Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ministry

• 24-07-2018 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭

So ended up in Dublin for a day out and had a mix up with the bus back home and ended up going to Ministry in the Tivoli. My mate is a big fan and i never heard of them so went on a wim

My Christ it was loud, brutal and very dangerous but there a top class band and there songs had meaning. I'll be adding a few of there songs to my playlist

The venue is mental, barley any security, huge mosh pits, lads doing drugs openly

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They've been a guilty pleasure of mine since I ended up with bad blood on 3 compilation albums a few years back. They've been very outspoken In their music about how they've been treated by the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ears are ringing so bad

First time standing at this type of small venue gig and it will be my last lol

Leave the hall !! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Been a fan since I heard Jesus Built my Hotrod on the 2fm metal show many years ago. Although their more recent output hasn't been great, Psalm 69 is for my money the best industrial metal album ever made and it still sounds fresh and "dangerous" today, despite coming out over 25 years ago. Wasnt able to attend last night as family commitments mean I have to pick and choose my gigs carefully. I believe they are super live.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Layne

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ears are ringing so bad

Not to sound like an old fart but you would want to watch the loud band in small venue situation.
    Saw Mastodon in the Savoy in Cork a couple of years back and they nearly blew my hearing completely, ears ringing for a couple of days after. I wear ear peace earplugs now, they are great for peace of mind.

As for Ministry, some band. As Business Cat said Psalm 69 was probably their high point. NWO, Just One Fix, Psalm 69, epic stuff.
    Saw them in Brixton Academy when they were touring Filth Pig. Was standing behind the sound desk and the place was jointed. No exaggeration, the entire place was literally shaking. I remember them doing an extended version of Welcome to the Fall on the night, great gig. Al was looking pretty fecked back then, don't know how he managed to keep going all these years since.

For those interested they released a fantastic live concert called In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up back in the day, it was only released as a CD and Video tape (showing my age now). Remember seeing the video and it blew my mind. Don't think they ever released a DVD version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I thought they were pretty poor last night. 6th time seeing them live and definitely the worst. The new album is bereft of ideas apart from sampling Trump and repeating ad-nauseum. Ok for 1 song but not ten of them. Especially when they already did their whole POTUS bashing on Bush across 3 albums a few years ago.

Still, on their day, they are a phenomenal band. Oddly enough, my favourite album is the Cover up one. Their take on other band's classics is interesting and really allows some rather poor songs to shine. Filth pig and psalm 69 run a close second /third.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭hellyeah

Was at this last night, went with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. Considering jourgensons age of 59, he still gets around the stage and puts on a good show. Pretty tight band, as said newer stuff not so good, but the oldies went down a storm and the place was hopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ears are ringing so bad

I love being rendered deaf by a band. It's stupid, but I love it.

Went to see Melt Banana play in a tiny venue last year. It was so loud, like a fire alarm going off in your head for a full hour. My hearing was shot for about 3-4 days afterwards and I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

They're playing in November in the National Stadium - anyone been there for a gig before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Sorry to say this has been cancelled since without much reason from the band themselves just an update from the Damnation Festival. Guessing costs overall.

The National Stadium is an odd one - good standing room and seats surrounding but the smell of hot dogs is bizarre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭thebourke

wouldnt be a huge fan of the national stadium..badly needs some upgrading....was there for testament/exodus and death angel a few years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

This festival they cancelled appears a mystery the only one they were seemingly booked for was Damnation by the looks of things.

Advertisement