Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not a Classic, but my old Honda!

• 26-07-2018 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi there.
    Here's my situation and looking for advise from you knowledgeable folks.
    I've read the charter etc and gather good info but just wanted some old-fashioned advise from people in the know.

So my old car is a 1994 Jap Honda Civic.
    Not a classic I know. But I've had it for 18 years with no real issues so it's classic to me. I drive it v rarely (wife has a car we use and I cycle commute).
    I am going to buy a newer car for myself v soon and xfer my Honda insurance to it so I will have a regular car policy in my own name etc.

I am thinking of wrapping the old Civic up and storing for now but what are my options around getting 'cheap' insurance for it, so I could take it out every few months to keep it running and take to the NCT centre etc?
    I appreciate that, financially, I'd be better just declaring it off the road to save on tax and insurance and revisit it in the future, but I just want to assess my options.

Anyway, that's my story and I'd appreciate any advise you can give.

Cheers.
    Ciaran.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If you have another daily car then you can get classic insurance on it with Autoline in the North for about 220 a year.
    Tax it for three months at a time whenever you feel like driving it.
    Would love too see a pic of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Will classic policies cover Civics? If there was ever a list of cars they wouldn’t cover I’d imagine Civics would be near the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Will classic policies cover Civics? If there was ever a list of cars they wouldn’t cover I’d imagine Civics would be near the top?

They'll probably give the typical 'mass produced' excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

EPAndlee wrote: »
    They'll probably give the typical 'mass produced' excuse

It's not that. Most classic car insurers will not insure Japanese cars as classics. Probably to do with accident statistics / boy racer favourite cars many years ago. But the OP might find some that do.

Have a look for the insurance thread, OP. All the companies that provide classic insurance in Ireland are listed there. Ring them all and see what they say. And report back here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

colm_mcm wrote: »

That's why I recommended Autoline. they will cover jap cars no problem and they have no issue with make or model unlike the companies down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Have my MR2 with Autoline and it's not much older than your Civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

unkel wrote: »
    It's not that. Most classic car insurers will not insure Japanese cars as classics. Probably to do with accident statistics / boy racer favourite cars many years ago. But the OP might find some that do.

Autolibe will. I got a quote last week for a 98 Legacy GT-B for €242 with 2500 mileage limit a year. She asked if it was an import and I told her it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Hi all.
    First up, thanks to everybody who took the time to respond.
    Much appreciated and I used the info to call Autoline in NI.
    Initially they would not insure as my stated storage was my underground apartment car-park. SO i now have to store the car in my family home driveway and they then insured it for about e250, so I'll move the car there and cover it (with a car-cover!) and all is well :)

Cheers again folks for the info.

Advertisement