Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    No, not really. She normally drops a one liner and disappears again.

Patience, grasshopper! If it needs an answer..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,305 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So who's going?

Dear ELM327,We are contacting you about your registration for tickets for the World Meeting of Families Closing Mass in Phoenix Park on Sunday 26 August.
    Tickets are now issuing on 10 August
    We had planned to email all tickets by 31 July but we were unable to do so due to the large number of people who have indicated to us that they intend to travel to the event by car. The available infrastructure in Dublin cannot cater for all those who have indicated that they are coming by car.
    We have delayed the issue of tickets to 10 August so as we can finalise the colour coded routes based on the information we have received about where those attending are coming from.
    Changing your mode of transport
    You have indicated that you are coming from ### and you are travelling by Bus Éireann Services.
    Thank you for choosing this mode of transport. You will get closer to the Mass by using Public Transport and you will be shortening your walk. Dublin Bus, Luas and DART services are free once on Sunday 26 August once you show your Mass Ticket. You will not be able to drive to or close to the Phoenix Park.
    For those travelling from outside Dublin using Public Transport: Please book your seat
    We understand from public transport operators (including Bus Eireann, Irish Rail and Translink) that a lot of people have yet to formally book their ticket on rail or bus. Given the large volumes of people travelling to this event, we urge you to book your ticket now to ensure you can travel on the day.
    Please rest assured that and you will receive your print@home tickets via email in plenty of time for the Final Mass.
    Your order code is #### . Your ‘print at home’ ticket, when issued, will include your colour route into and out of the Phoenix Park.
    Thanks for your patience,
    World Meeting of Families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I am looking forward to this *polishes rifle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

I got the same email, indicated I was walking from Donegal. I'd better leave soon.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,318 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Saw him in the Vatican when I was on holidays in Rome. Was Sunday morning so we went down for a wander and ended up about six foot from him in St Peter's Square when he went by on the pope-mobile.

That was enough pope for one lifetime for me I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I am looking forward to this *polishes rifle*

Ah now.
    What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander! Please show the same respect that people showed for Be'elzebub when he did that big black mass in Dublin that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I got the same email, indicated I was walking from Donegal. I'd better leave soon.... :pac:

Sedia gestatoria for the win :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It kind of proves that most in Ireland are cultural Catholics. Couldn’t even be arsed turning up for a once in a lifetime opportunity to see their leader say mass.

Not at all. Why do you think that ? Why such contemptuous language ?

I know many here , who will be there and who live in Knock. People of deep, quiet faith.

See

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0801/982349-pope-mass-phoenix-park/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

ELM327 wrote: »
    So who's going?

Dear ELM327,We are contacting you about your registration for tickets for the World Meeting of Families Closing Mass in Phoenix Park on Sunday 26 August.
    Tickets are now issuing on 10 August
    We had planned to email all tickets by 31 July but we were unable to do so due to the large number of people who have indicated to us that they intend to travel to the event by car. The available infrastructure in Dublin cannot cater for all those who have indicated that they are coming by car.
    We have delayed the issue of tickets to 10 August so as we can finalise the colour coded routes based on the information we have received about where those attending are coming from.
    Changing your mode of transport
    You have indicated that you are coming from ### and you are travelling by Bus Éireann Services.
    Thank you for choosing this mode of transport. You will get closer to the Mass by using Public Transport and you will be shortening your walk. Dublin Bus, Luas and DART services are free once on Sunday 26 August once you show your Mass Ticket. You will not be able to drive to or close to the Phoenix Park.
    For those travelling from outside Dublin using Public Transport: Please book your seat
    We understand from public transport operators (including Bus Eireann, Irish Rail and Translink) that a lot of people have yet to formally book their ticket on rail or bus. Given the large volumes of people travelling to this event, we urge you to book your ticket now to ensure you can travel on the day.
    Please rest assured that and you will receive your print@home tickets via email in plenty of time for the Final Mass.
    Your order code is #### . Your ‘print at home’ ticket, when issued, will include your colour route into and out of the Phoenix Park.
    Thanks for your patience,
    World Meeting of Families.

You realise you're pretty much bullying people who would like to go. Remind me to never engage with you again on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You realise you're pretty much bullying people who would like to go. Remind me to never engage with you again on this site.

How is he bullying people would like to go? :confused:

He's just showing the email he got in relation to the event. Bloody hell, people will be offended by anything…

• Advertisement

How is bullying people would like to go? :confused:

He's just showing the email he got in relation to the event. Bloody hell, people will be offended by anything…

Do I really need to explain it to you? They're buying tickets to purposely deprive others who would like to go. I better stay away from this thread anyway. I got banned the last time because these nasty people were annoying me so much

Do I really need to explain it to you? They're buying tickets to purposely deprive others who would like to go. I better stay away from this thread anyway. I got banned the last time because these nasty people were annoying me so much

ELM327 hasn't given any indication that he registered tickets to deprive others and is merely sharing the information he got. I don't know how you made that leap.

Edit: I've looked back over his posts and seen he's being a dick ordering tickets he has no intention of using. Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

There are shedloads of tickets for this - while I don't mind people using buying up tickets as a protest, I would worry that the media will use that as an excuse as to why f*** all people show up instead of acknowledging that the RCC 's time is up in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not at all. Why do you think that ? Why such contemptuous language ?

I know many here , who will be there and who live in Knock. People of deep, quiet faith.

See

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0801/982349-pope-mass-phoenix-park/

I don’t think it. It’s the truth. The majority of catholics in Ireland are now cultural. Others can’t be arsed going to mass and won’t be arsed going to see the pope.

A large portion of the crowd will be tourists. Coming to Ireland to see the pope.

The Catholic Church in Ireland is on life support at the moment. No loca priests. Actually not even enough imported priests to keep many churches open. The died hard congregation is dying off. Younger people are only catholics to get their children into schools.

It’s great because once the power to discriminate for school enrolment is gone then there will be very few cultural catholics apart from the ones where the mammy or daddy forces their children to be recorded as Catholic on the census.

Ireland is great. It is finally letting the Catholic Church die off and become completely insignificant and have no influence. I love Ireland for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

No one is buying tickets. No one at all. How is that still being said on this thread?

optogirl wrote: »
    I would worry that the media will use that as an excuse as to why f*** all people show up instead of acknowledging that the RCC 's time is up in this country.

That's the problem I have with this form of protest as well…

I grew up in a very orthodox Catholic family and I have no love for the religion. I've been an atheist all my adult life but I'd be loathe to stop anyone practicing their religion when it doesn't affect me personally. For me that's suppression of freedom of expression.

optogirl wrote: »
    There are shedloads of tickets for this - while I don't mind people using buying up tickets as a protest, I would worry that the media will use that as an excuse as to why f*** all people show up instead of acknowledging that the RCC 's time is up in this country.

Yes, because the media are so warm towards the Church. Do we live in the same country? Don't worry, the media will be on the side of the blue haired virtue signallers protesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I grew up in a very orthodox Catholic family and I have no love for the religion. I've been an atheist all my adult life but I'd be loathe to stop anyone practicing their religion when it doesn't affect me personally. For me that's suppression of freedom of expression.

How is anyone being stopped from practicing their religion... please do tell?

They want to see the head of their religion, people are being petty by blocking them from getting tickets to go see him. To some, the visit would be a major thing for them in terms of their faith. It makes no difference to anyone else. Why would you feel the need to block people from going to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Because of people like you grabbing up tickets to prevent believers from meeting their spiritual leader and practising their faith in the form of a mass.

Dress it up anyway you want, you are stopping people from expressing their faith.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement

Dress it up anyway you want, you are stopping people from expressing their faith.

Nope wrong, stopping someone from having a seat or standing room at the Phoenix park is not stopping them expressing their faith. The ability to practice ones faith is not location specific. Nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,318 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because of people like you grabbing up tickets to prevent believers from meeting their spiritual leader and practising their faith in the form of a mass.

I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think he's dishing out the communion wafers.

Nope wrong, stopping someone from having a seat or standing room at the Phoenix park is not stopping them expressing their faith. The ability to practice ones faith is not location specific. Nice try though.

What's on in the Phoenix Park, a giant mass.

What are you doing, taking tickets to stop peoole attending, cause you're all edgy.

So you're stopping their faith. Your as bad as the bishops of old.

I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think he's dishing out the communion wafers.

I hear he does a goos mass though.

So you're stopping their faith. Your as bad as the bishops of old.

So one can only practice their faith in a certain location? When did this happen?

So one can only practice their faith in a certain location? When did this happen?

When a mass is organised there.

You know, the one you took loads of tickets for?

A once of in a generation event, the one where you think you're so cool n trendy to take load of tickets and not go.

A once of in a generation event, the one where you think you're so cool n trendy to take load of tickets and not go.

So no answer to my question then?

So no answer to my question then?

I did. Not my fault you cant see it. Question was well answered.

I did. Not my fault you cant see it. Question was well answered.

You didn't, you claimed I'm stopping someone from practicing their faith. Please explain how the practice of faith can only be practiced in a certain location? When you are ready.

• Advertisement

You didn't, you claimed I'm stopping someone from practicing their faith. Please explain how the practice of faith can only be practiced in a certain location? When you are ready.

He's already explained it to you quite concisely. What do you gain from stopping other people going to see the pope?

Advertisement