Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Ticket on aSunday

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I didn't even know that there were double yellows on the road just outside the New Street gardens as it appears people are not adhering to that too closely either!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dlnv27

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    dlnv27 wrote:
    It wasn't the guards. My ticket was issued by TW11.

You parked on double yellow lines. Do you realise you cannot legally park on double yellow lines at any time? Just accept your fine and move on.
    I accept I was in the wrong and my fine is already paid. It just seems there is no consistency with parking tickets. There was 3 cars ticketed where I was parked. Behind Michael guineys there was at least 6 cars parked on the footpath blocking anyone from using the path. No tickets on any of them. In conduit lane someone nearly tried to drive into the back entrance to Penney's (car was there for at least 30 mins) no ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭914

dlnv27 wrote: »
    Hitman3000 wrote: »
    dlnv27 wrote:
    It wasn't the guards. My ticket was issued by TW11.

You parked on double yellow lines. Do you realise you cannot legally park on double yellow lines at any time? Just accept your fine and move on.
    I accept I was in the wrong and my fine is already paid. It just seems there is no consistency with parking tickets. There was 3 cars ticketed where I was parked. Behind Michael guineys there was at least 6 cars parked on the footpath blocking anyone from using the path. No tickets on any of them. In conduit lane someone nearly tried to drive into the back entrance to Penney's (car was there for at least 30 mins) no ticket.

Could it not be the case that those cars parked some time after you received your ticket.

I'd guess on a Sunday there are one possibly two traffic wardens on covering the city boundary of pay and display, not possible for them to stay in the one car park all day.

You call it sneaky, a better term would be either lucky or unlucky depending if you get caught parking illegally or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just because it’s Sunday doesn’t make bad parking ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

914 wrote: »
    Could it not be the case that those cars parked some time after you received your ticket.

I'd guess on a Sunday there are one possibly two traffic wardens on covering the city boundary of pay and display, not possible for them to stay in the one car park all day.

You call it sneaky, a better term would be either lucky or unlucky depending if you get caught parking illegally or not.

Just to be clear. There is no pay and display on Sunday. OP was done for illegal parking not unpaid parking. Traffic Wardens are only employed on Sundays when the Crystal Showrooms are open on Sundays (and even then it is hit & miss). Nobody has ever explained why a private foreign company was given the right to call the Mall their private car park and why the Council pays Traffic Wardens to enforce it (presumably at a premium Sunday rate too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Just to be clear. There is no pay and display on Sunday. OP was done for illegal parking not unpaid parking. Traffic Wardens are only employed on Sundays when the Crystal Showrooms are open on Sundays (and even then it is hit & miss). Nobody has ever explained why a private foreign company was given the right to call the Mall their private car park and why the Council pays Traffic Wardens to enforce it (presumably at a premium Sunday rate too).

That's one thing that always bugged me is that a lot of the mall outside of the crystal is taken up for bus parking,couldn't they have used the space between the showroom and the "factory"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    The Traffic wardens are Council employees paid for by the Council. Sunday is free parking everywhere unless you park on double yellows or somewhere potentially dangerous which the Guards will look after anyway. Ergo, the only function for the Traffic Wardens on a Sunday is the keep the Mall clear for Waterford Crystal, to get tourists as close as possible to the showrooms going in and leaving.

It's not just Waterford Crystal. I've seen them ticketing people on High Street parked on double yellows too, several times. And there's Little Patrick Street, like the OP says. Put away the tin foil hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's not just Waterford Crystal. I've seen them ticketing people on High Street parked on double yellows too, several times. And there's Little Patrick Street, like the OP says. Put away the tin foil hat.

Amazing how no tickets are given out to people endangering children's lives illegally parking every day during school term.

Or tickets being issued to them either.

Don't see anyone criticising this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

JohnC. wrote: »

Come back to me after a Sunday the showrooms were closed and the wardens were on duty. They never worked Sundays ever until they brought in the bus park on the Mall. Maybe have a few facts before you make an idiot out of yourself being sarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Chiparus wrote: »
    If you put you hazards on you can block the only mandatory cycle lane in the city.

Those cycle lanes that cyclists ignore - and cycle on the footpath instead? Those ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

There seems to be a lot of people here who take a view that if you park on double yellow, you should get a ticket, end of. I don't think that it's quite as black and white as that. In most cases, parking on double yellow lines won't block a street. I had to drop a bike in to be fixed to Spokes in Patrick Street a few weeks ago. I parked on double yellow lines, picked up the bike and was back in the car and away in 2 minutes or so. No traffic was obstructed. I don't think that it's any big deal when you park on a double yellow line for a very short time for a drop-off or pick up etc.

I accept that if the parking attendant sees the car and doesn't see you, then he's got no choice but to write the ticket. But, if possible and if the car owner isn't taking the you know what(e.g. illegally parking for a long period of time), and if the parking attendant can see that it was just a case of illegal parking for a pick-up, I think that there should be some discretion. If the Council is too harsh, the only winners will be suburban shops who have ample parking.

Bottom line, the Council has to enforce parking rules, but there should be room for a little discretion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

There seems to be a lot of people here who take a view that if you park on double yellow, you should get a ticket, end of. I don't think that it's quite as black and white as that. In most cases, parking on double yellow lines won't block a street. I had to drop a bike in to be fixed to Spokes in Patrick Street a few weeks ago. I parked on double yellow lines, picked up the bike and was back in the car and away in 2 minutes or so. No traffic was obstructed. I don't think that it's any big deal when you park on a double yellow line for a very short time for a drop-off or pick up etc.

I accept that if the parking attendant sees the car and doesn't see you, then he's got no choice but to write the ticket. But, if possible and if the car owner isn't taking the you know what(e.g. illegally parking for a long period of time), and if the parking attendant can see that it was just a case of illegal parking for a pick-up, I think that there should be some discretion. If the Council is too harsh, the only winners will be suburban shops who have ample parking.

Bottom line, the Council has to enforce parking rules, but there should be room for a little discretion.

Triple yellow lines? No parking at any time. Ever!

amcalester wrote: »
    Triple yellow lines? No parking at any time. Ever!
    You may be joking but there is a reason why there are double yellow lines - there used to be such a thing as single yellow lines as well as double yellow lines. Don't know whether single yellow lines still exist anywhere. Basically, single yellow lines allowed parking for loading and unloading. I would have thought that a lot of double yellow lines aren't strictly necessary. If you look around, some parking on double yellow lines would not cause obstruction. I'm just saying that there is nothing wrong with a little bit of flexibility. Nobody was hurt when I parked on a double yellow line on Patrick Street for a couple of minutes. If I thought that I couldn't park outside the shop and had to find parking possibly a distance away all for a two minute pick up, I might have decided that I'd be better off staying out of the City Centre and just going to Halfords instead.

The double yellow lines on patrick st by spokes are probably there since the road was two way and were in need to keep traffic flowing.

Single yellow lines still exist around the town. I think O Connell street has them

The double yellow lines on patrick st by spokes are probably there since the road was two way and were in need to keep traffic flowing.

Single yellow lines still exist around the town. I think O Connell street has them

I'm pretty sure that there are none on O'Connell St., though there may be some somewhere in town. To be fair to the Council, sometimes when people park on the double yellow lines, they go up on the footpath too. If the path is wide, probably not a problem. But if it's narrow, the car might block wheelchair users or parents with children's buggies. So I accept that parking rules are there for a reason - I just think that there is scope for a little bit of give and take.

I'm pretty sure that there are none on O'Connell St., though there may be some somewhere in town. To be fair to the Council, sometimes when people park on the double yellow lines, they go up on the footpath too. If the path is wide, probably not a problem. But if it's narrow, the car might block wheelchair users or parents with children's buggies. So I accept that parking rules are there for a reason - I just think that there is scope for a little bit of give and take.

I would be 99.9% sure single lines are present on O Connell Street, I'll have a look when I'm in town later on. Single yellow lines represent parking is allowed between certain hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

There is single and double yellow lines the whole length of O'Connell street

I would be 99.9% sure single lines are present on O Connell Street, I'll have a look when I'm in town later on. Single yellow lines represent parking is allowed between certain hours.
    Fair enough - you may well be right. Will check myself next time I'm there. I thought it was all double yellow but I really couldn't swear to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

7upfree wrote: »
    Those cycle lanes that cyclists ignore - and cycle on the footpath instead? Those ones?

Yep, I wonder why?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Fair enough - you may well be right. Will check myself next time I'm there. I thought it was all double yellow but I really couldn't swear to it.

I can! There are definitely single lines on O'Connell Street. Only parked there myself on Sunday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement