Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA is on it's knees and we need help

• 02-08-2018 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

It's time the game got cleaned up, turned into a proper professional organization, and expanded its operation overseas. Dicuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

It's already got football and hurling.

Why does it need discus too?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

It's already got football and hurling.

No upvotes yet, that must really hurt for a guy like you

• Registered Users Posts: 66,732 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It don't matter. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

No upvotes yet, that must really hurt for a guy like you

I've got one now. I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Hi Ewan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is the only chance Leitrim has of winning anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's time the game got cleaned up, turned into a proper professional organization, and expanded its operation overseas. Dicuss

So it can become like professional soccer? Soulless and money-driven?

Nah, we'll pass on that one. But thanks anyway.

PS Premier League is starting in a week or so, you'll be grand.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    So it can become like professional soccer? Soulless and money-driven?

Nah, we'll pass on that one. But thanks anyway.

It can't.

Professionalism means players become employees, with all that that implies...including the choice to move to new employers and transfer from club or county.

The suggestion that the GAA is on its knees is nonsense. But professionalism would certainly hit it hard and possibly bring it to its knees as it would end the club/county allegiance. So here in Kerry, the best players can get jobs, sponsored cars and benefit dinners...but the GAA needs the fig leaf of amateurism. They sell it as a virtue, how often do we hear that the players have to get up for work on Monday. In fact it's a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Professionalism would see the death of intercounty GAA as we know it.

In a population of about 4.5m there would only be a capacity to keep 6 teams employed for football for example.

One in Dublin
    One in the rest of Leinster
    One in Kerry
    One in the rest of Munster
    One in Connacht
    One in Ulster.

What them 6 teams would do I have no idea.

But the GAA counld not generate enough regular income to pay 25 odd players per team plus staff in the current structure in a country the size of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

You've been reading to many exam questions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

A sleeping giant

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ireland isn't big enough for a large professional sport at any level in my opinion. Rugby has 4 professional teams and for years they only had 3, the international game is what is keeping that afloat. Soccer can't cope with a 10 team top division, 2 of the teams can't even afford to play their players.

Without an international market the GAA isn't going to grow, the Sky deal was a huge move for them, they seem to be getting traction in the US, especially for hurling, the 11 a-side thing in Chicago was a huge success.

Say what you want about the GAA but they are getting the crowds to matches, the 2 All Ireland semi finals had more spectators at them than any Irish international Rugby or Soccer had in the Aviva.

Finally, it appears to me that the GAA are finally getting an idea of the infrastructure that they have around the country and that they don't need to just use Croke Park, Ed Sheeran played in 2 stadiums that normally wouldn't have been opened up, hopefully they'll use the grounds more.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Same old backward thinking as always. This is why the GAA will never be anything more than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Show some ambition lads. I would be looking forward to seeing the AIG Dublin Blue Sox take on the Brady Ham White Knights of Kildare in the Adidas Hyper-Dome in Drumcondra.

Half time entertainment could be provided by Katie Perry and the Artane hip-hop crew, 10 minute commercial break at the end of each quarter & pyrotechnics on Samsung Hill 16 everytime the Blue Sox put the ball in the goalbag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Same old backward thinking as always. This is why the GAA will never be anything more than it is.

The most successful and popular sport played on a island, an organisation with a presence in every parish, an organisation with the best & most facilities in the country and an organisation which runs 4 sports.

That's enough to be doing I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

They've re-vamped the football and hurling championships this year - that's forward thinking (even if people don't like the changes, at least there trying something new).

Show some ambition lads. I would be looking forward to seeing the AIG Dublin Blue Sox take on the Brady Ham White Knights of Kildare in the Adidas Hyper-Dome in Drumcondra.

Half time entertainment could be provided by Katie Perry and the Artane hip-hop crew, 10 minute commercial break at the end of each quarter & pyrotechnics on Samsung Hill 16 everytime the Blue Sox put the ball in the goalbag.

Very good point, they should be showing more ambition, firstly they should be looking to wipe out every other sport in the country, they could do that by banning players playing other sports, ah f**k it they got rid of that 50 years ago.

As bad and all as the GAA is, they aren't the worst and except for some local g0bsh1tes everywhere it's all fairly ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

"GAA is on it's knees and we need help"

Would the help that is needed include improving GAA supporters' use of the apostrophe?

As cumbersome as the change process is at least it's a transparent and democratic process. If you want to make a change you put the proposal to your county board who then brings it to congress who debate it for & against and then vote on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Don’t think this guy is anything more than a ‘WUM’ or a troll......he needs to regress back underneath the bridge/rock he crept out from under and stick to threads/comments on ‘anorak/insecure topics’ as statistical regression and the like.......!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Just so we know. Could you outline what you specifically think is backward thinking in the posts so far? :confused:

Clareman wrote: »

Say what you want about the GAA but they are getting the crowds to matches, the 2 All Ireland semi finals had more spectators at them than any Irish international Rugby or Soccer had in the Aviva.

Thats a spurious argument in fairness, if the FAI had access to Croke Park for the World Cup play off i think we would have seen a sell out or near enough and the IRFU certainly would sell it out for the 6 Nations games and bigger tests

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Thats a spurious argument in fairness, if the FAI had access to Croke Park for the World Cup play off i think we would have seen a sell out or near enough and the IRFU certainly would sell it out for the 6 Nations games and bigger tests
    The IRFU built a new stadium with a capacity of 30000 less than Croke Park. Not exactly a show of ambition. Of course they get a bit of rent from the FAI who use it for their usual playoff defeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

It can't.

Professionalism means players become employees, with all that that implies...including the choice to move to new employers and transfer from club or county.

The suggestion that the GAA is on its knees is nonsense. But professionalism would certainly hit it hard and possibly bring it to its knees as it would end the club/county allegiance. So here in Kerry, the best players can get jobs, sponsored cars and benefit dinners...but the GAA needs the fig leaf of amateurism. They sell it as a virtue, how often do we hear that the players have to get up for work on Monday. In fact it's a necessity.

About 6.6 million live on the island, the GAA is an all island sport... Scotland have professional football leagues with nearly a million less people , so does many other countries around our size...its the question if people would keep up the interest to go weekly all over the country every second weekend for 8 months of the year.. Then it would go like the other professional league on this island, you would have the few thousand die hards who go every weekend and teams would spend more than they have and the realities hit hard then.. Keep it the way it is, change the championship structure,

The GAA built a stadium around a bigger pitch for a bigger crowd because they knew they'd be able to fill it, the IRFU/FAI built a stadium around a smaller pitch to suit their needs. If I remember correctly the FAI didn't fill Croke Park for any match and that included a World Cup playoff against France.

The GAA built a stadium around a bigger pitch for a bigger crowd because they knew they'd be able to fill it, the IRFU/FAI built a stadium around a smaller pitch to suit their needs. If I remember correctly the FAI didn't fill Croke Park for any match and that included a World Cup playoff against France.

Ya in fairness you're right about the France game. Were the IRFU constricted in some way with the redevelopment? It does seem a bit shortsighted in retrospect though at t he time im not sure we had the rugby bandwagon in full flow as we do now

The world cup play-off had 74,000, which was capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭_brendand_

Ireland isn't big enough for a large professional sport at any level in my opinion. Rugby has 4 professional teams and for years they only had 3, the international game is what is keeping that afloat. Soccer can't cope with a 10 team top division, 2 of the teams can't even afford to play their players.

Without an international market the GAA isn't going to grow, the Sky deal was a huge move for them, they seem to be getting traction in the US, especially for hurling, the 11 a-side thing in Chicago was a huge success.

Finally, it appears to me that the GAA are finally getting an idea of the infrastructure that they have around the country and that they don't need to just use Croke Park, Ed Sheeran played in 2 stadiums that normally wouldn't have been opened up, hopefully they'll use the grounds more.

I think you're right. One of Gaelic football or soccer needs to be gotten rid of. Getting rid of Gaelic games altogether wouldn't go down well so Hurling should be kept around, mighty sport as it is. Football is a big load of ****e so no-one will really miss it except for maybe the Kingdom. Dublin are winning it all the time anyway and the Dubs will be grand occupying themselves with just soccer and Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

_brendand_ wrote: »
    I think you're right. One of Gaelic football or soccer needs to be gotten rid of. Getting rid of Gaelic games altogether wouldn't go down well so Hurling should be kept around, mighty sport as it is. Football is a big load of ****e so no-one will really miss it except for maybe the Kingdom. Dublin are winning it all the time anyway and the Dubs will be grand occupying themselves with just soccer and Rugby.

Great idea there, brendand thinks we should just get rid of Gaelic football so we'll do that. I have informed the sold out crowd for the Donegal-Tyrone match this weekend that there will be no game as Gaelic football had been disbanded on brendands orders but that Dungannon Swifts and Finn Harps are both playing if they'd like to watch that instead. My own local club are also through to a county final for the first time in decades in the Gaelic as well but they will understand that because Brendand has decreed that their sport is 'a big load of ****e' that it is no longer going ahead.

I'd say ya wouldn't kick your own arse with your heel brendand.

• Advertisement

Ya in fairness you're right about the France game. Were the IRFU constricted in some way with the redevelopment? It does seem a bit shortsighted in retrospect though at t he time im not sure we had the rugby bandwagon in full flow as we do now

They built in the middle of D4 so they were very restricted but I'm sure they could have gone up a few more tiers or did something about the underdeveloped end, why can't we finish off our main stadiums and only have them top class on 3 of the 4 sides?

Advertisement