Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead Cells

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Been playing the Early Access for months now, quickly wormed its way into my regular schedule. The controls, fighting and pacing are razor sharp, and while it's a rock hard game it also feels empowering when moves and weapon combos roll right. It gets a little repetitive but then that's the games chief conceit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I pre ordered for the switch, hope I like it.

• New one to me, I've not heard of it before but does look right up my street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Been playing the Early Access for months now, quickly wormed its way into my regular schedule. The controls, fighting and pacing are razor sharp, and while it's a rock hard game it also feels empowering when moves and weapon combos roll right. It gets a little repetitive but then that's the games chief conceit.

When you say rock hard, what's a close comparison? I loved guacamelee, Celeste, super meat boy and ori, but never gelled with volgarr or spelunky. This looks awesome but also a bit more chaotic than I usually like

I had it on Steam a few months ago and refunded it. Just your run of the mill Metroidvania type game. Nothing special about it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When you say rock hard, what's a close comparison? I loved guacamelee, Celeste, super meat boy and ori, but never gelled with volgarr or spelunky. This looks awesome but also a bit more chaotic than I usually like

It's punishing ala Celeste, insofar as you can die very easily; even the basic enemies can swarm you and it's not uncommon for a solid run to come crashing to a halt after a couple of bad timings of your roll / block. But it has that sweet spot where failure just encourages you to try again, another combo or skill stacking.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's punishing ala Celeste, insofar as you can die very easily; even the basic enemies can swarm you and it's not uncommon for a solid run to come crashing to a halt after a couple of bad timings of your roll / block. But it has that sweet spot where failure just encourages you to try again, another combo or skill stacking.

My patience (or lack thereof) got the better of me last night and I ended up preordering it to take advantage of the €5 discount.

haven't played it yet, but hopefully will get a chance to do a few runs tonight.

My patience (or lack thereof) got the better of me last night and I ended up preordering it to take advantage of the €5 discount.

haven't played it yet, but hopefully will get a chance to do a few runs tonight.

Well, I needn't have worried, it's right up my street! Combat is fast and fluid and the game just 'feels' right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah i jumped on the wagon and got it, liked the look of it. Despite it being fairly repetitive, its just fun regardless.

I dont mind dying too much, i HATE dying when i have sick weapons that complement each other perfectly :D

Have killed one boss so far, he wrecked me first time, but second time i got to him i was fairly stacked and the tools i had countered him perfectly. Hoping it keeps the momentum up fun wise, i got fairly bored of salt and sanctuary and ended up giving up on it. :(

• Hmmm wasn't expecting this to be rogue-like

• Advertisement

It's kinda semi-randomised: the dungeon layout, monster placement and various loot drops / weapon stats are all random, but some variables such as the number of shops, or skill-boosting pickups, are not. So for instance over repeated re-runs, I soon realised there were always 5 skill pickups in the first dungeon, or that the Timed Room would always be behind the first door in the Fishing Village...

So it kinda gets repetitive in some respects, but given how the game emphasises fast, instinctual movement & combat it helps the player ramp up those runs, when you know that "OK, the elevator to the boss is usually 3/4s across this level..."

The Early Access was pretty active and the devs quite open about changes: the skill trees and other architectural parts of the game went through many overhauls before launch - and they've promised updates post-launch.

As an aside, the devs also have a very unique pay structure at the company: all 11 employees have equal pay & authority over direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This game is now getting lots of publicity thanks to this "IGN" review

• I like but its ruined by its slow progression

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I like but its ruined by its slow progression

Really? I’ve played an hour or two and surprised at how generous it is keeping you moving upwards skill and items wise. Picked up quite a few handy permanent upgrades and unlocked a few notches on the ol’ item ladder as well. I am not always convinced by rogue-like design as the repetition often gets to me sooner rather than later, but definitely wouldn’t consider this one to have slow progression by genre standards...

• Really? I’ve played an hour or two and surprised at how generous it is keeping you moving upwards skill and items wise. Picked up quite a few handy permanent upgrades and unlocked a few notches on the ol’ item ladder as well. I am not always convinced by rogue-like design as the repetition often gets to me sooner rather than later, but definitely wouldn’t consider this one to have slow progression by genre standards...

Yeah really. I'm already off put by the amount each of the permanent upgrades cost. It would be good if you could travel back to the start of a level to spend all your stuff rather than marching onwards and inevitably dying due to lack of healing.

Yeah really. I'm already off put by the amount each of the permanent upgrades cost. It would be good if you could travel back to the start of a level to spend all your stuff rather than marching onwards and inevitably dying due to lack of healing.

That'd run completely contrary to the main gameplay loop though. Aggression and attacking enemies is rewarded with Cells, and getting to the end of the level lets you deposit them. Rinse repeat

• pixelburp wrote: »
    That'd run completely contrary to the main gameplay loop though. Aggression and attacking enemies is rewarded with Cells, and getting to the end of the level lets you deposit them. Rinse repeat

Does it? Aggression gets you killed. There is an element of finesse required. This is not Doom 2016.

I can't upgrade an item at the very start after a reasonably long run. I have to do that run 3 times or so. I can only imagine the cost of items will go up. This doesn't appeal to me. I don't think that's that outrageous. I'd prefer a faster progression system if they're going to make me play the same thing over and over.

Does it? Aggression gets you killed. There is an element of finesse required. This is not Doom 2016.

I can't upgrade an item at the very start after a reasonably long run. I have to do that run 3 times or so. I can only imagine the cost of items will go up. This doesn't appeal to me. I don't think that's that outrageous. I'd prefer a faster progression system if they're going to make me play the same thing over and over.

Well sounds like if you're cautiously inclined you should go for Purple builds (whose official name I forget) as there are bows, turrets and other distance based loadouts. Or you can bypass enemies and get Cells via racing the Timed Doors, which IIRC many players prefer rather than fighting every monster on the level.

The repetition is kinda part of the loop so if you're impatient to get the best stuff sooner I guess the game won't appeal, but personally I find the risk-reward curve quite fair. Different stokes n all :)

• I'll have to agree with different strokes. The repetitive slow progression with rogue-like are two conflicting ideas imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Total deaths so far: 50

Total deaths by my own stupidity: 50

• Advertisement

Id also be of the opinion that the progression is very finely tuned, I've a few upgrades unlocked -but wasnt making much progress when all of a sudden I got a run through the starting dungeon that netted me 16 cells. I think I'll maybe farm this a little for the next few goes and unlock some of the better bows and swords along with the random starting weapon upgrade.

what are folk picking for the mutations? the one with the second chance on death seems like a no brainer.

If you want to creep along, farm cells and play a generally defensive game, I'd recommend "Efficiency" (reduces cooldown on skills by 30%) and "Ammunition" (2x arrows for ranged weapons). Maybe "Support" too that increases turret damage when there are no enemies nearby. Couple those with taking Tactics upgrades and you'll be dealing damage with your skills & turrets even at an early juncture.

Even if I go pure melée, I still pick up Efficiency by default, it's such a handy mutation regardless of your approach.

I always go for DPS after a kill buff, 30% extra HP and vampire though its crappy unless you stack green. I should probably pick up something other than vampire tbh

does the save you on death one return you to full health? it always seems to be locked when i go to pick it on the 3rd mutation, does it take up two slots or something?

what nades/traps is everybody using?

I tend to go with wolf and slicing, until i find the crazy good stuff.

I got into the habit of just going for double Heavy Turrets, purely because if you're lucky it deals a ludicrous amount of damage and almost one-shots a whole bunch of enemies. Crude but effective :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I got a legendary fireball yesterday, and holy hell it made several levels and the first boss a cakewalk. Just raining destruction down... paired with the reliable old combo of turrets and wolf traps, it was pretty devastating. Bastards got me eventually, mind :pac:

Which one's the fireball? Do you mean "Pyrotechnics" (unless its name was changed - TBH I've yet to have a chance to play v1.0), cos yeah that weapon does absolutely wreck anything in front of it :D

Ugh im caught in a loop, i havent got a new rune in AGES, and ive only got two, the vine and coffin teleport. I've made it all the way to the high castle twice now, ive got wrecked the first time and then nearly cleared it just there, but got some bad luck with a large group of mixed mobs, you can blow up pretty quickly in the high castle.

So its getting a bit tedious now, ive cleared alot of the zones but havent found the third rune yet, gettin a bit mad :mad::pac:

EDIT: of course i fond the ram rune on my next go, cleared this zone so many times and never bumped into it..

Really getting into this now, traps are savage, combo of the wolf trap, splicer turret with throwing knives that cause bleed, and topped off with an electric whip that deals more damage to bleeding targets had me wrecking shop. Love the feel of the game, very close to guacamelee.

ugh, game is just so unfair with the RNG sometimes, i get myself stacked, and this kickass bow drops, never seen it before, it does insane damage.

Anyway, im rerolling the stats on it, trying to get the leave a trail of fire or victims burn stat, and i blow all my gold. and the last stat it leaves me with is damage increased by 300% and damage received by 300%...:mad:

Anyway i decide to take it slow, kill from afar, about two buildings in and i roll into this room through a small hole. and 4 bats fly at me, 2 from each direction, instant ****ed, i kill one i think and the other 3 blow and DEAD.. I havent even seen 3 bats in one room nevermind 4!!

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I can't get very far and can only play in short bursts, maybe an hour a go but its a fun game.

Advertisement