Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny 2018

• 01-08-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I see that instead of the usual 2000 rating floor for the Masters with a nonsensical "players within 50 point" clause, Kilkenny has made this years event 1950+ with the Major 1550-1999. This is a very sensible and welcome development for an Irish tournament and hopefully it will become the norm. I presume that the intention is that the rating floors will now be strictly adhered to and there will be no exceptions, wild cards or special cases. Well done Kilkenny !! Take note Bunratty and other tournaments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭2bts

Yes, good to see Kilkenny go with overlapping bands. Saves a lot of lobbying of organisers.

If I recall correctly, Enniscorthy Chess Club led the way with overlapping bands at their inaugural congress a few years ago. Since then the St. Andrew's Classic (Hope to see you playing there again this year, Sodocat, now that it's been moved from the Ryder Cup weekend :) ), the Irish Championship First Weekenders and a number of other tournaments have followed suit to good effect. Though I note most have used 100 (rather than KKs 50) point overlaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

2bts wrote: »
    Yes, good to see Kilkenny go with overlapping bands. Saves a lot of lobbying of organisers.

If I recall correctly, Enniscorthy Chess Club led the way with overlapping bands at their inaugural congress a few years ago. Since then the St. Andrew's Classic (Hope to see you playing there again this year, Sodocat, now that it's been moved from the Ryder Cup weekend :) ), the Irish Championship First Weekenders and a number of other tournaments have followed suit to good effect. Though I note most have used 100 (rather than KKs 50) point overlaps.

That's great news, there won't be a clash with the Ryder Cup!!
    St Andrews was a very well run and enjoyable tournament last year so I will definitely be back. I would much prefer if it was a 5 rounder instead of six whether FIDE rated or not. I think most players over 40 don't like three games in a day.

Advertisement