Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When do you start your Christmas Shopping?

• 22-07-2018 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭

I might pick up the off decoration in Brown Thomas or another shop I wouldn't be visiting in whenever I was in there early on.
    I'd pick up sweets/etc if I spot a good offer on.
    I don't really seem to buy presents until later on in November tough. Never really had luck picking them up early.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

At Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Christmas eve

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    At Christmas

When is that?
    Do you wait until the 25th December?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

The main benefit of being a lone wolf: NO CHRISTMAS SHOPPING! Except for the folks, which maybe takes 1 hour and I'll do it around start/middle December :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

In the January sales.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Usually start in August. At the moment, I haven't had a thought about any of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Usually the Friday before Christmas Eve. Book my gifts in Argos. Click and collect and out the door in 5 minutes. Maybe another ten minutes for miscellaneous gifts in boots. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Late September/Early October for the kids stuff, then its a case of just randomly picking up bits here & there for the rest of the family over the remaining weeks up to Christmas. We try to spread it out as best we can so it doesn't leave us too tight financially.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I haven't started yet but I have started putting money away. There are three birthdays in my house between now and the start of September so once they're out of the way I'll probably start.

A better question is, how many people are you buying for and how much are you budgeting? I have around nine and plan on keeping it to €50 a head. Will probably splash out a bit more for the SO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Saving from June then shopping bargains from about September. The very odd time I'd spot something in the January sales but thats not a regular thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Saving from June then shopping bargains from about September. The very odd time I'd spot something in the January sales but thats not a regular thing

Started saving in January. €10 every week. Not so much as you’d miss it but it all adds up. €300 this week. Will have €500 mid Dec which will be enough. Don’t go crazy with gifts. €150ish each on 2 teens then something for the parents, usually a hamper, and few small things for few nieces and nephews. All done with €10 a week, no stressing over big money for 1 day,

I usually start shopping start of Dec, unless I see something I really like for someone earlier. Don’t really like spreading it out too much. I like the excitement of shopping when it feels like Christmas, lights on, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Probably November for gifts, unless I see something that inspires me before then.  Food & drink wise, I tend to pick stuff up from September onwards depending on offers/vouchers etc.  Decorations/candles as and when I see them once they are in the shops. 
    Luckily they introduced a savings club at work a few years back, so €60 a month safely locked away that I cannot get until  Nov payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bainneban

heading away mid November till mid December so it will have to be before that I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Normally I start in June, then taper off by September & then have a mad rush in December but this year, I need to be on the ball as we've lots of weddings in December & I don't want to be robbing Peter to pay Paul so need to have Christmas shopping done and dusted by mid-november at the latest!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,149 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Actually we did buy five rolls of wrapping paper in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Argos 3 for 2 is on For anyone shopping ! Also just be careful and compare prices carefully as there is always a bit of an increase before the offer starts :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Don't wait til Christmas, just buy whatever I have cash for that month. There's no joy in waiting 12 months :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Regie93

I start in October, just to be certain. That's a perfect timing for me - a have plenty of time to find a perfect present for my husband and buy something useful for all family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

I start in the January sales too ! I must start sorting out what I have for people and see what I need left to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I usually start after I've been paid at the end of October. For a few months leading up to it last year, I was putting a bit of money aside each month which I found helped, so I have been putting a small bit aside every month this year. Should have 500ish come December so that should hopefully cover all presents

• Advertisement
Advertisement