Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ahtletics Ireland Membership card/number

• 03-08-2018 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all, Newbie here. Just wondering, when you join an AC club are you automatically registered with Athletics Ireland. Also, should you receive a membership card and number upon joining?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jonnbinn wrote: »
    Hi all, Newbie here. Just wondering, when you join an AC club are you automatically registered with Athletics Ireland. Also, should you receive a membership card and number upon joining?

Your club should register you. Sometimes there's a bit of a delay, forms sitting in bags, that kind of thing. There are some 'running groups' around that aren't part of Athletics Ireland and don't register their members. But from your point of view, there shouldn't be any extra step involved - you join the club -> they register you with AAI.

As soon as you are registered, you are assigned a membership number. Your club secretary or registrar can tell you what it is.

AAI send out membership cards... at irregular intervals. They've stopped sending out annual cards, it's just life membership cards now. They seem to wait until they have a load to do and get a batch made up, so you could be waiting months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jonnbinn

Great, I'll get on to the club secretary so. I must have slipped through the cracks in terms of the membership cards (joined back in Feb). I'm guessing all I need is the number for entry to races anyway. Thanks for the quick response!

Great, I'll get on to the club secretary so. I must have slipped through the cracks in terms of the membership cards (joined back in Feb). I'm guessing all I need is the number for entry to races anyway. Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, if you're entering something that requires AAI membership, you don't need the physical card, just your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You will get the membership card on the December of the year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I've been a member of an AAI registered club for about 3 years now and have never received a membership card...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RayCun wrote: »
    Your club should register you. Sometimes there's a bit of a delay, forms sitting in bags, that kind of thing. There are some 'running groups' around that aren't part of Athletics Ireland and don't register their members. But from your point of view, there shouldn't be any extra step involved - you join the club -> they register you with AAI.

As soon as you are registered, you are assigned a membership number. Your club secretary or registrar can tell you what it is.

AAI send out membership cards... at irregular intervals. They've stopped sending out annual cards, it's just life membership cards now. They seem to wait until they have a load to do and get a batch made up, so you could be waiting months.

I have never received a membership card. I've been registered with an Irish club for nearly 4 and a half years now.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I have never received a membership card. I've been registered with an Irish club for nearly 4 and a half years now.

The cards go out to the club, not directly to the member. We got a box full a year or two ago, many of the cards are still sitting there on the shelf. Yours might be sitting in a box somewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I haven’t seen mine either. I believe the club policy is to mind them for you. ;) The number is available on request.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I always got my card, they post them out individually to the club all at once.

So to RacoonQueen
    c/o Donore Harriers

in one envelope and a separate envelope for each other athlete. Not a waste of money at all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Wottle

Can you be a member of AAI and compete in masters competions without being a member of a club?

• Advertisement

Wottle wrote: »
    Can you be a member of AAI and compete in masters competions without being a member of a club?

No, you can only join via a club, there is no 'unattached' membership.

Sure weren't you one of the founders of Boards AC? :)

RayCun wrote: »
    No, you can only join via a club, there is no 'unattached' membership.

Sure weren't you one of the founders of Boards AC? :)

Haha, I thought as much, that was along time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Don't think i ever got a membership card in my 12 years as a member. But if u need your membership number just email.

Don't think i ever got a membership card in my 12 years as a member. But if u need your membership number just email.

In my previous club we got them and handy to have, think woodies gave 10% off to AAI members but you obviously needed to show your card. With my new club about 4 yrs now and never received one.

Not sponsored by Woodies any more, some insurance company. Discount for members, need your number but not a card afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

If you need cheap DIY B&Q Diamond Club cards (over 60’s) are only available in store. Please bring some ID with you as you might be asked to provide proof of age when you apply, once you have a new card this will give you a 10% discount on Wednesday :)

Advertisement