Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway v Monaghan

• 25-07-2018 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭

How do people see this going?

Do Galway put 3 weeks of training in and go at the dubs in a semi final? Essentially conceding this game with a second string.

Or will they go full blooded at this game to avoid Dublin?

How will Monaghan’s mind set be? That wait to beat a big gun goes on. Surely Mc manus and o Connell won’t get that freedom in Salthill like they did in clones. I don’t know why but I think Monaghan could struggle to replicate the performance they put in on Sunday. For 73 mins, they where outstanding Sunday.

But again it all depends on how Galway approach the game.

It’s going to be interesting to say the least.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I fancy Monaghan to win this. Not because Galway are throwing it / resting guys.
    Its a fairly 50/50 game anyway but that extra incentive for Monaghan should se them through

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Firstly I don't think Galway will have any intention of throwing this game to get to Dublin in a SF, a final is the goal at least the the easier route to that is to avoid Dublin.

As for the game itself Monaghan will not have the comfort of McManus having the free roll he had v Kerry so that's Monaghans major attacking weapon curtailed.

But saying that any free given away 50 yards and less from goal is Beggan scoring terrority, wind depending of course.

Galway have lived dangerously for the last three games, and what I mean by that is that they have squandered so many scoring chances and have been in some ways fortunate for it not to come back and bite them.

Both made heavy work of beating the percieved worst team in the group and both looked well in control overall against Kerry.

At the end of the day I think Monaghan are a bit more rounded as a team and might just about prevail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭threeball

There's no way Galway go handy in this one and it's not for fear of meeting Dublin in the semi. It's down to the momentum and confidence winning brings. They'll want to carry that in to a semi especially seen as the only team who have contained them all year are Dublin.

The midfield injuries are a worry but we have a better bench than Monaghan everywhere else and more scoring threats. They've also shown that they can close out tight games or press the accelerator when needed which Monaghan haven't been able to do.

Monaghan as a team have to work extremely hard to match the better teams and I think it tells in the second half. Galways substitutes have made a huge difference in every game so far. The same can't be said for Monaghan.

Yes, Monaghan can win but all logic would point to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

threeball wrote: »
    There's no way Galway go handy in this one and it's not for fear of meeting Dublin in the semi. It's down to the momentum and confidence winning brings. They'll want to carry that in to a semi especially seen as the only team who have contained them all year are Dublin.

The midfield injuries are a worry but we have a better bench than Monaghan everywhere else and more scoring threats. They've also shown that they can close out tight games or press the accelerator when needed which Monaghan haven't been able to do.

Monaghan as a team have to work extremely hard to match the better teams and I think it tells in the second half. Galways substitutes have made a huge difference in every game so far. The same can't be said for Monaghan.

This is the reason Galway have to treat it like a must win championship match. I would be very surprised if there were a lot of changes. However, Sean Og DePaor says he expects players like Duane, Varley, Armstrong & McHugh to be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

threeball wrote: »

I won't say that all logic points to Galway, some certainly does, but a lot points to it being very close also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

I think Monaghan performance last Sunday was quite suberb until 65 mins. They became leggy in the last 10. Both are teams are defensive enough, id say it could well be a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,306 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Monaghan's subs didn't work against Kerry. it upset the balance that they had, forced the backs to move the line back and that was ideal for the long ball into Donaghy.
    They will learn from that.
    They haven't been a great second half team all year so if the work is done there then I think they can close out games.
    Man marking McManus tends to give other players that wee bit of extra space and time to score as well.
    I honestly cannot see Galway fully commit to this game although they will give it a go. I know I would be critical of a manager for sacrificing players when already through.
    Can Monaghan capitalise on their minds being on the semi's. I think so. Monaghan by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭threeball

This is the reason Galway have to treat it like a must win championship match. I would be very surprised if there were a lot of changes. However, Sean Og DePaor says he expects players like Duane, Varley, Armstrong & McHugh to be starting.

Not severely weakening the team bringing those guys in but not minding the guys people said we should be minding. So is it more a case of bringing these guys up to speed for the challenge ahead. Not going out to win it would be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I think Monaghan will edge it but not making same prediction with any great conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

The swirling Salthill wind could be Beggans greatest opponent.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    I think Monaghan will edge it but not making same prediction with any great conviction.

Very much a 50/50 game alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It'll be early August when the game takes place and Galway have lost one competitive game all year. The league final against Dublin. Strangely enough they might still be underrated despite all that. Tomas O'Se on The Sunday Game last week said he's still not sure about Galway. Heard Alan Brogan say the same on the radio during the week. The Marty Squad after the Monaghan v Kerry game practically had Monaghan only needing to turn up in Salthill to collect the points.

Ultimately when you look at both sides one team has the best forward on show and the other side has a much bigger spread of scoring ability and a deeper bench. Defensively it's probably a wash as neither side give up very many goal chances. Beggan is a big advantage to Monaghan but Salthill might be the hardest place to kick long range frees in the country unless the day is flat calm. Galway will put a lot of thought into removing McManus from the game. Somethimg Kerry defnitely didn't do.

I'm not convinced Galway will play all their big guns from the start though and anyone with a knock won't be risked. Monaghan have an advatage there as they have to go for it 100%. Galway may end up being caught between stools as they don't absolutely have to win the game to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It'll be early August when the game takes place and Galway have lost one competitive game all year. The league final against Dublin. Strangely enough they might still be underrated despite all that. Tomas O'Se on The Sunday Game last week said he's still not sure about Galway. Heard Alan Brogan say the same on the radio during the week. The Marty Squad after the Monaghan v Kerry game practically had Monaghan only needing to turn up in Salthill to collect the points.

Ultimately when you look at both sides one team has the best forward on show and the other side has a much bigger spread of scoring ability and a deeper bench. Defensively it's probably a wash as neither side give up very many goal chances. Beggan is a big advantage to Monaghan but Salthill might be the hardest place to kick long range frees in the country unless the day is flat calm. Galway will put a lot of thought into removing McManus from the game. Somethimg Kerry defnitely didn't do.

I'm not convinced Galway will play all their big guns from the start though and anyone with a knock won't be risked. Monaghan have an advatage there as they have to go for it 100%. Galway may end up being caught between stools as they don't absolutely have to win the game to progress.

Difficult decision for Kevin Walsh but I think I agree. Say all you want about momentum, but even subconsciously Galway can’t possibly want this as much as Monaghan, and they don’t want to pick up any injuries. I’d expect several changes. If nothing else it’s a great opportunity to give some of the fringe players a meaningful game.

Fair play to Walsh if he treats it like a must win. As a kerryman I hope he goes for the win with his full team but I don’t see it.

The worst outcome possible is that they get caught between two minds, put out their full team knowing they are already through, and get beaten. They’ll then face a Dublin team a week later who will have had a chance to sharpen their axe against Roscommon. It would be difficult to back them in a game like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Monaghan by 2 but just about!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

meriwether wrote: »
    The swirling Salthill wind could be Beggans greatest opponent.

He kicked 3 wide when there was a bare bit of a breeze into his face and Donaghy was giving him a bit of lip the last day which is something that will not have escaped Kevin Walsh. But his kicking in the first half should go down as some of the all time great frees, the first one up there with Maurice Fitz in Thurles even though I know that was sideline

BPKS wrote: »
    He kicked 3 wide when there was a bare bit of a breeze into his face and Donaghy was giving him a bit of lip the last day which is something that will not have escaped Kevin Walsh. But his kicking in the first half should go down as some of the all time great frees, the first one up there with Maurice Fitz in Thurles even though I know that was sideline

Donaghy was doing more than giving lip, he was physically interfering with him, in fairness.

He is no sportsman our Kieran. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I don’t see much point in Galway not going flat out for the win. The bottom line is they want to be in the All Ireland final and the most logical way of getting there is beating Monaghan and winning the following weekend. Tyrone and Donegal will have a fully committed battle on the Sunday so Galway certainly won’t be at a comparative disadvantage to the winner there if they put out a full team and win.

Of course there’s a risk someone could get a knock or sent off but that’s the way it goes.

I’m thinking of going to the game, and as it’s at 6 on a Saturday evening, I’ll probably stay over.
    Any recommendations for a hotel/doss house suitable to pearse stadium and good pubs.
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Consey

cjmc wrote: »
    I’m thinking of going to the game, and as it’s at 6 on a Saturday evening, I’ll probably stay over.
    Any recommendations for a hotel/doss house suitable to pearse stadium and good pubs.

Eh, you might be lucky to get a square inch under the promenade at Salthill.

It's August BH weekend in one of the busiest tourist spots in Ireland, Galway Races are on and there's some sort of match in Salthill.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

cjmc wrote: »

Bear in mind it'll be August bank holiday weekend and also the end of race week. Mayhem in other words.

• Advertisement

Bear in mind it'll be August bank holiday weekend and also the end of race week. Mayhem in other words.

I never thought of the BH weekend!!

Advertisement