Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Together Now : Car Pool or Lifts?

• 01-08-2018 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Well Guys & Gals,

Being of an age now that I could'nt face the hassle/torture of camping @ a festival once more I have taken the brave decision to commute back & forth each day to the site. The Bus Eireann shuttle service seems to be finishing quite early each evening and I doubt a taxi would freely be available back into town in the small hours (even if they were I reckon a man could be fleeced pricewise). There are number of acts I'd like to see and some I've seen many a time. If I had to limit myself to a pint or two stretched out over one of the days and do it dry the other two so be it. Besides Friday is a late kick off so that wouldnt be a problem. There was many an ocassion in times gone by whereby I lost hours due to an over indulgent alcohol haze. With age comes wisdom so they say.

So if there are any other similar souls out there thinking along the same lines pm me and maybe we could sort something out with regards lifts/car pooling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sorry to be only commenting, rather than offering you a solution, but I really think it's poor that the shuttle buses back to the city are not available for when the music ends at the festival. Surely there are people in your position, and also people who've booked accommodation in the city, who could do with not having to call taxis or cadge lifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hassle/torture of camping you say ?
    I think trying to arrange lifts from Portlaw will be worse !!

And its not on the Festival organisers remit to 'have' to provide transport back to Waterford, no other gig does that (?) and should be seen as a help , not a fault.

Just park in the festival car park, and drive home each night when you are done with the music.
    Simple ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

greenspurs wrote: »

And its not on the Festival organisers remit to 'have' to provide transport back to Waterford, no other gig does that (?) and should be seen as a help , not a fault.

Just park in the festival car park, and drive home each night when you are done with the music.
    Simple ?

The main problem is down to the festival organisers for those who want to have a few pints and go back to the city.
    You have to get a shuttle bus from the main entrance to the actual site, that's fine getting in but getting back home is proving a headache as they are not saying what time these buses finish, so for anyone who wants to get a taxi after the gig everything is a bit up in the air.

Boooourns wrote: »
    The main problem is down to the festival organisers for those who want to have a few pints and go back to the city.
    You have to get a shuttle bus from the main entrance to the actual site, that's fine getting in but getting back home is proving a headache as they are not saying what time these buses finish, so for anyone who wants to get a taxi after the gig everything is a bit up in the air.

The shuttle bus is from the Square in Portlaw to the Festival site ?

Simple ?
    The shuttle bus is from the Square in Portlaw to the Festival site ?

Yeah that seems to be the plan as they're not leaving anyone walk it. Shuttlebus may be at the actual entrance into Curraghmore, so to get back out you need to get that or have your car.

• Advertisement

I've tried to contact the organisers but no joy.

I've tried to contact the organisers but no joy.

Same here.

I need to get out early sat morning for work ....... :rolleyes:

It would be nice to know what the situation is ! :rolleyes:

Same here.

I need to get out early sat morning for work ....... :rolleyes:

It would be nice to know what the situation is ! :rolleyes:

How early? I'd imagine they will start them early to get the people who arrive the Saturday to the campsite.
    It's not very clear though is it.

How early? I'd imagine they will start them early to get the people who arrive the Saturday to the campsite.
    It's not very clear though is it.

about 7am for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There's a couple of small private bus companies in Portlaw, I'd imagine they ll be flat out over the weekend, could be worth your while contacting them to see what their weekend plans are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Well Guys & Gals,

Being of an age now that I could'nt face the hassle/torture of camping @ a festival once more I have taken the brave decision to commute back & forth each day to the site. The Bus Eireann shuttle service seems to be finishing quite early each evening and I doubt a taxi would freely be available back into town in the small hours (even if they were I reckon a man could be fleeced pricewise). There are number of acts I'd like to see and some I've seen many a time. If I had to limit myself to a pint or two stretched out over one of the days and do it dry the other two so be it. Besides Friday is a late kick off so that wouldnt be a problem. There was many an ocassion in times gone by whereby I lost hours due to an over indulgent alcohol haze. With age comes wisdom so they say.

So if there are any other similar souls out there thinking along the same lines pm me and maybe we could sort something out with regards lifts/car pooling.

Cycle out the greenway be handy spinning bag of cans on the handlebars

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

The Bus Eireann shuttles to/from Waterford finish around 9pm -ish so if you are relying on them for a late night lift back into town than don't! I reckon its gonna be a real struggle for those who want to go back to their own leaba any of the nights and dont wanna camp. Taxis will be at a premium and will no doubt charge a premium price too. Personally I think the organisers should have put definite arrangements in place whereby locals (who will probably make up the bulk of the attendees) can be transported back to town. It's gonna be an issue undoubtedly. Personally Ive decided to commute by car and limit myself to the one or two pints spread out over the day (Sat/Sun). After all who needs drink to enjoy themselves????!!! I'll probably get to see more/hear more and remember more of the festival than most of the others Ive attended down thru the years!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

debok wrote: »
    Cycle out the greenway be handy spinning bag of cans on the handlebars

The return journey might be problematic, assuming the contents of cans consumed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Here's the link from the festival site re. shuttle buses:
    https://goo.gl/cM8mrW

Here's the link from the festival site re. shuttle buses:
    https://goo.gl/cM8mrW

They're not the onsite shuttle buses though. Bus Eireann are different, they bring you too and from the site, the return times are sh!te for Friday night.

I have a taxi lined up for Friday after 12ish but i don't know how to meet it!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

They're not the onsite shuttle buses though. Bus Eireann are different, they bring you too and from the site, the return times are sh!te for Friday night.

I have a taxi lined up for Friday after 12ish but i don't know how to meet it!

The orange route is a dedicated route drop off and pick up for cars, taxis and private buses. That might be your best bet to meet the taxi. The route goes from Carroll's cross to portlaw village

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

davy power is from portlaw and owns a couple of mini buses, id be surprised if hes not running back and forth from the city all weekend

https://www.facebook.com/david.power.142

according to the internets, his number is 086 103 8079, but that could be wrong. might be worth contacting him to see what his plans are

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    The orange route is a dedicated route drop off and pick up for cars, taxis and private buses. That might be your best bet to meet the taxi. The route goes from Carroll's cross to portlaw village

Yeah but what i can't figure out is getting from the actual music site back to that point. They're saying people can't walk (think it's 3km anyway) so they're running a Portlaw shuttle bus but have no idea when what time these finish up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The Bus Eireann shuttles to/from Waterford finish around 9pm -ish so if you are relying on them for a late night lift back into town than don't! I reckon its gonna be a real struggle for those who want to go back to their own leaba any of the nights and dont wanna camp. Taxis will be at a premium and will no doubt charge a premium price too. Personally I think the organisers should have put definite arrangements in place whereby locals (who will probably make up the bulk of the attendees) can be transported back to town. It's gonna be an issue undoubtedly. Personally Ive decided to commute by car and limit myself to the one or two pints spread out over the day (Sat/Sun). After all who needs drink to enjoy themselves????!!! I'll probably get to see more/hear more and remember more of the festival than most of the others Ive attended down thru the years!

Some good info on this site

http://www.waterfordinyourpocket.com/iimportant-information-for-all-together-now/

• Registered Users Posts: 39 burkulosis

I’m hoping to get a taxi home tonight, are there many taxis working the pick up points?

• Advertisement
Advertisement