly and Harte.

It’s going to be a nail biter and it will come down to the team with better composure on the big moments (Monaghan did this may- Tyrone last Sunday) reading this week- about 5 Monaghan players have spoke about how great it is to be in a semi- the Tyrone camp seems to be more reserved. Obviously as it is there 2nd straight semi. Both teams are masters at Kickouts and transefering defense to attack swiftly. Can Tyrone get a 3rd straight performance from
    There bench? It might not always work,

But I just feel - Monaghan might rely on need mc manus while Tyrone have a greater spread- Tyrone forwards are functional but can chip in- Tyrone by two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭doc_17

Dublin should have too much for Galway. I think they’ll win by 6/7 points.

Throne Monaghan is harder to call. If the referee does his job properly Monaghan will have a chance. But if what Throne got away with last Sunday is allowed to continue and McManus is targeted illegally then I’d expect Throne.

Should be two great watches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

doc_17 wrote: »
    But if what Throne got away with last Sunday is allowed to continue and McManus is targeted illegally then I’d expect Throne.

Ryan McHugh plays for Donegal, not the Throne buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Not sure who will win Sunday’s match. Hope Monaghan do but no idea who will.

As does everyone on boards gaa. Try make a more neutral thread next time. Who has one said in any county thread or the QF thread they want tyrone to win this? They wanted Donegal to beat us last weekend too. You're boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As does everyone on boards gaa. Try make a more neutral thread next time. Who has one said in any county thread or the QF thread they want tyrone to win this? They wanted Donegal to beat us last weekend too. You're boring.

Thanks
    I'll take that on board for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I think Monaghan should and will win this one . (I would ! )
    Monaghan aren’t as reliant on McManus as people assume. Loads of scorers in this team . One thing I think they need to do is to up the goal conversion rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I didn't realise it was Galways first semi final since 2001, I was at that game as a 9 year old, that game was basically the final that year, Derry would have beaten Meath just like they did in the league final 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I didn't realise it was Galways first semi final since 2001, I was at that game as a 9 year old, that game was basically the final that year, Derry would have beaten Meath just like they did in the league final 2000.

Yep it was 2001

And their first championship win in Croke Park since 2001 cam a few weeks ago v Kerry.

Some might argue that that one did not count as much either as it was not a "elimination" game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

cjmc wrote: »
    Monaghan aren’t as reliant on McManus as people assume. Loads of scorers in this team . One thing I think they need to do is to up the goal conversion rate.

You're right they're not. In the past their gameplan revolved around getting the ball into him while the rest were there to defend. These days it revolves around sending runners in the wide channels through the blanket defence and they certainly commit numbers to the attack. Great to watch and its proving difficult to contain. You can see they're well coached.

Hope they do it but i fancy Tyrone might edge them in an attritional game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cjmc wrote: »
    corny wrote: »
    You're right they're not. In the past their gameplan revolved around getting the ball into him while the rest were there to defend. These days it revolves around sending runners in the wide channels through the blanket defence and they certainly commit numbers to the attack. Great to watch and its proving difficult to contain. You can see they're well coached.

Hope they do it but i fancy Tyrone might edge them in an attritional game.

It's an easy one to throw out there for some as it won't be challenged.

It;s clear from how they've oplayed ALL year that they aren't a one man or with Beggan a two-man team.

I think Sunday will be a humdinger. I want a Dublin Tyrone final just for the the absolute chaos it will bring but that being said I have a soft spot for the Farney and alway have.

Will be won by the odd point or a draw. There'll be a piss-hair between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Hard to see Galway beat Dublin. Played a dangerous game by not going for Monaghan full throttle last week. Walsh/Tally will look like geniuses if they pull it off, but I don't see it. They'll improve no doubt, but don't think they'll be able to restrict Dublin enough and I'd have doubts about their ability to score the 20 pts or so needed to beat Dublin by and large.

Tyrone v Monaghan could be a horrible niggly game OR could be a cracker, but either way it should be worth watching. I'd love to see Monaghan win it and I think they can do it. Was really impressed (despite my despair for obvious reasons) at their raising their game in Salthill. That will be a huge boost psychologically for them. It's hard to know with Tyrone. A better team would have had them put away last week I think but they finished the game very strongly and learned a lot too.
    Hard game to call. A draw possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Hard to see Galway beat Dublin.

Looks like you aren't the only one to think that!

DkOzIE9XoAEo-Lx.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

Let’s get real .... hard to see anybody beat Dublin .hot odds on to win there 6th all Ireland In 8 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Should this not be called the super semi finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Yep it was 2001

And their first championship win in Croke Park since 2001 cam a few weeks ago v Kerry.

Some might argue that that one did not count as much either as it was not a "elimination" game.

So by that argument Galway havent beaten mayo in the championship three years in a row???............you have to eliminate them to really win!!!
    Go mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Has anyone any experience parking in the Clonliffe car park on match day? Does it sell out super early?

I always park up by Griffith avenue

Dead on it is - fair walk but good atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

clonliffe car park take you ages to get out of after.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,738 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Tyrone briefly rattled the Dubs, if Galway can do similar and Cluxton ****s a brick like he does under pressure and did against Tyrone then anything can happen in the first game. Picking your moment to apply pressure and being able to keep it applied is the secret against this Dub team. Tyrone were not able to.
    I suspect Galway won't either but who knows, championship football after all.

Not able to call the second game, it is all about attitude. If Monaghan have the right attitude they could beat Tyrone as heavily as they beat Galway. Glad it was Tyrone and not Donegal, they will not want to be beaten again by Tyrone.
    They have beaten all the teams left this season so have nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

Tyrone briefly rattled the Dubs, if Galway can do similar and Cluxton ****s a brick like he does under pressure and did against Tyrone then anything can happen in the first game. Picking your moment to apply pressure and being able to keep it applied is the secret against this Dub team. Tyrone were not able to.
    I suspect Galway won't either but who knows, championship football after all.

Not able to call the second game, it is all about attitude. If Monaghan have the right attitude they could beat Tyrone as heavily as they beat Galway. Glad it was Tyrone and not Donegal, they will not want to be beaten again by Tyrone.
    They have beaten all the teams left this season so have nothing to fear.

Wouldn’t be getting carried away with last week . One team had to win one didn’t and it showed . Having said All that i think Monaghan have good chance of beating Tyrone but no better then 50 50 . I will be suprised if Dublin don’t have 6 plus to spare and I get no pleasure as a Galway man say that

• Registered Users Posts: 66,738 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

spurshero wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be getting carried away with last week . One team had to win one didn’t and it showed . Having said All that i think Monaghan have good chance of beating Tyrone but no better then 50 50 . I will be suprised if Dublin don’t have 6 plus to spare and I get no pleasure as a Galway man say that

Not getting carried away at all. Another aspect of Monaghan is not being convincing two games in a row. I sense a change in them but not convinced yet.

Can't see Galway wanting to end their season with two heavy defeats. Surely they will be up for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭doc_17

A few things about that poster:

1. It’s incredibly insulting and disrespectful to Galway.

2. After taking the time to do it and put it up on the door of your business, you’d think they’d take the time to spell things right.

Assholes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement