Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the Oscar goes too....2018 All Stars & Footballer of the Year.

Options
  • 26-07-2018 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Seriously bored at work, soooooo...

Footballer of the Year: Dammed if I know
    Young Footballer of the Year: David Clifford

All Stars

1. Rory Beggan (stand out candidate so far, but a doubt if Monaghan don't make it to the AI semi finals stage at least imo)
    2. Johnny Cooper
    8. Brian Fenton
    13. Damien Comer
    14. Michael Murphy
    15. Conor McManus

Ok boys and girls, fill in the blanks. Remember under the new format, you don't need to nominate someone in their particular postion, just in their general line.

Am passing the hurling baton over to more knowledgeable folk than me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I expect Galway to get to the final and in that case I can see Comer, Shane Walsh and Tom Flynn being the main contenders, with Eoghan Kerin also a great shout, and Cathal Sweeney and Sean Kelly more outside bets

I don't think anyone from Kerry will get one unless they make the semi and if they lose a semi it'll probably only be one

Other losing semi finalist will probably have one too. Donegal may get one if they don't make semi as a provincial winner

I expect Dublin to win the AI and hoover up a few, but they'll be mainly based on their semi and final. Even Mannion, KK and COC who haven't really set the world alight so far could get ones yet - its all recency effect

I think Shane Walsh is a decent bet for FOTY

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jr86 wrote: »
    I expect Galway to get to the final and in that case I can see Comer, Shane Walsh and Tom Flynn being the main contenders, with Eoghan Kerin also a great shout, and Cathal Sweeney and Sean Kelly more outside bets

I don't think anyone from Kerry will get one unless they make the semi and if they lose a semi it'll probably only be one

Other losing semi finalist will probably have one too. Donegal may get one if they don't make semi as a provincial winner

I expect Dublin to win the AI and hoover up a few, but they'll be mainly based on their semi and final. Even Mannion, KK and COC who haven't really set the world alight so far could get ones yet - its all recency effect

I think Shane Walsh is a decent bet for FOTY

David Clifford gets one regardless of Kerry's finishing position.

Even if they get to the SF I can't think of another Kerry player getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I thought Clifford would be nailed on for Young Player of the year but if Kerry don't make the semis and Bryan Howard has a couple more games in the semis and final like the last two he just had he may even nick that award.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Comer in but no Ian Burke?

burke been galways best player this year - Comer has been poor or average at best in most games apart from last sunday.

monaghan #7 is a shoe in so far also, i cant remember his name.

Completely forgot Ian Burke myself actually. He'll surely get one

With himself Mcmanus and Comer competing in the FF line and probably a Dublin player or two if they win the AI, I don't see Clifford getting one if Kerry go out in the super 8s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

From a Dublin POV based on season so far - Cooper, Howard, Fenton and maybe McCarthy.
    Murchan could be an outside bet if Dublin make the final and he continues the form he has shown the past 2 games.
    Few suggestions below:

1) Beggan (Mon) or Lavelle (Gal)
    2) Kyne (Gal)
    3) Cooper (Dub)
    4) Kelly (Kil)
    5) Howard (Dub) (sadly won't get young player of the year because they've been dying to give it to Clifford since he was first year minor but if Dublin get to the final he might be an outside chance of POTY)
    6) McCarthy (Dub)
    7) Harte (Tyr)
    8) Fenton (Dub)
    9) Murphy (Don)
    10) Burke (Gal)
    11) N Flynn (Kil)
    12) Sludden (Tyr)
    13) Clifford (Ky)
    14) Walsh (Gal)
    15) McManus (Mon)

Honourable mentions Kilkenny (Dub) McAliskey (Tyr) O'Shea (Ky) Feely (Kil) Wylie (Mon) McCaffrey (Dub) Flynn (Kil) Murtagh (Ros)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

jr86 wrote: »
    Completely forgot Ian Burke myself actually. He'll surely get one

With himself Mcmanus and Comer competing in the FF line and probably a Dublin player or two if they win the AI, I don't see Clifford getting one if Kerry go out in the super 8s.

several players have gotten awards ourside of the positons they have played in.

comer as it stands, will not get an all star. theres 2 if not 3 galway forwards ahead of him.

In fairness Comer absolutely cut loose v Sligo (I was at it in Salthill) and ran Mayo ragged early on before they went very defensive after DOC's red card. He might have been quiet by his standards against Roscommon and Kerry but he was superb again the last day and he will be their main focal point in all their remaining matches.

He's their captain, and main big name along with Shane Walsh, if they make a final (which I think they will) he's a near certainty really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

Clifford will be an all star

The media are already in love

If Galway knock Monaghan out and mc manus is average does he get one?

IMO the stand out Monaghan player has been karl o Connell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

As is the norm lately, the consolation prize of POTY will go to one of the losing finalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Niall Kearns has enjoyed a fine debut championship at midfield for Monaghan too, but I can see Murphy been allocated there to accommodate a couple more forwards.

Beggan

Kyne
    Cooper
    EB Gallagher (outstanding all year, but injury might see him miss out now)

Howard
    McCarthy
    O'Connell

Fenton
    Murphy

Sludden
    Walsh
    Kilkenny

Clifford
    Comer
    McManus

Seems the most fairly distributed, as things stand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Ciaran Kilkenny will probably get one too

David Clarke for GK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

From a Dublin POV based on season so far - Cooper, Howard, Fenton and maybe McCarthy.
    Murchan could be an outside bet if Dublin make the final and he continues the form he has shown the past 2 games.
    Few suggestions below:

1) Beggan (Mon) or Lavelle (Gal)
    2) Kyne (Gal)
    3) Cooper (Dub)
    4) Kelly (Kil)
    5) Howard (Dub) (sadly won't get young player of the year because they've been dying to give it to Clifford since he was first year minor but if Dublin get to the final he might be an outside chance of POTY)
    6) McCarthy (Dub)
    7) Harte (Tyr)
    8) Fenton (Dub)
    9) Murphy (Don)
    10) Burke (Gal)
    11) N Flynn (Kil)
    12) Sludden (Tyr)
    13) Clifford (Ky)
    14) Walsh (Gal)
    15) McManus (Mon)

Honourable mentions Kilkenny (Dub) McAliskey (Tyr) O'Shea (Ky) Feely (Kil) Wylie (Mon) McCaffrey (Dub) Flynn (Kil) Murtagh (Ros)

Just wondering; how could Howrd get player of the year, if he doesn't win young player of the year. If they are saying that Clifford has had a better year then him in one category, then how can they say the Howard is better than Clifford in a different category, but based on same criteria.
    Watching Howard play in the past 2 games has been a joy. What a fetcher of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sean Kelly for YPOTY? Quietly excellent all year; also on the NUIG team that reached Sigerson final.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Aidan O'Shea nailed on, again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

MfMan wrote:
    Sean Kelly for YPOTY? Quietly excellent all year; also on the NUIG team that reached Sigerson final.

It's only the championship I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I can see Clifford getting the YPOTY but not an all star, if the competition in the FF line is particularly tough. They tend to spread the awards out like that at times. That's unless he's unreal in his next 1/2 games and puts it beyond doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

C__MC wrote: »
    David Clarke for GK

Have to agree. Tom Parsons and Seamie O'Shea deserve one each too, as their injuries robbed Mayo of this year's All-Ireland. The normal awards for Lee Keegan (who would have ensured they beat Galway and the whole summer different) and the two O'Connor brothers to round out Mayo's six All-Stars.

Oops, I forgot Andy Moran. Make it seven, they all deserve it.

Post made in jest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Lavelle has been pretty good this year but hard to justify giving any keeper it other than Beggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Niall Kearns has enjoyed a fine debut championship at midfield for Monaghan too, but I can see Murphy been allocated there to accommodate a couple more forwards.

Beggan

Kyne
    Cooper
    EB Gallagher (outstanding all year, but injury might see him miss out now)

Howard
    McCarthy
    O'Connell

Fenton
    Murphy

Sludden
    Walsh
    Kilkenny

Clifford
    Comer
    McManus

Seems the most fairly distributed, as things stand

Seems a fair enough mix. Couple of expections...Kerin way before Kyne, best Galway defender by a distance. Don't think EBG can get one really now despite the excellent year, so maybe whoever puts his hand up from now on in that position. Half back line is very solid. Kilkenny doesn't deserve one yet but will likely be a key figure going forward. Similar for Comer who'll probably be fighting with Burke for one spot. Beggan Fenton and Murphy look the certs at this stage. Howard surely very close also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Its quite hilarious to see the Dub's obsession with Mayo and all things Mayo, its a back handed compliment if anything I guess. You would have thought that the obsession would be the other way around?

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Its quite hilarious to see the Dub's obsession with Mayo and all things Mayo, its a back handed compliment if anything I guess. You would have thought that the obsession would be the other way around?

The are gone delirious, now that their path to a 4th all-Ireland will be unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

ProudDUB wrote: »

All Stars

1. Rory Beggan (stand out candidate so far, but a doubt if Monaghan don't make it to the AI semi finals stage at least imo)
    2. Johnny Cooper
    8. Brian Fenton
    13. Damien Comer
    14. Michael Murphy
    15. Conor McManus

Ok boys and girls, fill in the blanks. Remember under the new format, you don't need to nominate someone in their particular postion, just in their general line.

Don't see why Comer is there? OTOH if he does get an all-star Galway might go close to Dublin cos he would want to be MOTM in the semi and final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Pogue eile wrote: »

Ah jest can't quit yew. (Geddit? ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

ProudDUB wrote: »

All Stars

2. Johnny Cooper
    8. Brian Fenton
    13. Damien Comer
    14. Michael Murphy
    15. Conor McManus

Kal O’Connell at no 7? He’s been excellent all year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wonder will the Super 8s structure mean a wider spread of counties getting football All-Stars.
    In the past, if you didn't at least make a semi-final, you've probably not played enough games. But now a team knocked out on the Super 8s has still played a lot.

• Advertisement

I wonder will the Super 8s structure mean a wider spread of counties getting football All-Stars.
    In the past, if you didn't at least make a semi-final, you've probably not played enough games. But now a team knocked out on the Super 8s has still played a lot.

Good point. Rory Beggan could definitely benefit from this. If Kerry pip Monaghan this weekend, he would still be nailed on as favourite if he has decent game on Saturday, unless one of the other keepers does something exceptional in the next month.

Advertisement