Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bricks and Mortar Sellers of Speciality Coffee + Equipment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks but the reason I was keen on the Iberital MC2 is because it seems to be recommended as a good budget grinder and Happy Donkey sell it at £116 which is a decent price. If I flew down to Barcelona to get one I'd probably end up paying €300 or over for the thing by the time flights are paid for. I might be desperate, but I'm not that desperate !

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Hmmm, I bought one of those grinders from Happy Donkey back in the day when they used to ship to exotic locations like Ireland. Now they're really restrictive - there are even loads of UK places they won't send to.

Anyhoo, on their site I see
    "All orders are sent through our courier which is currently Interlink Express"

Would it be worth contacting Interlink Express and seeing if it they would be willing to accept a delivery from HD to their office with your name on it and then ship it on to you?

Or find some kind soul in one of the few UK places they do ship to?

Yeah I have a mate in London I could get it sent to and ask him to reship it, but I'd prefer not put him to the hassle as he has a new born in the house. Other than that if Happy Donkey are making customers jump through hoops to buy their gear then I'm not sure I can be bothered with them as a business to spend my hard earned with. I already had an order placed with them for coffee equipment and they cancelled it without informing me and here was me all excited waiting for it for two weeks before I emailed them to ask where it was at which point they finally told me they had cancelled the order as they won't ship to Parcel Motel, citing fraud as the reason. I think I'll just look elsewhere for one or failing that choose a different grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I have a mate in London I could get it sent to and ask him to reship it, but I'd prefer not put him to the hassle as he has a new born in the house. Other than that if Happy Donkey are making customers jump through hoops to buy their gear then I'm not sure I can be bothered with them as a business to spend my hard earned with. I already had an order placed with them for coffee equipment and they cancelled it without informing me and here was me all excited waiting for it for two weeks before I emailed them to ask where it was at which point they finally told me they had cancelled the order as they won't ship to Parcel Motel, citing fraud as the reason. I think I'll just look elsewhere for one or failing that choose a different grinder.

If you change your mind and figure out a way to do it, please let me know as I too want an Iberital MC2.

If we could double up and share the delivery then all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Found out a few weeks ago that a coffee roasters opened in Celbridge and have called in a few times since.
    Had their el salvador santa julia on the syphon today and picked up a bag. Top notch stuff for 9 quid.

Anyone that is passing should call in. Theyre more than happy to show you around the roastery as well which is rather cool. You can't get more closer than that.
    http://www.baobab.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Can't recall 😊
    The guy West of Ireland who imports sells and services "Espresso" etc. machines.
    Thanks.
    Just want to have a nose and see what he's got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dunno if it's a bargain but Argos sell the aeropress now... €35.99
    I only got one there as I spent over €50 the last time and got a €5 off voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Think its 30euro in Brother Hubbard on Caple st.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

anyone know if Badger & Dodo is available anywhere around Limerick/N Tipp /Clare area to buy in bags? know places that serve it, but they don't sell beans or grind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Fernando Better Guano

mossym wrote: »
    anyone know if Badger & Dodo is available anywhere around Limerick/N Tipp /Clare area to buy in bags? know places that serve it, but they don't sell beans or grind

Why don't you just order online direct?

Why don't you just order online direct?

i'm going to, but they say on their webpage it needs signing for or will be returned, and they deliver wednesday/friday and i'll be at work. i'll be able to order sometimes, but was hoping to find somewhere to pick up the odd bag when ordering doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

i'm going to, but they say on their webpage it needs signing for or will be returned, and they deliver wednesday/friday and i'll be at work. i'll be able to order sometimes, but was hoping to find somewhere to pick up the odd bag when ordering doesn't work

Have it delivered to work?

Have it delivered to work?

not an option unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Parcel Motel? That's what I use.

thanks guys, appreciate the suggestions. most of the time i 'll figure out a way to get an order delivered when i am home, so i don't want to go down the parcel motel route. i was jsut hoping there was a shop somewhere so that if i suddenly emptied the grinder on a thurday i could pop into a shop on friday to stock up for the weekend.

i can get ponaire in my local supermarket anyway in Killaloe anyway, so not a huge deal, but have been enjoying the B&D a bit more lately

• Just went into Starbucks in Stillorgan and bought five 250g bags of coffee beans (1 of each type) for €28. I suspect I could have got a better coffee bean elsewhere cheaper.

I've a burr grinder for a French Press. Where in Dublin has good coffee beans reasonably priced? And of the beans available in mainstream supermarkets, what is the best quality and price? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Just went into Starbucks in Stillorgan and bought five 250g bags of coffee beans (1 of each type) for €28. I suspect I could have got a better coffee bean elsewhere cheaper.

I've a burr grinder for a French Press. Where in Dublin has good coffee beans reasonably priced? And of the beans available in mainstream supermarkets, what is the best quality and price? Thanks.

Nicks Coffee in Ranelagh for the good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Slaphead07 wrote: »

5.50 euro for bag of 250grams of Nicks coffee , plus they give you any coffee for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

I know coffee in a can sounds slightly off topic - but with the weather like it is and Nitrogen and cold coffee sounds like such an exotic mix...
    Does anyone know where to get a can of Nescafe Nitro?

I've tried tesco and dunnes websites with no luck.

https://www.nestle.co.uk/media/pressreleases/introducing-nescafe-azera-nitro-americano-and-latte

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

ozmo wrote: »
    I know coffee in a can sounds slightly off topic...

it's definitely off topic in a thread called "Bricks and Mortar Sellers of Speciality Coffee + Equipment"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

And of the beans available in mainstream supermarkets, what is the best quality and price? Thanks.

Marks&Spancers Colombian coffee beans , quality may vary from batch to batch , but it is defenetely one of the best mainstream beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I find the Deluxe Costa Rica beans that appear every so often in LIDL quite good - a 500g bag for €4.99 I think. Better than their Italiamo beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    it's definitely off topic in a thread called "Bricks and Mortar Sellers of Speciality Coffee + Equipment"

Well it's definitely speciality coffee, and i've seen it in a brick and mortar in a Dunnes store. Although it was in a separate giant containers at the end of one of the aisles so might just be special offer introduction test thing.

I've a burr grinder for a French Press.
    If you are looking for better beans , you might as well try some different brewing methods.
    Hario V60 or AeroPress for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ozmo

Well it's definitely speciality coffee, and i've seen it in a brick and mortar in a Dunnes store. Although it was in a separate giant containers at the end of one of the aisles so might just be special offer introduction test thing.

Managed to get a couple in Dunnes. Had to ask for them to be brought from storeroom-They had 2 for 4 Euros offer when I scanned them- but wasn’t advertised anywhere.
    Didn’t like the Americano... Too bitter.
    The Late was ok- interesting experience with fizz- I don’t normally take sugar so it seemed a bit sweet. Milk tasted slightly uht style. Cans much smaller than I expected- ok for 2 Euros but not more.

Inside it had the same plastic nitrogen widget the Guinness used to have.

Speciality yes - but not gourmet by any standards.

Might buy again if weather is hot and I can get one.

“Roll it back”

• Slaphead07 wrote: »

Just went down there this morning and joined the queue outside. Bought the 1kg brown bag and it has some white seal clip on the bag but what do I need to do to seal the coffee and keep it fresh? I've opened it but that white clip isn't sealing it.

Bought one of those recently, 15£ delivered . Definitely keeps beans fresher than airtight jar.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01NACX4YQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone know of a B&M store in Dublin that sells a blind filter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Pearl Deep Hyena

anyone know of anywhere around D11, 9, 7, 5 areas selling decent fresh coffee beans?

Advertisement