Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Cup Bolters

Options
  • 30-07-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

With under 14 months to first match who are going to be the bolters to make the Irish World Cup squad. Uncapped players only please.

Remember 14 months ago James Ryan hadn't played for Leinster never mind Ireland.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ross byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hype101

Jordan Conroy for the craic - A pure Schmidt winger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

A few unknown quantities; Bleyendaal, Addison and Haley. Whether any or all are good enough remains to be seen.

Burns or McPhillips could come into the equation, might only take one injury.

Wouldn't rule out Kleyn being parachuted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Max Deegan

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Psteve232

Adam McBurney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Conor Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Big Vakh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ian Madigan 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Calvin Nash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Shane Delahunt. Big season needed. But well capable

• Advertisement

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Max Deegan

He's never been far from my thoughts with regards to bolters.

What I've seen of him, he's just so good. Definitely some big game chances for him this season.

Schmidt has always been reluctant to rate Conan it seems. Deegan might get a spot there.

Only thing is a lot of Ireland's game plan revolves around CJ and his carrying. But injuries happen and cover is essential

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Max Deegan would be my shout if there's injuries at 8. Or even Caelan Dorris if he had a standout season and breaks the first team.

He's never been far from my thoughts with regards to bolters.

What I've seen of him, he's just so good. Definitely some big game chances for him this season.

Schmidt has always been reluctant to rate Conan it seems. Deegan might get a spot there.

Only thing is a lot of Ireland's game plan revolves around CJ and his carrying. But injuries happen and cover is essential

Thought Conan put in a very Schmditesque performance in Australia and did well, he'll be able to build on that and add in some of his natural play making with ball in hand. It was a good tour for him.

Deegan has looked up to the level provincially, from what I've seen there is plenty of potential there, will see how he converts that into performances this season.

We've really lost some key players this year. Isa was critical for us at times last season as was Jordi who is one of the countries form back rows. I'm just glad Jordi is still able to contribute to Irish rugby as opposed to going to France or England.

I think any bolter needs to be in a position of relative weakness for the squad. So while one of our uncapped out-halves will definitely be in the mix this time next year whatever happens, someone like Deegan needs multiple injuries to get a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s hard to see anyone who hasn’t already been involved making the plane. That’s just not how Joe works. It’s not likely to be a young player like Deegan or Doris breaking through. Bolters would more likely be someone coming back from injury like DK, if he managed (unlikely) to have a really standout season. Nearly every position is well supplied with fairly nailed on candidates in most. Losing Best or Sexton might open up a spot for a bolter, but in every other position the replacements are fairly obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Addison, Haley and Burns just because we aren't blessed with numbers at full back and out half.

Sam Arnold.

Kid spent a lot of time in the environment during the 6N and he is one hell of a talent.

Even when Taute comes back, I can see Arnold keeping the 13 shirt for Munster this season for the big games.

I suspect he will get capped against Italy and the US this Autumn.

Again, I don't think he will start, but injuries happen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I was thinking Sam Arnold but I just don't see how he gets in with the options that are available. We have three nailed on guys for the jerseys at the moment and Farrell is very much in the mix there too. We're going to need at least 3 injuries for him to get in the team as I don't see him ever wearing the 23 jersey.

I'm a fan but I don't see him keeping Farrell out of the 13 jersey in Munster. He might have a better shot at the 12 spot but there's just so much competition for that spot too.

Buer wrote: »
    I was thinking Sam Arnold but I just don't see how he gets in with the options that are available. We have three nailed on guys for the jerseys at the moment and Farrell is very much in the mix there too. We're going to need at least 3 injuries for him to get in the team as I don't see him ever wearing the 23 jersey.

I'm a fan but I don't see him keeping Farrell out of the 13 jersey in Munster. He might have a better shot at the 12 spot but there's just so much competition for that spot too.

I actually kinda forgot about Farrell :o

They'd make a handy 12-13 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Shane Delahunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bainneban

possibly one of the new IQ players that have arrived at the various provinces this year. Some good performances now that they are firmly on the radar and they might get called up....fullback possibly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Bainneban wrote: »
    possibly one of the new IQ players that have arrived at the various provinces this year. Some good performances now that they are firmly on the radar and they might get called up....fullback possibly.

They would need to have been playing since August 2016 to be eligible for RWC 2019.

They would need to have been playing since August 2016 to be eligible for RWC 2019.

That would make them a NIQ player...

Haley, Burns and Addison can all play for Ireland tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Haley is a good shout. With Conway unavailable for the start of the season, Haley will get an opportunity to nail down the 15 jersey at Munster.

Haley is a good shout. With Conway unavailable for the start of the season, Haley will get an opportunity to nail down the 15 jersey at Munster.

What happened him??

There isn't really a nailed on 15 option behind Kearney so a good chance for him.

Admittedly I only saw his highlight reel for Sale - which was very impressive - but not sure about his nuts and bolts that Schmidt wants.

Conway a very good player but I don't think he is excellent, probably a bit more suited to the wing at international level IMO

I don't mean it as a slight on him, just that there is a real chance he could get overtaken by someone like Haley if he proves the real deal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

O Halloran may be in with a shout if Connacht perform well. Matt Healy too! I think Ruddock will be thereabouts also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dubinusa wrote: »
    O Halloran may be in with a shout if Connacht perform well. Matt Healy too! I think Ruddock will be thereabouts also.

TOH is firmly in the Craig Gilroy bracket, he will only come into contention if there is about 4 injuries. He has been there or there abouts when Zebo was the only viable option, but isn’t even making the wider squads now Conway and Larmour are there. Matt Healy would be an even bigger shock really given his level of exposure to the national setup. Ruddock wil definitely be there or thereabouts if he can remain injury free, but we have an awful lot of backrows. Also now with Beirne there, he has competition for that 5/6 cover position.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

......We've really lost some key players this year. Isa was critical for us at times last season as was Jordi who is one of the countries form back rows. I'm just glad Jordi is still able to contribute to Irish rugby as opposed to going to France or England.

Rambling somewhat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Zeebsisgone654

Billy Burns

Advertisement