Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mary Queen of Scots (2018)

• 06-07-2018 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭

Due out in the UK & Ireland next January, and the USA in late December, presumably to meet the AMPAS cutoff date. Saoirse Ronan stars in the title role, with Margot Robbie as Queen Elizabeth. Also features David Tennant, Brendan Coyle, Guy Pearce, Jack Lowden (Calibre) as the ill-fated Lord Darnley, and Joe Alwyn (Taylor Swift's current boyfriend) as Robert Dudley, Queen Elizabeth's right-hand (?) man.

The casting leads me to think this will not be a strictly historic biopic, but that some revisionist liberties will be taken. The director, Josie Rourke, has mostly worked in theatre as Artistic Director of the Donmar Warehouse, and her production of Coriolanus with Tom Hiddleston was well-received and recorded for broadcast.

There's no trailer yet, so it's hard to say more than that, but there are some good photos on IMDB:

MV5BMTY4NTQ2MzcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTgwMjUyMzI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,749,1000_AL_.jpg

MV5BZmVlMTllNjEtYWE5Zi00MzVkLTk4MzEtMGQ3NDMxMjI3ZDJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjAzNzg5MjI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,803,1000_AL_.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Proper production values, etc, etc. Primed for Oscar season. Good trailer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Is it just me or does anyone else think Margot looks completely horrible in every frame, something I thought completely impossible?

Definitely another Oscar contender for Saoirse anyway by the looks of it, and goddamn she's deserving of one as well. Though I wonder how long before the British media try and claim her as one of their own :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

jaxxx wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone else think Margot looks completely horrible in every frame, something I thought completely impossible?

She’s playing Elizabeth I who contracted smallpox in her 20s, so her appearance will presumably deteriorate over the course of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One comment on the trailer says it's inaccurate because Mary is speaking with a Scots accent: the theory goes that because Mary lived in France from the age of five and had all her education there, she would have spoken with a French accent. However, that's not necessarily true: she went there with a full court of Scots retainers who stayed with her. It wasn't "total immersion".

(I also have a counter-example in myself: I grew up in South Africa from the age of six, but never developed a South African accent because I had English-speakers around me most of the time, including at school. Afrikaans was a second language, and I can put on the accent if I want to ... but nobody wants that.)

If accuracy was critical, I'd be more concerned about height: Mary was about 5'11, up to six inches taller than Queen Elizabeth, so we'd want to see Karen Gillan in the role. I'm not too bothered. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

Saoirse Ronan: Jack of all accents, master of none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Definitely another Oscar contender for Saoirse anyway by the looks of it, and goddamn she's deserving of one as well. Though I wonder how long before the British media try and claim her as one of their own :rolleyes:

Why would the British media claim a New York born actress who would actually claim someone born in another Country. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it's a bit much getting upset over something that hasn't actually happened.

She does live over there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sure William Wallace came back from France with a Scottish accent, Braveheart showed us that!
    Ronan's accent is proper braw!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

bnt wrote: »
    One comment on the trailer says it's inaccurate because Mary is speaking with a Scots accent: the theory goes that because Mary lived in France from the age of five and had all her education there, she would have spoken with a French accent. However, that's not necessarily true: she went there with a full court of Scots retainers who stayed with her. It wasn't "total immersion".

If accuracy was critical, I'd be more concerned about height: Mary was about 5'11, up to six inches taller than Queen Elizabeth, so we'd want to see Karen Gillan in the role. I'm not too bothered. :cool:

They also never actually met one another. I don't think the film will be that bothered with accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

(I also have a counter-example in myself: I grew up in South Africa from the age of six, but never developed a South African accent because I had English-speakers around me most of the time, including at school. Afrikaans was a second language, and I can put on the accent if I want to ... but nobody wants that.)

Mary was also nearly 20 years older than Liz but these films nearly always mangle the historical side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Mary was also nearly 20 years older than Liz but these films nearly always mangle the historical side of things.

Mary Queen of Scots was born in 1542, Elizabeth I in 1533.

Perhaps you are thinking of Elizabeth's sister, Mary l (bloody Mary) born in 1516.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Speedsie wrote: »
    Mary Queen of Scots was born in 1542, Elizabeth I in 1533.

Perhaps you are thinking of Elizabeth's sister, Mary l (bloody Mary) born in 1516.
    That's her. I'm a bit of a mangler myself :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

In the many films made about her she was always depicted as a dark haired woman. But in times of GoT and Netflix 'The Crown' they can do what they want and as they please and don't give a fiddlers about much accuracy. It is entertainment that counts in the first place, everything else is just some 'attachment' for dramatisation.

Not sure whether I am going to watch that film. First I will look what the trailer has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Second trailer. Robbie is unrecognizable in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Though I wonder how long before the British media try and claim her as one of their own :rolleyes:

they can have her, she's a pain in the hole

anyway don't we claim Daniel Day Lewis??

• Registered Users Posts: 84,807 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone thinking :o :P

th?id=OIP.8B7OEwGC9JTlRoc4oOzHhQHaK9&pid=15.1&rs=1&c=1&qlt=95&w=81&h=120

th?id=OIP.tM7tTwvtwKFIfddXjHLhqwHaFj&pid=15.1&P=0&w=224&h=169

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Terrible load of old cobblers historically, though I did find myself enjoying this.
    I found it just a tiny bit long.
    I thought Margot Robbie was excellent, as was the guy playing Mary's half brother (James McArdle).
    They certainly didn't mess about in those days - and we thought the FFers were double dealers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it on Friday, and I thought it was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭smallgarden

I was a bit bored for most of it. I have watched Reign recently which covered a lot of it, with a few little differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I really enjoyed this film I have to say. Both Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie were excellent. My knowledge of the English monarchy is basic at best so I didn't notice the historical inaccuracies really, though I know that Mary and Elizabeth I never met alright. I think that scene added to the film though, it would have seemed a bit unresolved if there wasn't a meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was surprised by how little Margot Robbie was in this overall. I just thought it was ok. I thought the direction was a bit bland. The one battle in it was very bloodless. Some of the casting choices threw me and left me scratching my head, taking me out of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I enjoyed it overall (despite the historical inaccuracies). Margot's performance in particular.

Usually can't abide Ronan but she was more tolerable here. Perhaps because she was playing a somewhat unsavory character.

I think she has that in common with Streep, in that she'll always have to play a woman who's at least slightly unpleasant given how she, like Streep, injects a large chunk of her own personality into her performances.

Both have a coldness that neither (imv) appear to be able to leave in their trailer and so warm characters are (and were in the case of Streep) never going to be within her range.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think squeezing Ronan and Robbie into the same film was a mistake: I get the thematic reasons for using the two women, trying as it was to draw parallels between the two cousins' lives, to insinuate some kind of tragic, long-distance kinship.

The end result though just made the film feel disjointed and more than a little structureless; neither locations ever had enough room to develop, and the constant jumping between Hollyrood & London left the narrative feeling like a series of reactions to letters, than any kind of living narrative story. A bit of a slog really, if truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I feel like I should have enjoyed it less then I actually did. Although I do like movies and TV shows from that time period (e.g. Wolf Hall) so I also enjoyed the type of language and costumes.

For me Saoirse gave the stronger performance, I personally did not think Margot had the accent down she seemed to struggle throughout the movie and I heard the Aussie slip through a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Wasn't really in the humor for this when I went to see it last night, but ended up thinking it was quite good, both leads are excellent and it tells a fairly complex story pretty well in a two hour window.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭corminators

Appalling film. I'll consider not going to the cinema any more if this is where we've got to. Shovelling homosexuality and multiculturalism in every scene for no reason.
    Bizarre stuff.

Appalling film. I'll consider not going to the cinema any more if this is where we've got to. Shovelling homosexuality and multiculturalism in every scene for no reason.
    Bizarre stuff.

Inserting social philosophy into popular film is the new product placement. No need for shiny Coke cans anymore!

El Rifle wrote: »
    Inserting social philosophy into popular film is the new product placement. No need for shiny Coke cans anymore!

Yeah exactly. It reminded me when James bond took out a Sony laptop and popped me right out of the film.
    It's so overdone it doesn't work.

*Shakes fist at Tavistock institute*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If it was a HP, would that be ok?

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    If it was a HP, would that be ok?

Maybe. But not an apple as they are white. It's not politically correct to have a white one.
    White bad.

Advertisement