Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liam Miller - An Irish Solution To An Irish Problem

• 28-07-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/liam-miller-tribute-match-set-to-go-ahead-at-pirc-u-chaoimh-alongside-hurling-curtain-raiser-37162619.html

So the GAA see the only way out of this mess is to play an additional hurling game to make it into a community event.

Considering that they are organising a meeting of Central Council could they not just consider the request given and support the fundraiser and not try to implement this hotch potch of a solution?

And then as appropriate arRange proper GAA fundraisers good GAA related causes.

In my mind it's just over complicating things and seems to outsiders to be doing the minimum to take Shane Ross and other politicians that control the purse strings off their backs.

I do not agree with Duff that they are dinosaurs. I just feel that in Tom Ryan they appointed a very "safe" director general who is afraid to make a brave decision. Joe Brolly predicted this when he was appointed. It doesnt bode well for the association going forward.

Message to GAA JUST GIVE PERMISSION FOR THE GAME AS REQUESTED AND GET ON WITH IT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This thread will probably be closed as there is another one under review.

Anyway
    Isnt it ironic, don't you think, all last week people were using Miller's GAA activity as a youth as a reason to open PUC.

Now that the GAA are using those links as a reason to add to the event there is a backlash.

Personal opinion, the GAA should have just apologized to the organisers and said they could not open PUC, but here is a whopping great cheque for Marymount Hospice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

jimd2 wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/liam-miller-tribute-match-set-to-go-ahead-at-pirc-u-chaoimh-alongside-hurling-curtain-raiser-37162619.html

So the GAA see the only way out of this mess is to play an additional hurling game to make it into a community event.

Considering that they are organising a meeting of Central Council could they not just consider the request given and support the fundraiser and not try to implement this hotch potch of a solution?

And then as appropriate arRange proper GAA fundraisers good GAA related causes.

In my mind it's just over complicating things and seems to outsiders to be doing the minimum to take Shane Ross and other politicians that control the purse strings off their backs.

I do not agree with Duff that they are dinosaurs. I just feel that in Tom Ryan they appointed a very "safe" director general who is afraid to make a brave decision. Joe Brolly predicted this when he was appointed. It doesnt bode well for the association going forward.

Message to GAA JUST GIVE PERMISSION FOR THE GAME AS REQUESTED AND GET ON WITH IT.

At the end of the day it is a GAA facility and they call the shots. As poorly as the GAA are looking in all of this the FAI look ten times worse. No facilities of their own worth speaking of.

The game is going ahead in the pairc. I suppose the issue now is the soccer heads and anti GAA people have to look for something else to run the GAA down on. Imagine playing a hurling game in a gaa stadium. Shocking stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The GAA don't have to do anything with their property that they don't want to, fair play to them for finding a solution.

Couple of questions I have from the whole thing, why can't the FAI have a ground in Cork for an event like this? What's wrong with Musgrave Park for this (the new pitch will be down in time)? Why does there need to be a fund raiser for a professional soccer player? Unfortunately 36 year olds die all the time leaving family behind them, most aren't employed in 1 of the best paid jobs in the world by the biggest club in the world, why can't be the fund raiser be for a far larder audience than just 1 family and a hospice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

At the end of the day it is a GAA facility and they call the shots. As poorly as the GAA are looking in all of this the FAI look ten times worse. No facilities of their own worth speaking of.

The game is going ahead in the pairc. I suppose the issue now is the soccer heads and anti GAA people have to look for something else to run the GAA down on. Imagine playing a hurling game in a gaa stadium. Shocking stuff.

When Wembley was being done up the English FA played their blue ribbon event (FA Cup Final) outside of their capital in another country when there was a bigger stadium with great facilities in London (Twickenham), if that happened in Ireland the GAA would get their typical lashing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I actually think its a good idea to make it a community event.
    The organizing committee would be under serious pressure to sell tickets for a charity game on a Tuesday evening. Its one thing being able to sell out Turners Cross with a 7000 capacity but thinking they could sell out PUC is a totally different kettle of fish. They could've been left with serious 'egg in the face'. I think the organizers were always well aware of this. I would honestly suggest they could attract any more than 20,000 for a stand-alone soccer game.
    Maybe Cork hurlers will be A.I. champions by then and play an All-Star selection in the curtain raiser. Could be a popular draw.
    Maybe then something in the region of 35K will attend, still cant see anything near a sell-out, but that would be decent at least.

• Advertisement

Message to JIMD2 I WOULD LIKE TO USE YOUR HOUSE TO RAISE FUNDS FOR WHAT I CONSIDER A GOOD CAUSE, JUST GIVE IT TO ME AND GET ON WITH IT.

The GAA weren't consulted at the start of this whole thing, the organisers pretty much said "we'd like to have it on it PuC but we're not let, will ye all ask the GAA to let us have it", there are events on in GAA grounds the whole time that just happen because they are done the right way, for example when the Irish Rugby team trained in Charleville GAA, the GAA have done nothing wrong here in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't see an issue with the other match but I do understand that at this late stage it will annoy people.
    GAA are a disgrace imo.

I'd love to see a breakaway from it and a professional gaelic football association formed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Even when trying to save face the GAA manages to let their greed come to the fore.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't see an issue with the other match but I do understand that at this late stage it will annoy people.
    GAA are a disgrace imo.

I'd love to see a breakaway from it and a professional gaelic football association formed.

Why are they a disgrace? They have well documented & public rules in place but have found a way around them to facilitate a solution

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Even when trying to save face the GAA manages to let their greed come to the fore.

Where does it mention the GAA getting anything out of this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

None of this would be an issue if the professional organisation had a suitable stadium to use, apart from a ground share with a different professional organisation.
    As a result it's the bad men from the GAA fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Clareman wrote: »

It doesn't..!! but posters like this will use any opportunity for a cheap shot at the GAA.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

...and the 30m that was given to fund the re-development? Were there no conditions attached?

The €80m redevelopment of Pairc Ui Chaoimh received €30m in public funding, and the EU approved the grant on condition that the stadium “will be open to various users on a non-discriminatory and transparent basis”.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/pairc-ui-chaoimhs-liam-miller-refusal-to-be-queried-by-government-472926.html

Does a mention of GAA Rule 44 (formerly Rule 42) mean this thread goes nuclear? :-(

Musgrave Park could be used, but it has too much terracing and only 3K seats - so it's not really suitable for a soccer match.

Thomond Park could be used, but it's in Limerick - and the organisers wnat it in Liam Milelr's hometown - not unreasonable...

Insisting that an exhibition hurling match be played is (IMO) petty and meaningless.

THE GAA should just stop digging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

So this other match means more money to the organisers?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Clareman wrote: »
    Message to JIMD2 I WOULD LIKE TO USE YOUR HOUSE TO RAISE FUNDS FOR WHAT I CONSIDER A GOOD CAUSE, JUST GIVE IT TO ME AND GET ON WITH IT.

The GAA weren't consulted at the start of this whole thing, the organisers pretty much said "we'd like to have it on it PuC but we're not let, will ye all ask the GAA to let us have it", there are events on in GAA grounds the whole time that just happen because they are done the right way, for example when the Irish Rugby team trained in Charleville GAA, the GAA have done nothing wrong here in my opinion
    Not a problem Clareman, you would be more than welcome once I get confirmation of my €30,000 house grant.

Clareman wrote:

Also to raise funds for injured GAA players. As I said they couldn't help themselves. Plenty of other opportunities to raise funds for injured players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Not a problem Clareman, you would be more than welcome once I get confirmation of my €30,000 house grant.

So if the government did give people tax relief or grants to buy houses (hint in some cases it does) then anybody can rock up to live there?

Let's not forget about the 191 million that did up the Aviva

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/22382.php

Decision made finally. They are discussing it on Marion Finucane now on radio 1.

She is saying it's understandable to fight for the youngsters but in your gut you know that it is right to open it up.

Great to see and I am glad they did the right thing in the end

Tax relief, first time buyer grant should cover lots of that.

The lads in the methadone clinic appreciate it, they'll be there next Tuesday

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote:

Actually it was a question from a journalist that caused the sh*tstorm the GAA found themselves the centre of. Nice story though.

Also to raise funds for injured GAA players. As I said they couldn't help themselves. Plenty of other opportunities to raise funds for injured players.

I'm sure Liam Miller had plenty of opportunities to put protection in place for his family doesn't mean a fund raiser can't happen

Actually it was a question from a journalist that caused the sh*tstorm the GAA found themselves the centre of. Nice story though.

Very loaded question from the journalist, it was almost of if it was a setup question.

So if the government did give people tax relief or grants to buy houses (hint in some cases it does) then anybody can rock up to live there?
    Not permanently live there but I would accommodate Clareman for a good cause event like this if I had received s €30k for my own events

Anyway, hopefully the people of Cork will be out in force for the event, there's over a month to sell tickets for it so no reason why it can't be a sell out.

Clareman wrote:
    I'm sure Liam Miller had plenty of opportunities to put protection in place for his family doesn't mean a fund raiser can't happen

The event was not just for the Miller family, a local hospice is also to benefit.

Clareman wrote:
    Very loaded question from the journalist, it was almost of if it was a setup question.

Tin foil hat time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

eagle eye wrote: »
    GAA are a disgrace imo.

You obviously haven't a clue.

Right, enough talk of a game weeks ago going to be played by 40 something year old millionaires, time to concentrate on hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Considering the reaction to this from people across the country I hope this event comes close to selling out and we get well over 10 million generated for the charity through this event.Considering the outcry from people across the country there should be no reason they don't make some personal contribution to the charity even if they cannot attend the game.

Secretly the Miller family and Marymount should be delighted about the furore over this issue as it has raised awareness of the event and hospice and more people than ever are surely going to contribute to the hospice.I donated money to the charity last night and yet I wouldn't have been on my mind at all if it wasn't for this PUC issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement